AIDS/HIV | Film | News | Sarah Jessica Parker | Sex and the City

BigGayDeal.com

Watch:
The 'Sex and the City 2' Interview That Turns Suddenly Serious

Sjp

Our Towleroad correspondents Josh Helmin (interviewer) and Josh Koll (editor) put together a brief clip for us with the Sex and the City 2 women.

Helmin asks Sarah Jessica Parker about her first gay friend, who she says is no longer with us.

Says Parker: "There seems to be, of concern to me, young men that are now sick again, or are HIV positive, and I think that because they were too young to see what happened 20 years ago, to know the devastation and the absolute heartbreak that accompanied that time."

Helmin asks the four stars of the film about marriage equality, given that there's a gay wedding in the film. Kristin Davis is extremely excited that Laura Bush is on board.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And coming up shortly, Nathaniel Rogers' review of the film.

Comments

1. Sarah Jessica Parker should shut up. The decision to put oneself, and others, at risk of HIV is a personal choice, and nobody should criticize what anybody else does in bed. To do otherwise is to be both homophobic and sex-phobic.

Posted by: Ira | May 28, 2010 8:35:16 AM

2. No, it really isn't. You ridiculous creature.

Posted by: JJ | May 28, 2010 8:46:10 AM

3. To put someone else at risk for HIV is a personal choice? I'm assuming you are joking/faking/freaking crazy Ira?

Posted by: Kitty Boots | May 28, 2010 8:50:30 AM

4. I think what she was trying to say was that some younger people don't understand the consequences of their actions, b/c they don't know what it was like in the past.

After losing so many people in the 80's and 90's, she probably just can't imagine why anyone would want to have to endure what her friends did.

Posted by: Derek | May 28, 2010 8:53:07 AM

5. IRA, how is getting HIV a personal decision exactly, and what from SJP said thinks she's speaking any ill will on anyone. Are you fucking crazy?? She simply stated a well known fact. 20 years ago gay men were dieing in droves because of this very misunderstood disease, my father being one of them. Watching his health fail, his lungs go, the sores and the weight. It's nothing to do with being a personal decision. My father did not set out to contract this disease. SJP is simply saying that the gay men of this generation didn't have to live through that. The gay men of our generation weren't in the hospitals and bedsides of people as they withered away to nothing until the died!! What she is saying is true: With all the information out there, gay men need to be protected with condoms and knowledge. How is that wrong to say? She isn't homophobic in the least, and if you got that from her interview that you my friend need to rewatch and stop projecting! She didn't say don't fuck, she said before you fuck know what you are getting into because unfortunately HIV/AIDS is still here and is still killing people.

Have you watched someone who had so much life wither away to nothing? Have you seen the sunken in eye sockets, the sores. The sweats and the chills. The bones that stick out because of the weight that is lost because you can't eat. Have you seen the breathing tubes that people have to use because their lungs don't work anymore? I have! This was my father!! Most gay kids of this generation didn't see that! They've been told that you won't die from this disease. They aren't scared, but damn it you should be!! Having HIV/AIDS isn't pretty. Getting sick and being on the verge of death isn't fun! Sarah Jessica Parker is saying what many in the gay community should be saying, and I for one applaud her! At least someone is saying it isn't cool to contract this deadly disease! As for the homophobic and sex-phobic comments, really? She's stating a fact, more and more gay men are getting HIV. Duh... Should the numbers be going down considering what knowledge we have, yes. Thanks SJP for being a true friend to gay men everywhere....

Posted by: James N Philly | May 28, 2010 8:58:22 AM

6. @ira the decision to put yourself at risk is one thing, but to put others at risk is quite another.

i think you are just trying to get a rise out of people so i'm going to pretend you're joking.

Posted by: jgm22 | May 28, 2010 9:08:32 AM

7. @James N Philly -- SING OUT LOUISE!!!!!

"Personal choice" is fascism at its most absolute.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 28, 2010 9:31:17 AM

8. wow, 20 yrs... it's like yesterday and forever ago.

Youth thinks itself invincible. It was a horrible time and no one would want to re-live it.

Having unsafe sex isn't a political statement, it's just foolish. Get tested, wear condoms, have tons of sex.

Posted by: stephen | May 28, 2010 9:34:38 AM

9. I appreciate her sentiment but wow, could SJP have been any LESS articulate in that quote?

Posted by: AM | May 28, 2010 10:03:15 AM

10. Ira - shame on you. And let me remind you that the people who work tirelessly to denounce gays, to deny us basic civil rights, to maintain the illusion that we're in some way less than what they are...they are also exercising a personal choice.

To suggest that someone should feel they can infect someone with HIV with impunity - which is exactly what you just did - is beyond deplorable.

Posted by: Rob | May 28, 2010 10:11:35 AM

11. Shut up, Ira.

As for these beautiful ladies - I love 'em and I'll be seeing SATC2 whether critics think I should or not!

