Australia | Gay Marriage | Julia Gillard | News

Australia's New Prime Minister Confirms She's Against Gay Marriage

Gillard

Nothing looks set to change with regard to marriage rights for Australian gays and lesbians, at least as it pertains to their new Prime Minster Julia Gillard:

"Days after declaring she did not believe in God, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has distanced herself from the issue of gay marriage, saying she had no plans to legalise it. Ms Gillard told Austereo radio yesterday that it was not the policy of the Labor Party to legalise gay marriage and that was also her own view. 'We believe the Marriage Act is appropriate in its current form, that it's recognising that marriage is between a man and a woman, but we have as a government taken steps to equalise treatment for gay couples in things that government does like social security benefits and the like,' she said."

Comments

1. If she doesn't believe in God, then there's absolutely no justification for denying civil marriage equality to GLBT people. Period. If I were an Aussie, I'd be pissed off.

Also, she needs to have her roots done. Yuck.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 30, 2010 11:22:52 AM

2. Milkman, you don't need to be an Aussie to be pissed off. She makes me want to throw up just looking at her. WEAK. Despicable. Cruel.

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 30, 2010 11:24:58 AM

3. Probably has cobwebs in her vagina.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 30, 2010 11:36:40 AM

4. OUT THE BITCH!!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 30, 2010 11:52:23 AM

5. That makes no sense at all. Take away religion and there isn't a single reason why you should deny equal rights to LGBT people, except blatant homophobia. So she is either 1) an idiot incapable of logical thinking 2) a blind, prejudiced, mean homophobe or 3) pure evil. And I believe any of those cases makes a person unqualified to represent a civilized country.

Posted by: Chris K | Jun 30, 2010 12:01:47 PM

6. THIS in a country that supports marriage equality by 60%!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 30, 2010 12:14:58 PM

7. Isn't that Severus Snape in drag?

Posted by: Randy | Jun 30, 2010 12:17:53 PM

8. This is pure politicking. She's attempting to appeal to the middle and right before the upcoming election. I don't honestly think she is against it, note she clearly states that 'it's not in her plans'. In my opinion that makes it worse. She knows it's really no big deal, but is appealing to the lowest common denominator (ie - dumb people).

I'm an Aussie, and I am pissed.

Posted by: James | Jun 30, 2010 12:18:09 PM

9. Will gay organizations worldwide organize a ban/boycott of Australia; probably not. Things won't change unless these "people and organizations" are hit from all angles and the pocket is but one way.

Gays will never have the courage to maintain things because sometimes this community is far too much into "merriment."

Posted by: True Words | Jun 30, 2010 12:21:23 PM

10. Not sure what not believing in God and Marriage Equality have in common but I hope she and her party loses the next election.

Posted by: CGD | Jun 30, 2010 1:10:35 PM

11. Rotten, fugly cunt!

(And fuck any of you apologists who want to make an issue of my use of the word 'cunt'. I love women and believe they deserve equal rights/equal pay. But when a woman is in a position of power and she chooses to use that power to oppress others, then she is a miserable cunt.)

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 30, 2010 1:20:27 PM

12. Oh, yes. "Separate but equal." I guess they have water fountains in Perth that say "Queers only" and "Real Australians" on them.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jun 30, 2010 1:38:45 PM

13. Well, there are stupid, unethical atheists, too. But it's not because of their atheism, unlike religion...no atheist is unethical BECAUSE of atheism--atheism doesn't instruct one on how to behave.

So why is it that she's opposed to same sex marriage (and is thus behaving unethically)? Politician, blah blah, bored.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 30, 2010 1:49:09 PM

14. And I've heard a few so-called "secular arguments" against same sex marriage and gay civil equality...they're usually propounded by religionists who realize that they can't sell jesus magic to somewhat literate people, and have to rely on more than hocus pocus to oppose it...however, there are homophobic atheists. The arguments are pretty bad, too. OF course, there were so-called secular arguments for slavery as well.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 30, 2010 1:51:34 PM

15. Seriously, the comments here really let down an excellent site. She opposes gay marriage. That's all kinds of wrong and ignorant. You can quite easily point out that it's wrong and ignorant and all kinds of other stuff, but what do we have here instead? Misogyny. Why criticise her policies when you can devalue her as a human being by bitching about how she looks and whether she gets f*cked or not? And seriously peterparker? You're pulling the 'and I'm not sexist I love women' after calling her fugly? I'm sure she's not homophobic but... either.

