Music Video | New York | News | Taylor Swift

Watch: Gay Remake of Taylor Swift's 'You Belong with Me' Video

Ybtm

Here's a cute remake of Taylor Swift's "You Belong with Me" video made by students at the University of Rochester in New York.

Watch both versions, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's the original:

Comments

1. Hey, my alma mater! Go UR!

Posted by: pistolpetey | Mar 9, 2010 12:12:26 PM

2. Um... where is the kiss? Such a nice attempt, but they completely bottled it at the end.

Posted by: Andrew W | Mar 9, 2010 12:22:02 PM

3. I didn't know this was the "gay version" of anything. But certainly know it is a campy and nerdy version rather than a gay one. Go stereotype go! Sort of.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Mar 9, 2010 12:35:07 PM

4. I need some insulin - but that's sweet.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 9, 2010 12:36:03 PM

5. ACTUALLY... The "gay" version was made by the University of Rochester YellowJackets. Check out the original version here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkK0bfJhYhw

They played the video during a live performance.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 9, 2010 12:40:26 PM

6. Love it - thanks. It gave me nice feeling.

Posted by: Ben | Mar 9, 2010 12:43:26 PM

7. Cringe inducing...me no like...and it helps to know the words of the song when you're lip-syncing.

Posted by: spider monkey | Mar 9, 2010 12:44:47 PM

8. Gay fantasy much?

But they did a lovely job.

Posted by: Bakeley | Mar 9, 2010 12:47:20 PM

9. WOW, that was really sweet. Anyone who wouldn't like that has a stone for a heart.

Posted by: Jake M | Mar 9, 2010 12:48:20 PM

10. Did some research. The video was done by the UR Yellowjackets, a well-known a capella male singing group, to accompany their cover of the song during a live performance (the action, and lip-syncing at the link actually match!). The guys who played the male couple are members of the singing group -- so maybe they didn't want to kiss? It's called a "parody," tho I doubt it was intended that way.

The video at the link does, however, include a Kanye dig (re the Taylor Swift/Beyonce bru-hah-ha at whatever awards show that was....). The Yellowjacket video is also on YouTube (and apparently all over the internet....)

Link to the YouTube copy

Posted by: pistolpetey | Mar 9, 2010 12:49:39 PM

11. They did a very professional job for such a low budget project, and it is very sweet and gay-positive. The kids did good.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 9, 2010 12:50:30 PM

12. I thought it was cute, and the actors are ADORABLE.

One thing ruined it for me. Very unfortunate that the "other woman" was an actual woman... I mean, if you're going to re-do a video story as a "gay" version then the guy's ex should've been a guy, right? Right??

For that reason alone, I prefer the original.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 9, 2010 12:51:45 PM

13. This version is much better than the a capella one, if only for sound quality. The original is too nosiy and there are too many people offensively laughing at it.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 9, 2010 12:53:16 PM

14. Not to complain about semantics, but shouldn't the jock be dating a (hot) guy then leave him for the nerd/geek?

Posted by: S. | Mar 9, 2010 12:53:50 PM

15. @Spider Monkey: the lip-syncing matches the a capella version (that bugged me too).

@Bobby: I didn't interpret it as offensive laughter (I could be wrong). In fact, I think I heard some supportive cheers? It was hard to hear the singing, though, unfortch.

Posted by: pistolpetey | Mar 9, 2010 1:03:29 PM

16. FYI maybe I can answer a couple of questions. I'm the guy who put Taylor Swift's song over the video. The reason the lips don't match the song is because this version is 30 seconds shorter than the original version. I padded it with a few brief duplicate scnes (if you look closely) to help solve the problem but I could only do so much. It was made to accompany the a capella group's song, which is not the ideal soundtrack for this - the original song is, really. There is no kiss at the end because the guys made it that way, unfortunately.

Posted by: William | Mar 9, 2010 1:03:39 PM

17. The kiss at the end is a curious thing to leave out. Why stop there?

Posted by: Mona | Mar 9, 2010 1:20:33 PM

18. This video strikes me as unbelievably cute and sweet. The performers are not only hot as all hell, but adorable in their roles! It yanks the heart strings right out of my chest. Lookit the blood!

Anyway, I would have liked a kiss too, -especially- between these boys(I have a thing for nerd-bois and hot jocks, it's genetic) However, the expression on Danny's face(adorable nerd-boi) at the final frames did the whole video for me.

I think the original a-capella video was better only because the audience cheered wildly and what some comments on this list mentioned as "mocking laughter" struck me as sincere amusement at the funny parts. Please, take the video in context before you gargle vinegar and spew?

I applaud the Yellowjackets for making this video, thank you!

Posted by: Don | Mar 9, 2010 1:27:35 PM

19. Oh, and a follow up thought,

Some comments complained about a woman in this video. I think it reflects real life for some young folks nowadays. The benefit of sexuality and orientation not mattering as much to them is that there seems to be less stigma attached to freely dating same sex as well as opposite. It simply isn't as big a deal anymore. Get with the times, Mary! I think it is a great, positive, and subtle message.

Posted by: Don | Mar 9, 2010 1:37:02 PM

20. I agree with Sparks. The "other woman" should have been a man. I also think that leaving out the kiss at the end sends a bad message: guys kissing guys = icky!

(guy playing the jock = hubba hubba!)

Posted by: David in Houston | Mar 9, 2010 1:44:04 PM

21. i'm with don, 100%.

and i think it was pretty rude not crediting the UR yellowjackets right ON the adaptation, even if you DID get permission to use their images (which i doubt).

Posted by: jack | Mar 9, 2010 1:59:56 PM

22. Anyone who thinks this video sends an ANTI-gay message has too much time on their hands to wallow in their own self-pity.

Posted by: Robert | Mar 9, 2010 2:03:30 PM

23. Actually it's funny because it's how I have always pictured this song. A guy singing it about a guy he has a crush on who is seeing a girl. If you listen to the words the guy is obviously dating a girl but the lyrics of the person singing it our gender neutral. Short skirts to t-shirts, high heels to sneakers. Every time I heard this song this is what I envisioned.

Posted by: Tim W | Mar 9, 2010 2:05:10 PM

24. @ Sparks: I agree. As soon as I saw the woman in the car, I said to myself, "Huh?"

@ Don: I agree with you as well. I do believe in free love and that bisexuals do exist; however, I don't agree that that was the message in this video.

Leaving out the kiss - terrible idea. Meredith Vieira must have disapproved.

Posted by: JNJ | Mar 9, 2010 2:05:31 PM

25. These guys were doing a positive gay portayal of this song but it's very possible than one or both may be straight and just weren't comfortable with the kiss. It's silly to trash it because they didn't kiss. I still think it was incredibly sweet and it's great that they did it.

Posted by: Tim W | Mar 9, 2010 2:13:24 PM