George Alan Rekers | News

George 'Rentboy' Rekers: 'I Am Not Gay and Never Have Been'

George Alan Rekers, the anti-gay Christian leader who was caught recently returning from vacation with a young man he met on the website rentboy.com, sent a very interesting email to Dave Weigel at the Washington Post attempting to beat down some of the allegations that have surfaced as a result of his trip.

Rekers Said Rekers: "I have been advised to retain the services of a defamation attorney in this matter, because the fact is that I am not gay and never have been."

(Okay, Larry Craig)

Rekers also sent along a questionnaire he had his "travel assistant" fill out:

Here are the four questions that I sent my travel assistant at his request two days ago, together with the answers we agreed on in our phone conversation this afternoon:

1. Did Dr. Rekers in fact hire you to lift my luggage when necessary as a travel assistant during the trip, because I cannot do so myself since I had surgery?
Together we agreed that I in fact hired him to lift luggage when necessary as a travel assistant during the trip, because I cannot do so himself since having surgery. We agreed that this is what my travel assistant agreed to do for pay prior to taking the trip.

2. Did you in fact lift my luggage during the trip each time it was necessary, or did Dr Rekers lift his own luggage during the trip?
We agreed that my travel assistant did in fact lift my luggage each time it was necessary, that I did not lift my luggage, and my travel assistant did all the lifting.

3. Did Dr. Rekers hire you as a prostitute for the trip?
We agreed that I hired him as a companion and to help with luggage, and that I did not hire him as a prostitute for any sexual purpose.

4. Did Dr. Rekers spend time explaining how the Christian faith is based in love to you during the trip?
We agreed that I explained the Christian faith to my travel assistant in conversations on several days during the trip.

Roman  The only problem with Rekers little survey is that almost every point in it has been expanded upon in great detail by the 'rent boy' Jo-Vanni Roman in a wide-ranging interview with Joe Jervis.

Writes Joe

"Jo-Vanni says their accommodations were far from deluxe and that their hotel in London was 'like a crappy Days Inn or something.' It was in those budget hotel rooms where he and Rekers had their daily erotic nude massage sessions. Jo-Vanni confirmed to me the 'anus long-stroking' technique reported by the Miami New Times, but says that's as far as things went. He says that Rekers never suggested taking things further, but that Rekers' cock was 'rock hard' during the massages. 'So it was definitely sexual for him?' I asked. 'Oh, for sure!' he replied. And in that way that 20 year-olds speak, he added, 'He was definitely totally gay for me.' I asked, 'And you didn't think it was strange that he didn't at least want to blow you?' He hesitated. 'Yeah, at first, I guess. But it kinda felt like maybe he was just getting started, you know, like he was new to gay sex, maybe.' (This I doubt highly, but didn't say so to Jo-Vanni.) "

Joe also writes that Jo-Vanni is set to do an interview with Anderson Cooper this morning.

In related news, any trace of Rekers has apparently been scrubbed from the University of South Carolina's website.

And The National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) offers up an official statement on Rekers:

The National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) is a professional scientific organization with hundreds of academic, research, and clinical members dedicated to assisting individuals dealing with unwanted homosexual attractions. While NARTH is focused on the science of homosexual attraction, personal controversies often deepen the existing cultural divide on this issue. Such is the case in the recent news stories concerning one of our members, Dr. George Rekers.

NARTH takes seriously the accusations that have been made, and we are currently attempting to understand the details behind these press reports. We are always saddened when this type of controversy impacts the lives of individuals, and we urge all parties to allow a respectful and thorough investigation to take place.

At this difficult time for the families and individuals involved, we extend our sympathies. We also wish to reiterate our traditional position that these personal controversies do not change the scientific data, nor do they detract from the important work of NARTH.

NARTH continues to support scientific research, and to value client autonomy, client self-determination and client diversity.

Comments

1. Is Anderson looking for a "Lomg Stroke" himself?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 7, 2010 8:11:16 AM

2. @Rekers: “I put the penis in my mouth, but I didn’t inhale.”

Posted by: ichabod | May 7, 2010 8:15:59 AM

3. P-I-G

Posted by: David T | May 7, 2010 8:17:42 AM

4. Rumor has it that this is Rekers favorite gospel song:

Shackled by a heavy burden,
    'Neath a load of guilt and shame.
    Then the hand of Jesus touched me,
    And now I am no longer the same.

He touched me, Oh He touched me,
    And oh the joy that floods my soul!
    Something happened and now I know,
    He touched me and made me whole.

