Guatemala | News | weather

WTF Photo: Massive Sinkhole Swallows Guatemalan Intersection

Crater

Check out this unbelievable shot.

Tropical Storm Agatha powered through Guatemala over the weekend and caused this massive sinkhole to swallow an entire intersection in Guatemala City.

"A local newspaper reported that a private security guard was killed when the sinkhole opened up, but authorities had not confirmed the fatality. Residents said that a poor sewage drainage system underground was to blame for the sinkhole. A similar hole opened up nearby last year, they said."

Comments

1. Holy Shit!

Posted by: aleabeth | May 31, 2010 9:08:34 PM

2. oh my god

Posted by: steven | May 31, 2010 9:12:49 PM

3. I want to believe that's real, but part of me thinks it's photoshopped.

Posted by: Lee | May 31, 2010 9:12:55 PM

4. They need to put up a fence. Now.

Posted by: Rodney | May 31, 2010 9:38:38 PM

5. Whoaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! Dude this is some serious apocalyptic shit!

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | May 31, 2010 9:40:22 PM

6. If that doesn't send the faithful over the edge, I don't know what will. Volcanoes, tropical storms, sink holes, ... What's next? Another quake to kill 20,000+ like in the 70's. Holy crap! Hang in there vecinos! (And that photo looks very photo-shopped.)

Posted by: castaway | May 31, 2010 9:50:30 PM

7. Ummm...apparently this isn't the first time? WTF, Guatemala!?

Posted by: John | May 31, 2010 10:12:37 PM

8. Makes me feel a little guilty for calling the city last week to complain about the pothole on my street.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 31, 2010 10:40:05 PM

9. I used to date a guy with a hole like that.

Posted by: Coco Vonloco | May 31, 2010 11:54:35 PM

10. Um, yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this photo. A sinkhole is never that geometrically sound. It almost looks like a donut hole. Too perfect. There'd be more jagged edges and it wouldn't be so symmetrical.

Not saying a sinkhole didn't happen in Guatemala. Just calling bullshit on this particular photo.

@coco: BTW, either that must've been like throwing a hotdog down a hallway or you're incredibly well hung.

If it's the latter, call me.

Posted by: Stephen | Jun 1, 2010 12:37:35 AM

11. Gaint Worms attack!

Posted by: Oliver | Jun 1, 2010 12:41:48 AM

12. Giant* haha anyway I think its cool :X

Posted by: Oliver | Jun 1, 2010 12:43:23 AM

13. Too circular, too perfect. This is a fake. That hole is not real. A broken sewer pipe or storm drain would cause a sink hole but a perfectly circular one, nah.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jun 1, 2010 12:47:47 AM

14. Associated Press is running the photo with a note that it was released by the President's Office in Guatemala. It's apparently real. But one cutline I saw said the President's Office will be investigating the cause further. Suggests they are not entirely convinced it's a sinkhole, at least not a typical one.

Posted by: jpeckjr | Jun 1, 2010 12:49:04 AM

15. "they are not entirely convinced it's a sinkhole, at least not a typical one"

Any Scientologists seen hanging around looking suspicious???

Posted by: BobN | Jun 1, 2010 1:07:23 AM

16. The AP has been duped by photo shopped hoaxes several times before. I'd be surprised if this was true.

@ Stephen: LMAO...you made my night.

Posted by: Geoff M | Jun 1, 2010 1:13:31 AM

17. Okay, I was leaning toward the Photoshop theory myself. Only problem: there's video of it on Youtube and photos taken from other angles.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 1, 2010 2:17:10 AM

18. http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/05/31/honduras.storm.emergency/index.html?hpt=T1

Posted by: Bren | Jun 1, 2010 2:17:47 AM

19. Holy shit. What the hell.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 1, 2010 4:14:51 AM

20. http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/hydrology/sinkholes/
    Sinkholes are a common naturally occurring geologic phenomenon. It also happened quite often in Florida.

Posted by: simon | Jun 1, 2010 6:59:40 AM

21. I am placing this story right up there with the endless repeat of "Is the Smoking Baby video real?" teasers all weekend. It looks too much like something badly created for the SyFy channel.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 1, 2010 7:14:34 AM

22. Yep, I grew up in Florida and there are sinkholes, ancient and contemporary, all over the place, and many of them are perfectly round, some small, some large, the latter resulting in lakes--hence why Florida has more lakes than any other state.

Posted by: Joseph | Jun 1, 2010 7:47:08 AM

23. Id like to know whats at the bottom, and HOW DEEP is it? Why don't they get a camera down there?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 1, 2010 8:10:32 AM

24. Wow, is that picture true?

Posted by: masseuse sensual | Jun 1, 2010 8:37:59 AM