Posted by: KFLO | May 28, 2010 10:11:48 AM

12. Ira:
    Put down the crack pipe/tina and wake the fuck up! If you want to get infected then great, go get infected. How the hell is a promotion of safe sex anti-sex????
    You have basically just spit in the face of all those that fought the good fight when there weren't any of these drug cocktails around (to keep your sorry ass alive) and passed away from a disease that you clearly have no respect for.
    Fuck you, you little piece of shit!

Posted by: tooboot | May 28, 2010 10:12:27 AM

13. Not to pile on, but my god. Ira. Get your head examined.

Posted by: MusicBoy | May 28, 2010 10:13:31 AM

14. I was happy to comment to say how much I LOVE these LADIES and I get accosted by Ira’s inane message. These women spoke beautifully and it only made me love them even more. Ira, methinks it’s time to start exercising the little of what’s left of your mind and think before you speak.

As far as SJP, she seemed a bit choked up about her friend not ineloquent in the least.

Posted by: Jeff in NC | May 28, 2010 10:29:14 AM

15. Sarah is absolutely correct. There is a new generation of kids who didn't see the dark ages of AIDS and think it's OK to be reckless, as if HIV is strep throat.

Posted by: James | May 28, 2010 10:45:18 AM

16. Parker seemed really caught off guard by the question of her first gay friend, like she was taken back to when she lost him. Her answer was spot on. It's a crime that so many do not know the true cost of HIV/AIDS.

As for that little shit Ira, you are a douche bag.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 28, 2010 11:24:50 AM

17. Most young people in every generation think they're invincible. That it 'can't happen to them'.

This second generation are living with drugs that are prolonging their lives, something that those in the late 70's/early 80's didn't have. In fact, research bares out that most will die of old age rather than of complications of the disease anymore. Nice, but who the hell wants to live on enough medication to kill a horse and run you into the poorhouse for years?

I was 19 living in the Bay Area when it hit San Francisco back in '79 and I tell everyone I can what it was like... and let me tell you... it brings me no friggin' pleasure to do so. But like all atrocities, it must be remembered, lest we be damned to repeat it. The disease it's self was bad enough... the friggin' fear it generated though, that was a whole other 'ugly'.

But you'd be surprised at how much misconception is still out there. I remember it being called the "gay man's" disease... and there are a whole hell of a lot who still think it is and would say to me... "But I'm not gay" or even "Who gets that anymore?" after one of my classes.

The scariest thing I read from the CDC not to long ago, was that HIV was on the rise in the gay community... when for years, it kept declining.

All this 'closet shit' has got to stop. Kids are not going to 'abstain'... they need to be educated... BY THE EDUCATED!

Posted by: aleabeth | May 28, 2010 12:26:01 PM

18. oh ira that comment makes u sound soooo un attractive.....damn straight immature....look at the facts hun,our community needs to get serious on this stuff

Posted by: sal | May 28, 2010 1:08:41 PM

19. Oh, I can't wait to see this movie! I've got two of my fattest hags lined up to go with me, and we're going to get really drunk beforehand, and make obscene and disruptive noises braying either our approval or disapproval at whatever these dried up old harpies are clucking about on the screen. Then, we're going to some restaurant afterward to "process" the experience, dissecting every outfit, tragically unfunny line, and queef masquerading as insight that occurred! It's just too bad I won't have a bladder infection to help pass the time while I'm at the theater.

Hmm, HIV is still the tragedy today it was twenty years ago. You will live dramatically less. It's not a personal choice, or even a choice when someone willfully misleads you, and while it does "take two," that fact alone doesn't automatically exonerate the pozzer from responsibility for infecting his partner...he is responsible.

Posted by: TANK | May 28, 2010 1:59:47 PM

20. Ira is a pitifully stupid stupid man.

Posted by: paul | May 28, 2010 2:25:50 PM

21. fantastic film!!!! Just saw it today(early) and its best to watch early to avoid the crowds!!! It was good from start to finish and unlike the 1st even the semi sad moments were funny!! GO SEE THIS FILM!!

Posted by: kate | May 28, 2010 6:07:38 PM

22. I love these women.

Posted by: Carlos | May 29, 2010 6:57:30 AM

23. This is relevant how?

Shhhhh...listen very closely. Sounds like agents and publicists working overtime to quell the backlash of Gay stereotypes in her movie.

Huvane, Levine & Treciokas have some work to do. Were they sleeping? Or high? Who could look at those characters and not be embarrassed?

They should be ashamed of pimping AIDS to sell a movie. A piece of shit movie at that.

Posted by: MarkDC | May 29, 2010 12:54:04 PM

24. Funny how Parker and King steer clear of equally offensive lesbian stereotypes.

Guess they're comfortable turning Garson and Cantone into clowns for a Gayface minstrel show...

...but they wouldn't dare piss off Cynthia Nixon.

Posted by: MarkDC | May 29, 2010 12:56:08 PM

25. Stupid faggots miss the point entirely...AGAIN.

Parker and publicists are pimping AIDS for a piece of shit movie.

But don't worry yourselves about more important issues. Because eviscerating one another is much more important. Keep those iPods on and the appletinis flowing.

We wouldn't want you to be relevant.

Posted by: MarkDC | May 29, 2010 1:02:29 PM