Criticise the bit that's wrong. It's not difficult.

Posted by: Pavlov's Cat | Jun 30, 2010 5:35:43 PM

16. I'd just like to point out that as an australian she's the best option we've got. Unfortunately Bob Brown is never going to be elected prime minister and the only other option is Tony Abbot, who has said publicly that homosexuals frighten him, amongst a lot of other stupid things.

Posted by: T | Jun 30, 2010 5:43:06 PM

17. Ohhh, I see, she's cruel because she's not conventionally beautiful and has a vagina! Wait, shit, I have one of those! Maybe that's why I'm stupid (but somehow scheming at the same time), weak (oh but also constantly controlling), and a slut (but frigid if it's YOU that wants it) and of course irreparably defected. Well don't worry- I'll work on having my cunt removed and I'll explain this o my girlfriend too. Whew, good to know that even though Gilliard doesn't think Jane and I deserve equality, at least you guys are looking out for us!

Posted by: Rachel | Jun 30, 2010 7:00:32 PM

18. OMG, she is really one ugly prime minister. And I thought Germany's Angela Merkel was ugly. In a country that gives us Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, Hugh Jackman, Heath Ledger, Elle MacPherson, Kylie Minogue, Russell Crowe and Nicole Kidman, this is the best you can do for a prime minister?? Next!

Posted by: Paul | Jun 30, 2010 9:42:57 PM

19. She's an absolute two faced, backstabbing disgrace, the Rudd was just as bad, and now, like McDonalds, Australia is run by a red headed clown.
    The unions run this country, not the government. sad sad state of affairs

Posted by: Lee F | Jun 30, 2010 10:09:30 PM

20. Insults based on her terrible crime of Not Looking Perfect While Female or even worse, being Female While Female: 11

Criticisms based on her moral failures: 5

Glad to fucking hear you're just as willing as she is to repress me... Shame you can't turn people gay cause otherwise you fucking misogynist assholes would be increasing my dating pool at an astronomical rate. I hope you all die in a fucking fire, especially Mr "I love women, that's why it's okay if I degrade them! Sure it contributes to women getting discriminated against, opressed, humiliated, and raped every day but I can ignore that because I'm a man and this one woman here did something wrong!"

Posted by: Rachel | Jun 30, 2010 11:34:34 PM

21. Dear Gay People, calling our opponents "ugly", "cunt-faced" so and sos with "bad hair" is not going to get anybody to join our side of the debate.

Ugh.

Posted by: Glenn | Jul 1, 2010 12:54:10 AM

22. Dear Glenn, you are an ugly, cunt-faced so and so with bad hair.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 1, 2010 1:34:20 AM

23. Why get so vitriolic? She's not so "fugly"; I mean isn't there a bit of Maggie Smith in that stern Miss Jean Brodie profile? And she seems to be on the right side of social politics despite this pesonal (probably religiously-induced-despite-her-atheism)and politically unfortunate pronouncement. She has to know this doesn't represent her constiuency. Nonetheless, I dig her Jodie Foster look and think she's ripe for persuasion to equal marriage and homoparental adoption like her look-alike.

Posted by: expatfrance | Jul 1, 2010 8:40:34 AM

24. I have to agree that criticizing her just because she doesn't look like your idea of a beautiful woman is inappropriate. Her job is to run the country, not to look like a Playboy model.

Posted by: Craig | Jul 1, 2010 2:04:59 PM

25. I'm 100% in favour of gay marriage and gay rights. It breaks my heart that people are victimised for who they are attracted to.

None of that will change because people on here attack Gilliard's appearance. But it's still a shame to see people who ought to be allies being misogynistic fucking arseholes instead.

You who imagine that equality for gays - in other words, respect for ALL humans - can ever be achieved while still shitting all over women's rights are fools, and nasty fools at that.

Posted by: Finisterre | Jul 4, 2010 10:44:48 AM