Pope Benedict Calls Same-Sex Marriage ‘Dangerous…Insidious’

Benedict

What's more dangerous, or insidious? Two committed people who want to enshrine their love in law? Or a Catholic Church full of priests who molest young boys?

Pope Benedict would like you to believe the former:

"Addressing a huge crowd at the shrine of Fatima at the climax of his four day visit to Portugal, the 83-year-old Pope said that same sex marriage and abortion were among the 'most insidious and dangerous challenges that today confront the common good.' He expressed his 'profound appreciation' for anti-abortion campaigners, who he praised for defending the right to life and the 'recovery of people wounded by the drama of abortion'."

Comments

1. Paul R says

I really don’t give a flying crap what the pope or his church think about anything.

2. Tone says

Well I’d say that his hordes of pedophile priests are the real insidious danger.

3. TANK says

So he’s not going to resign. I don’t know anything papal history other than the juicy parts (and vatican city is a lot of fun…don’t let anyone tell you otherwise; it’s breathtaking), but I don’t think any of them have resigned (perhaps killed off, but not resigned…so killed off…). I don’t even have the energy to type the glaring hypocrisy in his statement…but the reality is that hypocrisy is too impotent a word. Far too impotent a word.

4. stephen says

Can we all stop pretending that we need to feign respect for this man, this religion, or quite frankly… ANY of its followers?!!

If no one challenges their hypocrisy, and I’m talkin’ about the members of the Khurch, not its leaders, then they will never be uncomfortable with the wrong choice they’ve made in siding with discrimination.

Unless they’re ready to start following the mandates of all religions, they need to concede that this man shouldn’t be weighing in on the private lives of other non-katholics.

5. TANK says

stephen, while I applaud your chastizement of everyday catholics who aren’t calling out the pope and church on its criminal behavior to the degree that would be acceptable…you don’t get it. This is much deeper than that. All religions are hypocritical. All religious leaders are frauds, and do things that don’t correspond to their beliefs. You want to get to the source of the conflict here, you need to understand religious belief separate from christian, jew, and muslim.

No religious belief deserves respect. Tolerance iff it doesn’t cause demonstrable harm, sure. But not respect.

6. Kent says

STFU Old man. I know he speaks for the Catholic Church, but speak for God? Not a snowball’s chance in hell.

7. Gridlock says

Maybe the Popenführer will take a tumble down the stairs in his prada pumps

8. Harry says

Right to life? How about a right to a sexualy abusive free childhood? The Catholic church is a sad joke in modern times. The pope should be sent to do hard labor in Siberia.

9. j.m.s. says

well, to be fair, you don’t exactly have (most)people trying to legitimatize/legalize pedophilic acts.

10. walter says

ratzi is nothing but a drag queen in an expensive dress and prada slippers. observe they are ruby colored prada slippers. he has obstructed justice, blocked prosecution, moved pedophiles from parish to parish covered up for priests. he speaks of morality what a fucking hipocrit. why doesn’t he just curl up and die and finally do something useful

11. Lez says

I think the mirror cracked a long time ago on the Catholic church – DO AS I TELL YOU NOT AS I DO!

If (and by that I mean IF) there is a god who created this life form and they’re sitting back and watching what is going on their equivalent of a flat-screen TV then I’m sure the reality TV show called “Earth” is a ratings winner as you couldn’t make up what is happening.

12. patrick says

IMHO, the pope is wrong about this REGARDLESS of whether or not some of his priests are child molesters and IMHO conflating the 2 issues in the same conversation ultimately hurts your/our credibility on gay marriage.

