Gay Parents | News | Ricky Martin

BigGayDeal.com

Photo: A Gay Dad (Ricky Martin) and His Sons at the Beach

Gaydad

Ricky Martin tweeted this photo today of himself with his sons at the beach, the first he's made available since telling the world he's a gay parent.

Comments

1. good for him. would like him to post a picture with boyfriend

Posted by: walter | Apr 2, 2010 1:00:32 PM

2. yesterday, during the evening commute, I heard a Spanish radio station say that Mr. Martin wanted his female fans to know that he's actually bisexual... I guess it slipped his mind at the earlier announcement.

Posted by: stephen | Apr 2, 2010 1:06:42 PM

3. I've always been delighted to see pics of him with his kids... and even more so now.

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Apr 2, 2010 1:11:13 PM

4. Isn't bisexual celebrity speak for gay?

Posted by: Sid | Apr 2, 2010 1:25:25 PM

5. I would imagine this news has been very difficult for Spanish radio stations.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 2, 2010 1:40:33 PM

6. She is a fortunate gay homosexual!

Posted by: Mrs Patrick Campbell | Apr 2, 2010 1:42:57 PM

7. The radio station was doubtlessly unable to process the information (homophobia, anyone?) and put that statement out. There is no reason Ricky Martin would have backtracked like that.

Posted by: CKNJ | Apr 2, 2010 1:44:49 PM

8. Wonder who took the photo...

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Apr 2, 2010 1:56:54 PM

9. I still lives in Miami? He adopted his children? He could lose his children while living in Florida now that he came out as gay. Of course they would never do that to a celebrity.

Posted by: Critifur | Apr 2, 2010 1:57:50 PM

10. Or, just Dad and his sons at the beach. I'm glad that he's on our radar now, but we don't need to Gay his name up now. He's just Ricky Martin, not Gay Ricky Martin.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 2, 2010 2:00:55 PM

11. Beautiful. Congrats on your newfound freedom, Ricky.

Posted by: JeffRob | Apr 2, 2010 2:11:13 PM

12. I believe he used a surrogate and they are his biological children.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 2, 2010 2:22:23 PM

13. Martin is the father to the twins, through artificial insemination. He has full custody. I'm glad he found the courage to finally be honest, not that it is a surprise to most.

I agree that the spanish station is having problems as many others still have with homosexuality, just look at the news of the day.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 2, 2010 2:22:36 PM

14. That is love. Gay or Not.

Posted by: Blair | Apr 2, 2010 2:25:45 PM

15. Such a cute pic, lovely.

Posted by: Sean R | Apr 2, 2010 2:38:28 PM

16. @ Hollywood, CA:

I would almost agree, but until being gay is universally a non-issue, we need to still point out in the media that there are healthy, loving, responsible celebrities that are gay and parents. If we don't during what could be a 20-or-better year transition to that time, then we become invisible and not in a good way. Gay teens and others need positive gay role models that are visible until that distant day.

Posted by: johnny | Apr 2, 2010 2:42:41 PM

17. Better late than never! Good for him, and good for us! The wingnuts must absolutely hate this!

Posted by: Mike | Apr 2, 2010 3:12:31 PM

18. i find it odd he puts up pics of himself all the time. don't celebrities want their private life...private? and isn't there paparazzi's usually taking photos for you?

Posted by: protege | Apr 2, 2010 4:17:58 PM

19. @Protege: A lot of celebs have found (about time!) that the way to neutralize the douchebaggery of the paparazzi trade is to release the pics first.

For celebrity parents, it is pictures of them doing everyday activities with their children that the papz yearn to capture.

If these celeb-taken pictures are out in the open, the premium on the papz-taken pictures drop. In turn, demand for them slowly diminishes. It's a wonderful vicious cycle.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 2, 2010 4:37:42 PM

20. I mean, could that be any cuter? So happy for him. We should all be so lucky.

Posted by: Aron | Apr 2, 2010 6:04:14 PM

21. I'm shocked ( but should not be surprised ) by the amount of hateful crap I've heard about this man since he came out- interesting in the Latino press there is this idea that Ricky was force to come out because a paparazzi had shots of him having gay sex.

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 2, 2010 6:05:30 PM

22. I'm one of those odd faggots who isn't quite convinced that Gay men should have children. Nothing against Gay parents. It's the same objection I have to bi-racial parenting. Explaining the actions of their parents is just another burden for the children to bear. On the other hand, what could be better for children than open minded, loving parents? So maybe it's just one of those 'double edged' affairs.

As for his 'coming out', just like Anderson Cooper, he always said it was nobody's business. I don't recall him ever flat out denying being Gay. I question the timing of the announcement. Seems like it was engineered to head off some sort of blackmail. But I doubt it will have much effect on his popularity.

I've never heard anything about Ricky Martin but good things. That he's a kind and generous person. Talented and attractive to be sure. His boys are lucky kids. I wish Ricky and his family much happiness.

Posted by: Jay Croce | Apr 2, 2010 10:03:02 PM

23. Yes Jay Croce, you are one of those odd and hateful faggots. But I'm sure you're a good person. Bi racial parenting?? How old are you? If you're older than 60 then maybe I can give you a pass but geez.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 2, 2010 11:09:12 PM

24. I'm sure Ricky is a great dad. He really has a heart of gold.
    =)

Posted by: Nate G | Apr 3, 2010 9:43:35 AM

25. @JAY CROCE: Psychological studies have shown that the children of gay parents are no different from those of heterosexual parents except in one regard: they are more open and accepting of diversity. I would wager the same could be said of children of interracial couples. It's the 21 Century, dear...time for you to drag your tired and bigoted 1950s era opinions into the modern age.

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 3, 2010 10:01:24 AM