Global Gay Kiss-In Happening This Weekend and Monday – UPDATE

San Francisco — Monday, May 17, Kiss-in & Solidarity Speak Out, Harvey Milk Plaza, Market and Castro Streets, 5:00 PM – TIME CHANGE

St. Louis — Sunday, May 16, Great Global Kiss-in, Citygarden, Corner of 8th and Market, 3-4 pm.

Portland, Oregon — Monday, May 17, Great Global Kiss-in, Pioneer Square, 701 southwest 6th Ave, 2-3 pm.

Chicago — Sunday, May 16, Great Global Kiss-in, The Bean, Millenium Park, 3-4 pm.

Austin, Texas — Sunday, May 16, City Hall Plaza, 3-4pm

New York CitySunday, May 16, Bethesda Fountain, Central Park, 1:30 – 2pm

New York CityMonday, May 17, Times Square, at the base of the red TKTS staircase, 6-7pm.

Birmingham, Alabama : contact arwen.storey@gmail.com.

International cities, check HERE.

From the organizers: "We are asking people to submit videos to www.youtube.com/group/greatglobalkissin and to tag their pictures on flickr with 'GreatGlobalKissIn'.

Alternatively they can submit them via gays.com/idaho."

Comments

1. Gregoire says

I support these theoretically, but why am I always slightly creeped out by things like ‘kiss-ins’? If I saw this many straight people kissing all at once, I would vomit.

2. jason says

Why is the San Francisco kiss-in being held in the safe confines of Castro street? We need to get out of our segregated enclaves and into the mainstream. We need to challenge the mainstream, not hide away from it.

San Francisco gays obviously have no idea about how to challenge the mainstream. Their brains have been reduced to mush by the concept of comfortable self-segregation. This ain’t gonna get us anywhere.

3. Dalon says

I totally agree with Jason’s post. Why is it being held in Castro?! It needs to be downtown. I live here and it drives me crazy that we are stick to our own neighborhood. Seriously rethink the location in San Francisco.

4. DarwinSF says

Something is wrong here. A kiss-in IN the Castro is not a statement, it’s a normal occurrence. I think that in SF, the kiss-in should happen somewhere less obvious than the Castro, say, the Cable Car turnaround at Powell or the Financial District. At the other cities, like Chicago and Portland, it’s happening in non-gay places. Why not SF?

5. says

and the point of this is???

to shock tourists? (as in chicago)

why not, if you really want the population at large to know who we are and how many we are and where we are, just say, at 2pm or 3pm on this given day, no matter where you are, if you are with a same sex partner, kiss them? imagine if glbts kissed openly at that time at the same places that heteros kiss without thinking twice, like the ballgame, the fast food restaurant, public transit, just walking down the street, at a bus stop, at church, etc…

i’m just sayin’ if you wanna make a substanstive statement…

6. Chuy says

I totally disagree with the location of the San Francisco event — the Castro!? LAME. I might as well just stay home and kiss myself.

This reminds me of a time during the No on Prop 8 campaign where the organizers made volunteers march through the streets of Castro and Market at night — WHY!? Preaching to the big gay choir. Big waste of volunteers’ time and energy.

7. Redebbm says

@Rob that’s a good idea, i think i shall just go with my boyfriend to city hall and kiss anyway. It’s more unexpected easier to get to than weho anyway.

8. Dback says

Why is the Portland one being held in the middle of the afternoon? Couldn’t they have aimed for a lunch hour, or between 5 and 6? I’d love to participate, but don’t want to sacrifice a day’s wages to do so.

9. Brian says

So there is a discrepency in the Portland one… On here it says Monday the 17th, however, on the facebook link it says Sunday the 16th. So which day is it???

10. Richard Choffe says

Imagine an shirtless Mattadore/Scott,
    poolside by moonlight,
    twirling a red silk shirt….
    around his motorcycle-helmet-for-bull,
    doing a mock ballet to….
    Liberace playing Malaguena !!!