13. bading says

FUCK YOU Joseph Ratzinger! I hope you suffer most if not all of the torture techniques listed below. These were used during the Inquisition, now renamed The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith which you formerly headed:

1. A sharp iron fork was used to mangle breasts.
    2. Red hot pincers were used to tear off flesh. 3. Red hot irons were inserted up vaginas and rectums.
    4. A device named the turcas was used to tear out fingernails and after they were ripped out, needles were shoved into the quicks.
    5. Boots called bootikens were used to lacerate flesh and crush bone.
    6. Thumbscrews were used to crush the fingers and toes.
    7. Acid was poured on victims and hands were immersed into pots of boiling oil and water.
    8. Eyes were gouged out by irons.
    9. Alcohol was poured on the head and set alight.
    10. Water was poured down the throat with a notted cloth and was then jerked out tearing up the victims bowels.

DIE, KKKatholic scum, DIE!

14. James says

I’m less offended by Pope Benedict’s statements than I am by gay “Cafeteria Catholics” who hold on to a church that has made it clear it does not want them.

15. James says

And in other news an old man in a dress revealed that he believes that love between 2 consenting adults made a spirit in the sky angry.

The church is a joke, which just might prove that if God exists he’s got a fucking great sense of humor, and a streak for the ironic.

16. says

You know what else is indidious? interfering with the will of a democratically elected government, that’s what. Portugal’s president is weighing whether or not to sign a law legalizing same sex marriage in the country. The pope is clearly trying to influence his decision. The people of portugal wouldn’t stand for the leader of any other country telling their president what to do. Why should they accept the same from the pope?

17. Maxcor says

It’s partially because of the indoctrination and oligarchical control of dogma that makes me reject organised religions. By nature, they are resistant to change. From personal experience of the Catholic church, the discrepancies between the laity, lower ranking priests and the oligarchy of cardinals and the pope is very telling of the problems of a top-down religious organisation.

18. Xman says

why is it this old man who wears a funny pointed had makes stupid outrageous claims like this still; still gets away with crap like this. He reminds me of that old man from FMILY GUY who’s always after Kris.

19. Chal says

Once again, whenever I read stuff like this, I am reminded how incredibly grateful I am to my parents for their wisdom in not inflicting religious brainwashing upon me.

No church, no “holy books” in the house, no Sunday “school”– just love and encouragement… and Aesop’s Fables, which they stressed were not true stories.

20. Rainbowcatholic says

I can’t say that I’m surprised that you, Andy Towle have sunk to the same level as the right winger crazies like Sarah Palin, making broad sweeping remarks about an entire body of people. Full of molestig priests? I don’t think so. You only hear about the one in a hundred thousand that do bad things. And look, you’ve gone and incited people to do just the same. Shame on you. You should be spreading love and understanding, not sinking to the same level ad those you despise.

21. Bosie says

Idiots all his followers….they accept and are part of these sexual abuse against children and the abuse agaisnt women in 3rd world countries…this bastard spits venom and they eat it..

HIPOCRITES PIGS…the pope can eat my dogs poop.

22. Lez says

I don’t normally comment on other peoples comments, however in this case I need to.

@Rainbowcatholic I’ve gone back and can’t seem to see where “Full of molestig priests?” is in the item, but moving on, you note “…only hear about the one in a hundred thousand that do bad things” – it not just those that “do bad things” that is wrong it is also those who do nothing about it or try to hide it when they do find out.

Many of the “christians” (yes with a lower case c) that I know don’t talk hatred – using selections of a book that supports their bigotry – they practice being a christian as in by showing qualities such as kindness, helpfulness, and concern for others.

23. ventura says

Jesus Christ himself must be Oh so proud of this fucking monster who calls himself the leader of the Catholic Church! if JC came back today I believe he would bitch slap this cunt all the way to hell!”

24. DireFates says

Any news on whether Portugal’s president will veto the gay marriage bill? I’ve read that if he does veto it, it will still pass under a full vote of parliament, but how assured is this?

25. Rev. Joseph Shore-Goss says

The pope protests too much. Vatican rumor mill has it that his secretary is his lover of many a year! I wish some one would out him already!