Posted by: voet | May 7, 2010 8:24:08 AM

5. Do not expect an admission, a breakdown, an acknowledgment of any kind, at any time, from Rekkers. This profoundly sad, destructive individual is so deep in denial and delusion that the chances of even a glimmer of true self-awareness are nearly zero.

The mechanics of the massage sessions tell it all. He has clearly rationalized, down to some extremely exacting detail, just exactly what constitutes "transgression." The scrupulous psychology of this is both obvious and bewildering. Rekkers has taken the Christianist notion of condition versus behavior to degrees of granularity that can only be explained by psychosis.

This guy has it all worked out, folks, and no path of destruction in his wake will ever come close to knocking on the door of his mortal fear of himself.

Posted by: Rascal | May 7, 2010 8:26:44 AM

6. Well, it's obvious that since the Bible doesn't contain any proscription against the "long stoke", it's technically not sodomy and "OK" Biblically. Uh huh.

Posted by: Hank | May 7, 2010 8:28:07 AM

7. Is says a lot about the University of South Carolina that they LOUDLY and PROUDLY claimed Rekers as one of their own on their website when he was making gay people's lives hell and ripping gay families apart with his snake oil "science" but scrubbed him completely from it, ashamed to be associated with him when it's revealed that he is actually gay himself.

I encourage everyone to contact the USC to inquire about their criteria for inclusion in or exclusion from their online hall of fame list.

It's a sad day when a UNIVERSITY is proud to claim a man whose claim to fame is his peddling junk science that promotes discrimination and hurts individuals and families yet ashamed the moment that very same person is revealed to be gay.

South Carolina never fails to disappoint, especially lately, those who think of it as an ignorant, backwards, bigoted, hateful state. As a Mississippian, all I can say is THANK YOU to South Carolina for making my home state look just a little bit better with each passing scandal.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 7, 2010 8:33:58 AM

8. And why is Lucien not yet represented by Gloria Allred? hmmm....

I'm just sayin'

I guess her virtue doesn't extend past mistresses.

Posted by: stephen | May 7, 2010 8:48:04 AM

9. I love Colbert's statement - it's not so much about lifting luggage as lifting his sack.

Posted by: steve | May 7, 2010 8:51:52 AM

10. Jo-Vanni, if you haven't already done so, please speak with an attorney or get really good advice about what to say and what not to say and to whom. Be very careful not to embellish even a little. Rekers threatened a defamation law suit and they can be really expensive. Rekers is pissed, so it will be easy for him to want revenge.

You're amazing and I absolutely love what you're doing, but please don't go it alone. I'm sure there are guys who will help and they'd probably do it at no cost cause your story is SO DAMN GOOD ;-)

Posted by: Fred | May 7, 2010 8:53:45 AM

11. Fred: There will be no defamation lawsuit. Why? Because Rekker could not afford a public he said/(s)he said. Even if his rentaboy isn't telling the truth, if he held to his story, Rekker would come off as a sad old closet case at best (which he probably is.)

His questionaire...beyond hilarious. I guess you always go to rentaboy.com to hire someone to carry your luggage (ahem, isn't that why they have porters at the airport and in hotels????) I go to rentaboy.com to find someone to clean windows, mow the grass, wash the car (insert your own joke here.)

This guy is a goner...he's clearly delusional and in weird denial. It's sad to have lived your whole life as a lie. Yet, it's also impossible to feel sorry for someone who has done so much damage to other human beings. Karma is a bitch.

Posted by: BART | May 7, 2010 9:05:30 AM

12. Bart, all due respect, crazy people who are caught in big lies like may be capable of filing a defamation law suit even when they can't afford it and even when they haven't got a leg to stand on because they think they have no choice but to defend themselves. There's a lawyer out there somewhere who will take his case.

I know what it's like to be on the receiving end. Thankfully my insurance is covering the tab. I just don't want to see this kid go down in flames - I salute you Jo-Vanni - you rock!

Posted by: Fred | May 7, 2010 9:22:52 AM

13. As a Londoner could I pleaase ask the US authorities to place men like this on a no-fly list. We do not need his type in our lovely city. I am sure that my spanish boyfriend feels the same way about Madrid.

We do not tolerate such perverted acts as "long stroking" in our civilised european cities - full gay sex or nothing for us eurogays.

