American Idol | Lady Gaga | Music | News

Watch: Lady Gaga on American Idol — the Uncut Version

Gaga

Leave it to American Idol to hack apart the one thing people were returning to the show to watch. Lady Gaga's performance of "Alejandro" last night was edited to make more time for annoying filler from Ryan Seacrest or something. The uncut version is much better than what was shown on FOX, though the image quality of this clip is pretty awful. Will try to get another (if anyone finds better, leave link in the comments).

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. ugh so good.

Posted by: JonBenet | May 6, 2010 9:37:27 AM

2. I thought it was interesting that they lavished a lot of attention on the semi-nude guys until the scene where they started caressing each other. Then it was only tight shots of Gaga and her male caresser and long-distance shots.

Posted by: Andrew | May 6, 2010 9:44:19 AM

3. I watched AI last night. I don't know how much of a conscience decisionit was but they seemed to have edited out almost all of the scenes where the guys were dancing together. Only caught brief flashes. Quite disappointing

Posted by: Raven | May 6, 2010 9:52:14 AM

4. Much better quality.

Other than the men that joined her for this performance, I'm still kind of underwhelmed by her live renditions of this single--and it's one of my favorites.

Posted by: Derek @ Madison | May 6, 2010 9:52:23 AM

5. I love Gaga - but last night's performance was a train wreck - everything was wrong from the vocals to the backing track to the outfits...

Idol is just such a mess this year though! Here's a blog piece I recently wrote about the 'season of suck' - and 8 ways to fix it going forward...

Posted by: Richie | May 6, 2010 9:54:56 AM

6. A little better, but I think the goth forest styling with the cheesy fire angel need to go. I demand better for my theme song, girl! Get a mantilla and some castanets and dress your boys up in matador pants.

Posted by: Alex | May 6, 2010 9:59:55 AM

7. Was it edited in some TV markets and not others? I just watched the clip online, it looks excatly like what I saw last night broacast in LA.

Posted by: OC Guy | May 6, 2010 10:04:43 AM

8. Meh. And that song sounds just like La Isla Bonita. Nothing new under the sun.

Posted by: Q | May 6, 2010 10:08:27 AM

9. Maybe now Jason will finally shut up about Lady Gaga not showing any male-male sensuality. I liked the performance, but I think Idol limited what could have been a spectacular performance.

Posted by: Juan | May 6, 2010 10:12:11 AM

10. Was nice to see the hot Mark from So You Think You Can Dance as one of her featured back-up dancers.

Posted by: rob | May 6, 2010 10:27:27 AM

11. What was edited out? I didn't see anything wrong with this performance. Love gaga!

Posted by: KFLO | May 6, 2010 10:39:23 AM

12. WOW! I am a huge GaGa fan, but I also find myself in agreement with Richie and Q. I thought the performance (edited or not) was a hot mess (and not in a good way). Frankly, the song itself is either an ode to Madonna or simply rehash of La Isla Bonita (which I never liked either).

Regardless, I'll indulge her on this one and let it slip by. There are far better songs off of Fame Monster.

Posted by: Keith | May 6, 2010 10:39:47 AM

13. Q, it's meant to sound like an ABBA song and has some clever Fernando references. But nice try.

Posted by: Robert | May 6, 2010 11:03:18 AM

14. I love the Gogs, but what they showed on Idol just sucked. If I were her, I'd sue 'em.

Posted by: romeo | May 6, 2010 11:14:04 AM

15. Gaga is amazing. To think she was on a minor stage at the Gay Pride Events of 2008 in San Francisco. Two years later the most watched woman in the world. Astonishing. A few weeks ago someone on this site complained that she did not advance man to man relationships. Well, I guess this video fixed that.

Posted by: bgoldmund | May 6, 2010 11:17:41 AM

16. This whole idea that Gaga is the next coming of Madonna is so insulting I can't even see straight. I realize each generation needs their Idol and Gaga is for many, but she's no Madonna. Yes, she probably has a better voice, but her gimmicks are transparent and ridiculous. Madonna was edgy. This is not edgy. It's awful.

Gaga is that girl who was nerdy in high school and hung out with the gay guys and was fortunate enough to have a voice and willingness to embarrass herself so now she's famous. She's campy and I respect her for that and can be entertained by that. But when I hear gay guys rave about her genius and brilliance, I throw up in my mouth a little.

Posted by: Caleb | May 6, 2010 11:27:01 AM

17. I love that she is now doing full-on Terence Koh. His humongous black rubber-dipped Baccarat crystal chandelier would look particularly gruesome in that set.

Posted by: bading | May 6, 2010 11:30:51 AM

18. I still prefer Jessie Tyler Ferguson's rendition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWvggPT46Xg&feature

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 6, 2010 11:40:34 AM

19. This one's pretty good!

Posted by: Brooks | May 6, 2010 11:41:43 AM

20. AT ROB- It's nice somebody else noticed too!
    That is MARK from So You Think You Can Dance on the left side of the picture. I'm so glad he's working with Gaga still. He performed with her at the MTV Music Awards too.

Posted by: SAM | May 6, 2010 11:47:08 AM

21. Other than the first few phrases at the opening, and a half second in the middle, this clip is the same as what was aired. AI is so padded it really doesn't need to trim it's star performances at all. I speed forward through all of Ryan's needless so-called-tension-building-suspense of "you stand on this side of the stage, now you sit down, now you do a backflip to the chair because you're safe, yada yada yada".

Posted by: Bud Perry | May 6, 2010 1:03:13 PM

22. She tries so hard, yet produces so little.

Posted by: Dave | May 6, 2010 4:43:57 PM

23. The video is in iTunes. I think it's the full performance, seeing as it's 6 minutes and 30 seconds. At least we have it in a decent enough quality.

Posted by: Jeff | May 6, 2010 5:05:59 PM

24. Ace of Base - Don't turn around. Oryginal is always better.

Posted by: cvb | May 6, 2010 5:30:46 PM

25. AI sucks, and this variation is part of the reason. The clip posted by Brooks is completely different from what they showed last night (I TiVo'd it for the first and last time, to see her perform). Much more male flesh and male-male interaction than I saw on my feed. Though if someone on Gaga's team designed those men's outfits, they should be fired. They came up way too high. Still, her blond backup dancer is always a delight to behold.

It's also so pathetic that they have Ryan Seacrest do things like say, "I'll talk to you later, OK?" to a female audience member. So unconvincing.

Posted by: Paul R | May 6, 2010 5:32:27 PM