26. Kalamzoo Kid says

Why are you posting this? Publicizing it only gives it legitimacy. What the Pope says about gay marriage (or anything for that matter) is irrelevant. It’s like telling the world what my neighbor thinks about lettuce: pointless.

27. pete riordin says

Since child molestation has been a standard of practice for many decades, can I presume that Catholic-schools-as-rape-camps is approved of by God?

28. Ron says

Is it me or does the pope look and behave more and more like the emperor is the Star Wars series?

29. Sean R says

We should put dangerous and insidious in our wedding vows just to piss him off…

seriously, abusing children isn’t dangerous and insidious? Idiotic old troll, off to Shady Pines with you.

30. ElCamino says

To each his own, I guess. In my humble opinion, dusty old men who rile the public with inflammatory, sensationalist, derogatory remarks having no basis whatsoever are among the most dangerous and insidious challenges confronting the common good. The very nature of Pope Benedict’s remarks makes me strongly question whether he has any conception of what ‘the common good’ entails.

31. walter says

remember ratzi trained under the biggest hate monger in the history of the world,hitler.remember his solution to people he considered insidious.the pope uses the type of speech just more hidden

32. jamal49 says

Pope, honey….there is only ONE thing in this world that is “dangerous” and “insidious”, and that is your church–and YOU!

See, somebody’s got to explain to me why Catholic priests and Catholic lay people who lobby elected officials on behalf of the Catholic Church are not required to register as lobbyists for a foreign government.

We have diplomatic relations with the Vatican, right? The Vatican, via its clerics and laity actively promote its “religious” views to influence secular law in a free, democratic society. Are there not grounds to break diplomatic relations with the Vatican? They subvert the democratic process.

I don’t know. I am getting pretty tired of this disgusting, deviant, embittered, vacuous old man having ANY say about ANY aspect of our private, emotional and sexual lives.

33. TANK says

And yet not a single charge of “racism” from any of the posters. The spineless left isn’t out clamoring for “tolerance” when it comes to catholicism, but as soon as you attack that fascist war cult islam…they start to impotently moan. It’s a lot like the new antisemitism that they call antizionism.

34. walter says

hey tank where did racism come into this?
    and posters are attacking the pope for being a hipocrit and standing in front of hundreds of thousands of people and saying gays are incidious, while covering for pedophiles and obstructing justice. they even pimp out the popes choir so tell me why shouldn’t they get attacked.Christ taught love and the church preaches hate so how is that Christian

35. TANK says

Whatever jesus taught (which is subject to whatever anyone thinks he taught, apparently), I’m not defending the catholic church. It’s just interesting that amongst the so-called liberal elite, it’s okay to align yourself with the most radical elements of islam which are rabidly antisemitic (and anti freedom), and call it antizionism, but if you criticize islam, you’re an islamophobe, and they characterize that as racism for some reason (as if an ideology was a race). Not so if you criticize the christian reichwing. It’s a sickness that’s infecting so-called liberal intelligentsia. But it always has, as the extreme left has more in common with the extreme right than they do with mainstream liberalism.

36. walter says

i didn’t see any one aligned with islam radical or otherwise. i feel all religions who preach hate have a lot to learn. this whole discussion is based on a man who has obstructed justice protected pedophiles and then blamed everyone else for the churchs problems.

37. TANK says

Alright, let’s dumb this down.

When you criticize christianity, there aren’t the usual idiots who scream of bigotry and intolerance, or call you a racist (though there are some…rightwing christians who do). And christianity, and particularly the catholic church, calls for harsh criticism.

When you criticize islam, there usually is a large contingent of them calling you a racist bigot, or islamophobe.

Not here, but generally. It’s a noteworthy hypocrisy.

38. Derek says

Wow tank you are so incredibly smart, I want to bask in your glow.

It is interesting though, given how smart you think you are, that you don’t have more to do with your time than comment and “dumb things downs” for us here on towleroad.

Hmmmmmm makes you wonder why that is?