Posted by: arch | May 7, 2010 9:26:18 AM

14. "Joe My God" interviewed Jo-Vanni, and the results are up on his site. it;s quite a story, with multiple aspects to it. The kid is no dummy -- though naive about certain things as one might expect. This is just the tip of the iceberg folks. Hang on!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 7, 2010 9:34:04 AM

15. I think my heart is about to experience a "long stroke" from all my laughing at reading the pure ridiculousness of Mr. Reker's many cumbacks to his pitifully sad situation in which he has placed himself. Comeuppance indeed!

Posted by: Rob | May 7, 2010 9:38:17 AM

16. Just luv, luv, loving this story!

And gotta give it to Joe Jervis for the great work that he's being doing in pushing this!

I read Joe's interview with Jo-vanni this morning; y'all should surf over and read it but...you will need some keyboard protection.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 7, 2010 9:45:14 AM

17. Joe.My.God has an interview with him.

Jo-Vanni confirmed to me the "anus long-stroking" technique reported by the Miami New Times, but says that's as far as things went. He says that Rekers never suggested taking things further, but that Rekers' cock was "rock hard" during the massages. "So it was definitely sexual for him?" I asked. "Oh, for sure!" he replied. And in that way that 20 year-olds speak, he added, "He was definitely totally gay for me."

Posted by: FunMe | May 7, 2010 9:46:30 AM

18. Are you kidding me? This story is GREAT! I haven't been this entertained in I don't know how long. Betty could break that all up tomorrow night, but I'm sure to get back on the wagon by Monday as this story just keeps on giving. Gimme MORE!!!

Posted by: Keith | May 7, 2010 9:48:06 AM

19. I'm glad Reker's is digging his grave even deeper. He is too proud and has too much to lose to give up his denial that he did nothing wrong. Even his fellow bigots at USC know that using rentboy.com is not where straight people would ever go for a porter, or travel companion, unless you are a big ole closet case.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 7, 2010 9:54:58 AM

20. You've got to be kidding me. This is what passes for proof in some circles?
    Sorry, Mr Rekers, but I can't give much credence to a questionnaire that Jo-Vanni supposedly filled out when his voice isn't anywhere in evidence. It's all George saying 'He and I agreed that ..."
    Yeah, right.

Posted by: toddo | May 7, 2010 10:45:13 AM

21. Please don't bash USC - you didn't go there, you don't know the wonderful experience so many gay people have had going there. Yes, Rekers sucks. But he doesn't define USC. Two points:

I was a little concerned about being outed at school when I was younger, being that the south as a whole is not incredibly friendly. But when I was hired to work in the judicial affairs office, it was immediately made a non-issue by my co-workers and my boss asking what my DJ schedule at the gay club was because they looked forward to bringing friends/family to hear me spin again and see a drag show.

The university also had my boss and the performers bring the club experience to their main ballroom every year for a night of performance, panel discussion, and dancing during diversity week. Diversity week was designed to give freshman students a feel for how people of other backgrounds or lifestyles live. Entering college, acceptance of gays was around 11%. After freshman year (including U101 and diversity week), it jumped into the high 80s.

Second, the school blessed and officially licensed a gay-owned company to use it's logo and mark, the Gamecock, for its products. Everyone chants GO COCKS at the games. And the gay company makes tee shirts and hats that say BIG COCKS FAN. So any notion of the school being uptight and conservative should be eliminated immediately.

USC is a welcoming and inclusive work hard, play hard, be productive school.

Posted by: Sean Mac | May 7, 2010 10:48:51 AM

22. Reker's delusional desperation speaks for itself, but what I want to know, is NARTH and its Nazi style eugenics one of the "faith-based" charities that are getting taxpayer dollars?

Seen a million queens just like Rekers. So much better than the rest of us. Now that he's been caught with his pants down, after what he's done to betray his own, we should be merciless and unrelenting. He took his self-hatred out on us in a highly destructive way. He deserves no quarter.

Posted by: romeo | May 7, 2010 11:04:21 AM

23. Reekers is right - he's not "gay.' He's a pathetic old closeted queen.

Oh, and George, if you want to score wihtout paying for it, ditch the 80s look already.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | May 7, 2010 12:19:08 PM

24. I hope someone gives Jo-Vanni a book deal or reality show, David Geffen, pull some strings, STAT !!

Posted by: ty | May 7, 2010 12:34:43 PM

25. Does anyone really believe that massages were as far as it got? The last time I checked, prostitution was illegal in Florida, so of course Jo-Vanni can not admit to anything else. Sure he was not in the U.S. when this trip happened, but if he wants to continue working in Florida as a "rent boy" then he cannot admit to offering services beyond a massage.

Posted by: Rob | May 7, 2010 12:52:46 PM