Cat Cora | Constance McMillen | Discrimination | Gay Youth | Lance Bass | Mississippi | News

Lance Bass, Green Day, Cat Cora to Host Gay Prom in Mississippi

Lance Bass, Green Day, Cat Cora, and Tonic.com are coming together with the American Humanist Association to throw a prom in Mississippi open to everyone but geared toward LGBT youth in response to Itawamba School District's refusal to throw a prom because Constance McMillen wanted to bring a lesbian date.

Writes the AHABass : "The Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition's second annual Second Chance Prom will be held on May 8, 2010 in Downtown Tupelo, Mississippi. "We've very pleased to be able to support and promote LGBT equality alongside other sponsors," said Roy Speckhardt, executive director of the American Humanist Association. "We're proud to be standing on the side of love and acceptance instead of fear and prejudice, and we hope that the event will bring appreciation of the diversity within our society and encourage others to embrace it as a positive value that can continue to forge progress for all Americans." The Second Chance Prom will feature dinner for guests, live entertainment, a ceremony to honor outstanding youth in Mississippi, booths highlighting organizations striving for LGBT equality and celebrity guests...Todd and Diana Stiefel made a $20,000 grant available to the AHA for the purpose of sponsoring this prom in Itawamba County. Humanists and other freethinkers have expressed a great interest in countering the discrimination of the Itawamba County school board."

Comments

1. TeeHee, this is so RAD.

Now if Green Day would play a set, and Cat Cora caters .... well, a boy can dream.

I'd like to attend myself, if I were, ya know, 30 years younger and, well, had a date.

Take THAT Mississippi phobes and bigots!

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 9, 2010 7:54:22 PM

2. I am so proud to see my fellow gay Mississippian's stepping up to the plate and hosting this event.

This is so much better than the exclusive prom that the NCLR organization is inviting her to in San Francisco. How does it make ANY sense to make a point about exclusion by inviting her to a prom where non-lesbians, including gay males and straight transgender people, are excluded?

I swear, sometimes so-called gay rights advocates don't have a frickin clue. Make a point about the evils of excluding gay people by throwing a prom for SOME gay people and no straight people? It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the flaw in this thinking.

The prom hosted by the Humanist Association in Mississippi is the right idea. Promoting inclusivity by being INCLUSIVE. Who would have ever thought of that? Obviously not the NCLR.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 9, 2010 8:10:27 PM

3. Ah! I wish I was still in high school, I'd totally go!

I think I could, actually, its open for people up to 23, but I'd feel kind of awkward showing up as a college sophomore.

But....Cat Cora will be there! She's such a great lady...

I may have to convince my boyfriend to rent a tux with me and go.

Posted by: Jeremy | Apr 9, 2010 8:10:30 PM

4. Jeremy -- GO! You deserve it. We all do. Besides, you *can* go, and you will always regret it if you don't. I'm waaaay too old, but I would go in a heartbeat if I weren't. So go for all of us who never got to go to the prom. Go, have a wonderful time, and post something here afterward to tell us what it was like.

Posted by: MajorTom | Apr 9, 2010 8:38:28 PM

5. That's awesome!!!!!!

Posted by: Name: | Apr 9, 2010 8:51:53 PM

6. I think Lance Bass has just made up for that poorly thought out comment about his not planning "to become a crazy gay activist". Way to go Lance Bass, Cat Cora and Green Day!!! WooHoo!

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 9, 2010 9:04:26 PM

7. you should read the hate that's coming from the comment section of the news website that reported this. Totally amazing...wait coming from the south where inbreeding is still popular; its not amazing

Posted by: Xman | Apr 9, 2010 9:30:07 PM

8. Talk about a major SCORE for Constance! I would have loved to have had them at my Prom. Screw those backwards fucks back home! YOU GO GIRL!

Posted by: ravewulf | Apr 9, 2010 10:32:36 PM

9. Omfg Green Day played my prom! This is a beautiful gesture and it saddens me that that state is such a backward den of contempt and discrimation against their own LGBT family members.

What a cool development. Here's hoping Constance can attend. It's way cooler than a hick prom attended by bigots. They must be clawing themselves with envy now.

Posted by: YonkersConquers | Apr 9, 2010 10:37:57 PM

10. Mississippi is really a hidden gem... that will stay hidden because so many who live there give the state a bad name. This is an awesome event.

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Apr 9, 2010 10:52:41 PM

11. this makes me smile :)

good stuff

Posted by: steve | Apr 9, 2010 11:06:40 PM

12. Power to the people!

Posted by: Harry | Apr 9, 2010 11:10:40 PM

13. this is really cool. Now finding a lot of KIDS (yes, KIDS of high school age) to pack this place to the brim is going to be the fun part, yah...

Posted by: TANK | Apr 9, 2010 11:33:04 PM

14. Majortom's response to Jeremy made me so happy. Thank you.

Posted by: aaron | Apr 10, 2010 2:35:36 AM

15. This is one of the most amazing stories I've read on here...truly!

Thank you Lance Bass for not turning your back on the community you call home. Have all the gorgeous boyfriends you want and don't let any bitter gay tell you otherwise!

Green Day...your music has ALWAYS been powerful, touching and pliable, but your actions are even more noteworthy. Truly the 'Rolling Stones' of our time!

Posted by: Bayley | Apr 10, 2010 3:43:13 AM

16. woo! How do you get invited? :)
    I hope they make sure it's a prom and not invaded by gays older than 20 who want to party

Posted by: X | Apr 10, 2010 5:08:49 AM

17. This is a great idea - I'm very proud of Lace Bass et al - Equality TODAY!

Posted by: Paul Leary | Apr 10, 2010 7:54:35 AM

18. @X,

what is wrong with "gays older than 20" attending? you are no different from the haters. "invaded"? really?! go fuck yourself.

Posted by: nic | Apr 10, 2010 8:05:22 AM

19. I know it's the wrong attitude to have, but I'd love it if this Prom were open to everyone (who accepts diversity) *except* students from the school Constance McMillen attends, specifically those who attended the "private" prom.

It might be an interesting lesson for them about exclusion and how it feels to be on the receiving end of it. If any of them do go to this event it's complete hypocrisy.

Posted by: greenman | Apr 10, 2010 10:52:04 AM

20. I wonder how many scumbags who went to the "cool kids only" prom will have the audacity to show up at this prom?

They should be let in and allowed to have a great time and then the next day they should be shamed across the state and in the media across the nation.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 10, 2010 1:10:09 PM

21. and crazypants NIC answers his own question again.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 10, 2010 2:50:38 PM

22. http://www.msprom2010.com/

Any Mississippi youth or student between the ages of 15 and 23 are welcome to attend free of charge, you just have to register.

I could also register to be a volunteer, which I might do because I'd feel less awkward about that, ha.

Posted by: Jeremy | Apr 10, 2010 3:33:23 PM

23. hope this is just the beginning of an annual event.this should happen every year in this state to show that hate is stupid and lame(like their ignorant prom would be now lmao)

Posted by: sal(yes the original) | Apr 10, 2010 4:46:12 PM

24. I know they're having it in Tupelo to make a point, but having it in Jackson may've given more GLBT HS kids in that state an opportunity to attend. Tupelo's in the back of beyond even by Mississippi standards. Putting it in Jackson would've made it more accessible to GLBT kids from Baton Rouge, New Orleans, & Memphis as well.

Posted by: Jackson | Apr 10, 2010 10:31:53 PM

25. @TANK,

you make me laugh. how did i answer my own question, chicken shit?

Posted by: nic | Apr 11, 2010 5:13:24 AM