American Idol | David Archuleta | I'm Not Gay | New York | News | Nightlife

BigGayDeal.com

David Archuleta's Twitter Panic: Don't Worry, I'm Not Gay

David Archuleta took to Twitter last night after a report was published that he had been spotted at NYC's gay nightspot Club 57, despite the fact that the report acknowledged that he was only there to see dance artist Charice perform:

"So, was David bumping and grinding with some steamy Dominican muscle man? Hardly. David was there with his friend Charice, who performed a dance remix of her current hit single, 'Pyramid' at the coveted 1:30 a.m. spot. Reportedly, however, Charice and her entourage, which included David and his old band mate Eli, did do something terribly scandalous after the performance: They went to a local Pinkberry for ice cream."

Archuleta
Wrote Archuleta: "Mental note to self: always ask where before you go! Wasn't my kind of place lol, and I had no clue! I guess you live and learn."

He later added: "I wouldn't get into things like that intentionally haha."

And finally, "I didn't want you guys to be worried so had to let you know the facts."

Comments

1. 1) his career has long since circled the toilet bowl
    2) what an ignorant little bitch
    3) he's yet to come out himself
    4) which makes him insane

Posted by: scoobytx | Apr 19, 2010 10:18:31 AM

2. Sorry, kid. I don’t even know who you are, much less care about what kind of pipe you smoke...

Posted by: ichabod | Apr 19, 2010 10:18:59 AM

3. In his defense, the kids only 19. A lot of us were scared when we were that age.

Posted by: Stephen | Apr 19, 2010 10:20:50 AM

4. David does have a lot of Gay fans,he is young, beautiful and extremely talented. The three things required to be admired by the Gays. The fact that he had to clear the air, so to speak, with his Str8 fans, about being in a gay club is perfectly fine with me (as long as he IS Str8). If you turn the tables, I would expect the same type of "freak out" annoucement from Melissa Estheridge if she was seen at a Chippendales Show. No harm done.

Posted by: Richard | Apr 19, 2010 10:22:01 AM

5. Looks like he's following the same path as Ricky Martin. Too bad :(

Posted by: Name: | Apr 19, 2010 10:28:49 AM

6. "Presumably Archuleta has a lot of gay fans. It's too bad he considers being thought of as gay something to freak out about."

Well... he has all that hate-filled MORMON upbringing to overcome. Give him a chance -- he's only 19.

Posted by: Nathanial | Apr 19, 2010 10:29:22 AM

7. Yeah he is a kid, but how long has it been since he was on Idol? He should know better by now. He outed himself, not by going to the club, but by typing on his twitter page.

Posted by: ♂ | Apr 19, 2010 10:29:50 AM

8. Sounds a lot like the early years of Ricky Martin. I'm sure he would have "Tweeted" the same kinds of messages if they had had such a thing when he first became famous.

Just sayin.

Regardless, I think it's very disrespectful of his gay fans to act as if being gay is something so terrible and being around large groups of gay people is something to be avoided like the plague.

19 or no, he certainly could have handled this much better.

Once was a fan...

Posted by: MichaelB | Apr 19, 2010 10:35:02 AM

9. He's a Mormon kid with a psycho-controlling father....he has enough on his plate for his age.

Posted by: Geoff M | Apr 19, 2010 10:38:41 AM

10. he wasn't even talking about gay bar, this article made him like he was. non fans who don't know him would think he was. as far as i know, he is so unjudgemental, and being judged based on tweets isn't a good thing, i guess.

Posted by: map | Apr 19, 2010 10:39:51 AM

11. I already knew he was gay. Plus, it's the experience of a lot of gay people who are new to coming out to go to gay clubs with their female friend because they don't know any other gay men. Heterosexual males don't go to clubs with female friends just to hang out.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 19, 2010 10:39:52 AM

12. give him time... give him time...

he's very young- younger than his years if you consider his upbringing.

Remember, Clay Gaykin was also straight.

