Grace Jones | Lady Gaga | News

Grace Jones Pissed Off by Lady Gaga

Grace Jones claims Lady Gaga has copied some of her outfits, and she's not happy.

Grace "[Grace Jones] did not make a new record for so long because there was nothing she wanted to do. Actually, she says, she did complete an album, but she couldn't stand it, so she just buried it without a release. Any number of artists have asked to collaborate with her. Was Lady Gaga one of them? 'I just don't play with other acts as a rule,' she says, with rare discretion. What does she think of her? 'I really don't think of her at all. I go about my business.' Has she copied her? 'Well, you know, I've seen some things she's worn that I've worn, and that does kind of piss me off.' Is she talented? 'I wouldn't go to see her.' So, did she ask to play with her? 'Yes, she did, but I said no. I'd just prefer to work with someone who is more original and someone who is not copying me, actually.'"

In related news, a classical music group in Sydney, Australia is getting attention on YouTube for its classical version of Gaga's "Telephone" (via joe.my.god).

Listen and watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Thank you, Grace.

Posted by: another matt | Apr 19, 2010 2:00:31 PM

2. I'm a big fan of Gaga, but Grace Jones gets a free pass whatever she says as far as I'm concerned!

Posted by: Chris | Apr 19, 2010 2:04:34 PM

3. I always thought Grace Jones would have been a good choice to play Storm in the X-Men movies.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 19, 2010 2:06:13 PM

4. Grace Jones, who...?

Posted by: Mike | Apr 19, 2010 2:07:31 PM

5. *yawn*

Posted by: Raybob | Apr 19, 2010 2:08:45 PM

6. Grace Jones; Class Act. Lady Gaga; Over it, move along, please.

Posted by: Rad | Apr 19, 2010 2:13:32 PM

7. Grace Jones.

Thank you. Exactly.

@Mike

Yes, Grace Jones who?

Lady Gaga is sooo original and influential.

Erm, how old are you?

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 19, 2010 2:15:23 PM

8. Sorry Mike, but being popular doesnt necessarily mean being good. Grace is good.. Gaga is popular..

Posted by: Rovex | Apr 19, 2010 2:18:06 PM

9. She doesn't sound pissed to me. She sounds more indifferent than anything else. And I totally understand it. Grace has not been given the credit she deserves for the fashion kookiness and fierceness that she and Gautlier created that has inspired (i.e. been copied by) so many others who came after her.

And Grace has never been one to collaborate with other artists much. So why should she break her neck to perform with Gaga who, though I love her, cannot compare to Grace's ability to do so much more with so much less. I've seen Grace work a crowd with an office chair being spun by a disembodied hand and nothing else. Gaga cannot fuck with that.

Gaga is something to behold. But Grace is something ELSE. Long live the true diva!

Posted by: Q | Apr 19, 2010 2:18:45 PM

10. I love Lady Gaga as much as the next person, but I'm getting pretty sick of seeing her name in every article or interview that is specifically about someone else. "So about your new album, how does it compare to Lady Gaga's?" WHO CARES.

Posted by: Dan | Apr 19, 2010 2:19:02 PM

11. Oh, please.

Though not to the extent that MARdonna has, Jones ripped off images that Marlene Dietrich had pioneered so she has no room to bitch....or continue to "sing" with her vocal range of fingernails on a chalkboard.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Apr 19, 2010 2:20:12 PM

12. Sounds like a huge ego is at work here. Wasn't she in a Conan movie?

Posted by: TonsofT | Apr 19, 2010 2:24:05 PM

13. Grace Jones... WE SPEAK YOUR NAME!!!

Posted by: madge | Apr 19, 2010 2:25:16 PM

14. Q: I agree with you.
    I LOVE Grace.
    I really dig Lady Gaga,
    It would be amazing if they ever did work together.

RayBob and Mike: Go away. You're obviously way too cool to be hanging out at Towleroad.

Posted by: JimmyD | Apr 19, 2010 2:25:21 PM

15. I agree Dan. The constant Lady Gaga this, Lady Gaga that is overdone. She is cool to look out but not that original really... ever seen the video by Missing Persons with the metal swimsuit? Her music is fun pop that you can dance to at the club... nothing groundbreaking.

