Bullying | Harvey Milk | Jason Mraz | News

Jason Mraz: I was Beat Up, Bullied at School, Called 'Faggot'

Jason Mraz attended the Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast on Friday. On Sunday, Mraz took to his blog to write about why he stands up for LGBT equality.

Writes MrazMraz

"When I was in high school, I experienced being bullied. For whatever reason, there were a few students that enjoyed calling me 'faggot' as I walked thru the lunchroom. On one occasion, just before graduation, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and picked up a few punches, kicks and scrapes to add to my story. I never knew why the handsome lads called me names or felt the need to bully me, but it happened and I let their actions contribute a great deal to my moving away from that community. Shortly after the row, my best friend came out, sharing with his friends and family that he was gay. In my small town, this was uncommon and since then I’ve considered my friend to be the bravest man in the world. Aware of the hate within our community, I was afraid my friend might be inviting trouble to his door – but that never stopped him from being fully expressed. This is why I am actively seeking equality for the whole. When all of us are acknowledged as the human equals that we really are, there will be no space left for bullying. It will no longer be wrong to choose one thing over another. Equality and Separation cannot exist in the same space."

Mraz calls on people to join the fight for LGBT equality.

Comments

1. Obviously, those beatings weren't enough. Lazy bullies!

Posted by: LetSodomRing | May 24, 2010 1:30:38 PM

2. Good Guy ! I don't understand why someone has to bully another. The only thing I can think is that they are conflicted about their own sexuality for a certain period of time. Seems to be mostly a younger guy phenomenon...

Posted by: ty | May 24, 2010 1:38:37 PM

3. Mraz is the man. Love him!

Posted by: ichabod | May 24, 2010 1:52:47 PM

4. Jealousy Mr. Mraz. They knew you were more handsome and beautiful both outside and inside than they could ever hope to be. Don't ever forget that!

Posted by: Bob R | May 24, 2010 2:00:12 PM

5. LetSodomRing is a troll seeking attention. Ignore it.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | May 24, 2010 2:25:14 PM

6. Thank you Mr. Mraz!
    The wonderful sound of your music is amazing and it just got even better. ;-)

Posted by: Fred | May 24, 2010 2:29:52 PM

7. while I don't find him handsome or talented, other people do...and the message is positive, so good for him.

Posted by: TANK | May 24, 2010 2:39:43 PM

8. I am from the Richmond, VA area where Jason is from, and I totally understand what he is talking about. I ended up coming out officially after high school, but it didn't make it any easier. I, too, left Richmond because it was too backwards (and the East Coast weather sucks).

Posted by: Alan E. | May 24, 2010 2:45:49 PM

9. Thank you Jason! I've always liked you but now you can consider me amongst your many fans!

Posted by: drake onian | May 24, 2010 3:10:06 PM

10. LETSODOMRING, you are the common straight male trash. Let's have a throw dowm!

Posted by: nikko | May 24, 2010 3:26:44 PM

11. Okay, I'm from Richmond, and honestly, it's not THAT bad. Granted Jason went to HS during a different time than I did, but when I was in high school, it was definitely not a big deal. Richmond is a great LGBTQ friendly town. Don't knock it down completely.

Posted by: Chris | May 24, 2010 3:27:34 PM

12. Richmond is the home of the confederacy, so what do you expect from such a backward, pissant place? Southerners are a bunch of drunk bigoted rednecks...ALL OF THEM, ALL THE TIME!

Posted by: TANK | May 24, 2010 3:37:04 PM

13. Q.T.

Posted by: distingue traces | May 24, 2010 3:38:07 PM

14. sweet soul.

Posted by: David T | May 24, 2010 4:29:04 PM

15. Adorable and enlightened guy! John Mayer should take notes.

Posted by: E. | May 24, 2010 6:00:38 PM

16. We owe so much to Jason Mraz and Cyndi Lauper for being out there supporting our Community like they do! And you can tell that both really do care for our community!

I Love Jason

I Love Cyndi Lauper

Posted by: Paul | May 24, 2010 6:42:50 PM

17. @TANK

Nice sweeping generalization about Southerners. I'm gay and from South Carolina, and I'm not a drunk, a bigot, or a redneck. You're stupid comments are completely offensive. Get some manners.

Homophobia is everywhere and not confined to the South.

Posted by: John | May 24, 2010 8:49:07 PM

18. No, it's just confined to the south, john! Are you sure you're not any of those things? Poor white trash would be reasonable substitute for redneck...regional dialect taken into account (e.g., "it don't mean sheeeit!"). In any event, you've clearly got some churching up to do, missy.

Posted by: TANK | May 24, 2010 9:01:28 PM

19. and isn't it south cackalacky? Or as you might say, "soocackalacky," amongst other incoherent southernisms.

Posted by: TANK | May 24, 2010 9:03:31 PM

20. @TANK

You're funny! I see a career for you writing jokes for straight guys. I'm going to go watch NASCAR and get drunk now. SHEEEIT!!

Posted by: John | May 24, 2010 9:24:21 PM

21. Mraz, whoever he is, makes me happy.

Tank, whatever he is, makes me sad.

Posted by: Bruce | May 24, 2010 9:43:06 PM

22. I hardly ever comment on here, but I'm tired of reading Tank's predictable B.S on here. Princess needs to get the pole out of his ass, ASAP.

Posted by: James | May 25, 2010 2:11:57 AM

23. here's another person from richmond!

Posted by: TANK | May 25, 2010 2:53:04 AM

24. I'm sorry you guys, I just like to pull your chains. I think you're right, I am sure there are many nice people in Richmond. I've never been there myself actually, just saw it on youTube. Peace guys and keep up the fun posts!

Posted by: TANK | May 25, 2010 3:02:21 AM

25. Tank, you are pathetic. And alone. It must truly suck being you.

Posted by: The Queen Bitch | May 25, 2010 12:22:05 PM