Posted by: stephen | Apr 19, 2010 10:40:17 AM

13. Little Archuletta comes across as a Latin retard.

Posted by: jason | Apr 19, 2010 10:40:29 AM

14. A 19-year-old is not a kid. He's an adult, and he's an asshole.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 19, 2010 10:44:24 AM

15. 'Sokay, David, Ricky Martin wasn't gay until a couple of weeks ago, either.

Posted by: LemmyC | Apr 19, 2010 10:48:12 AM

16. I interpreted what he said as not really being into the club scene, possibly wanting to distance himself from the young celebs who so frequently get involved in drugs and scandals.

Even with his controlling father and mormon/family-centric environment, he seems to make his way around to see shows and enjoy a variety of music, and pals around with some fairly liberal types in the industry.

When he's ready to take a firmer hold on his career and life, he will find a way to come forward with his orientation. It'll upset a few of his fans, sure, but I think he'll get support from most of them. And remember, some might be tweens and teens now, they're growing up just like he is.

Posted by: sparks | Apr 19, 2010 10:53:54 AM

17. "Sounds a lot like the early years of Ricky Martin. I'm sure he would have "Tweeted" the same kinds of messages if they had had such a thing when he first became famous."

Except Ricky Martin never denied it, nor did he throw gays under the bus for his own benefit. There is no comparison here.

But to be fair to Mr. Archuleta, he has to deal with hyper-information and the uberinformed.

Posted by: ♂ | Apr 19, 2010 10:54:25 AM

18. I had issues facing my sexuality well into my 20's, coming from a religious, sheltered background. Even realizing I liked guys wasn't enough of a light bulb for me, because the only gays I knew were sassy, catty, attention-seeking kids --& that wasn't cool behavior for me (or what I found attractive). Probably/likely? just internalized homophobia (although I'm still not hot for those types & those kids visibility definitely helps, even if it turned me off). I'm just sayin: until you see possibilities for yourself in how the gay community is represented, it can be hard for a kid say, "there I am! that's me too!" If you go from church-world a few times a week & then are shown a gay bar or google "gay", it can be a let down for someone trying to find their identity as a person who's gay (being gay is not just about finding the next hot guy; or is it? discuss...). It's changing, I hope, for younger generations, but like Rufus Wainwright said, in reference to Ricky Martin: there's a lot of homophobia out there.

Posted by: 2 cents | Apr 19, 2010 11:11:28 AM

19. Well, he's definitely Archuleta, not Articulata. Perhaps his most dedicated fans can interpret what he is saying.

Posted by: anon | Apr 19, 2010 11:12:08 AM

20. David is an extremely kind and non-judgmental guy. He loves all of his fans and they include every race, religion, age and gender preference. And he treats everyone he meets with the same kindness and respect. But any kind of bar where some people are 1/2 clothed would not be his kind of place. Bars in general are not his kind of place.

Posted by: Violet | Apr 19, 2010 11:14:40 AM

21. Yeah sure, he's young. Then again, 19 really isn't that young - I think some people might be fooled by the fact that he looks 12 (and will forever look like 12). I still don't get it. Even when I wasn't "out" (came out when I was 20), I still wasn't a backward shitkicker who'd say ignorant things about gay people.
    I'm not saying gay celebrities 'owe' the public anything by coming out before they're ready, but they can at least STFU.

Posted by: Freddie | Apr 19, 2010 11:20:44 AM

22. The operative phrase is, "I had no clue." Yeah, about that and a lot of stuff....

Posted by: Steve | Apr 19, 2010 11:22:09 AM

23. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 19, 2010 11:26:43 AM

24. by 19 you still thinking it over, there is a lot of hate in this world, if he is or he isn't , I really don't care he is very good singing and that's what matters.

why build 'em up ,if we are bringing 'em down

Posted by: josepe | Apr 19, 2010 11:29:18 AM

25. he talked about clubs in general. if you know him, he is kind of person who is not comfortable with that kinda stuff and why hasn't these being posted ?

@hamghost I have friends who are gay, and they're great people. Whether they're gay or not doesn't change how I think of them.

@hamghost I have nothing against anyone, I'm sorry if that's how it came across. I'm just not into the partying scene lol. 34 minutes ago via web Retweeted by you and 32 others

Posted by: map | Apr 19, 2010 11:32:08 AM