Posted by: Nate | Apr 19, 2010 2:26:24 PM

16. Grace Jones will KICK...YOUR...ASS!

Posted by: Rocco | Apr 19, 2010 2:28:35 PM

17. Grace Jones and Jean-Paul Goude brought high performance and extreme art content to popular music at a level that hasn't been matched since. It wasn't just music (vocal limitations accounted for), it was ICONOGRAPHY in performance. Not just shallow diva-worship, but artistic iconography that blew up notions about gender, sex, race and aesthetics.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 19, 2010 2:30:41 PM

18. @ Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com

Whatever.

You're mad so not even sure why I'm bothering to answer you but her stuff is nothing like Dietrich.

People like you make me sad for the cultural world we live in.

Next you're going to say that Sandra Bullock is a more memorable actress then Audrey Hepburn.

Too sad.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 19, 2010 2:38:36 PM

19. To quote numerous people far wiser than I, "Everything is derivative." People just need to get over it. What a shallow world we would live in if as soon as one person did something, everyone else avoided it for fear of being deemed "unoriginal."

Posted by: Matt | Apr 19, 2010 2:39:08 PM

20. So Grace Jones somehow owns the right to wear outrageous outfits while performing music? When did she wear smoking cigarette sun glasses?

I love Grace Jones music, but it's pretty silly for her to suggest that someone is copying her, when her last really original musical work was released with Bulletproof Heart in 1989.

And I remember people similarly dismissing Madonna when she was starting out as a retread of earlier disco divas.

Unfortunately, Grace Jones sounds a little bitter here.

The reality is that GaGa has had a very great year, where she's produced one hit after another. She's just starting her career and could grow into a very influential artist.

Anyone who has been out to a club/party recently knows that dance floors fill when GaGa's songs come on. I am betting most of the negative comments here are from guys who cannot even remember the last time they went dancing. Is it more more fun to sit home and type negative comments?

Posted by: DCguy | Apr 19, 2010 2:40:42 PM

21. @ Jerry, thank you for the correction. I meant J-P GOUDE not J-P Gautlier.

@ Michael@kdjfasdfjore, clearly you don't know her work at all. So your contrary comment is moot.

@ Tonsoft, you see what you wanna see. She ain't doing nothing but speaking the truth.

Posted by: Q | Apr 19, 2010 2:41:02 PM

22. @ DCGUY

Nobody is trying to take anything away from Miss Gaga. OK, darling? HOWEVER, the bitch did not come up with that shit off the top of her telephoned head! She was inspired by Grace and others whether she has ever admitted it or not. She asked Grace to perform with HER, did she not?

Learn this lesson, honey: there is nothing new under the sun. No matter how fresh and "new" you think these current artists are, you can best be sure that someone has essentially done it already. I am sure that David Byrne, Devo and the other innovators look at Miss Gaga and yawn themselves silly.

Posted by: Q | Apr 19, 2010 2:59:33 PM

23. I love Grace Jones for what she was. I'm old enough to remember her in the day, and she was something then. But Grace hasn't done anything new in years. Starting concerts four hours late and singing songs that she introduced in 1980? The attitude wasn't attractive then, and it's pathetic now. Fat bitch needs to lose 40 pounds and return to doing more than prance (really, wallow) around in elasticated outfits. Lady Gaga writes and performs exceptional, danceable music, and she shows respect for her fans. She also offers respect where respect is due to other performers. Grace continues as always to diss her peers and fall back on her dwindling reputation. Good luck to you in the unemployment line in Kingston, Grace.

Posted by: Been There, Done That | Apr 19, 2010 3:01:59 PM

24. I was gonna say:

Grace who?

But some of you sorta beat me to it. It seems like anyone can crawl out of the woodwork to say something if they once had their 15 minutes.

Not that I follow either one of them, per se; but, gimme a break; one's popular, one used to be. Next.

Posted by: Jeff in NC | Apr 19, 2010 3:10:13 PM