Crime | Esera Tuaolo | Minnesota

Esera Tuaolo Arrested

Former Minnesota Vikings player Esera Tuaolo, who came out as a gay man in 2002, was arrested in Minnesota last week for domestic assault and charged with three misdemeanors. Details of the altercation are few but the Pioneer Press sheds some light on the basics:

Esera"According to the incident report, Ramsey County sheriff's deputies were dispatched at 5:45 p.m. Sunday on a report of a domestic assault. Tuaolo is accused of assaulting the person near the 300 block of County Road 96 in North Oaks. It is unclear who the alleged victim was.

Ramsey County sheriff's office spokeswoman Holli Drinkwine said the office would not release further details, and any additional information would have to go through the North Oaks city attorney charging the case. The city's prosecuting attorney could not be reached Friday.

According to court records in the case, a judge gave Tuaolo a domestic abuse-related no-contact order with the victim. Tuaolo was released on $2,000 bail Monday."

John Holler of the "Viking Update" asks a question related to the case: "If the case goes to trial, it will be interesting to see how the judicial process views a case of same-sex domestic violence. Since there aren’t many high-profile same-sex domestic assault cases on the record, this could serve as something of a landmark case."

A court hearing for Tuaolo's case has been scheduled for August.

Comments

1. Build him up--tear him down...its the media.

Posted by: Bob | Jun 27, 2010 4:56:35 PM

2. Well, considering that about 28% of all relationships in the united states are abusive (including gay and lesbian relationships, in which domestic violence occurs at the same rate)...it's not that far fetched.

And yes, hopefully this will draw attention to the reality of domestic violence in same sex relationships...which is way too common.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 27, 2010 5:09:31 PM

3. I've met Esera a while back shortly after he came out. He was a very sweet and approachable man. I hope things work out for the best for him.

Posted by: Alfredo | Jun 27, 2010 5:30:26 PM

4. It's too bad there has to be a "landmark" case for same-sex domestic violence. But as Tank points out, it's far too common and needs to be made more visible.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 27, 2010 5:40:40 PM

5. Bob: Yes, cause him beating up on someone is the media's fault? Kindly remove ur head from ur asparagus please.

Posted by: b | Jun 27, 2010 5:54:07 PM

6. Ramsey County sheriff's office spokeswoman Holli Drinkwine sounds like my kind of woman.

Posted by: voet | Jun 27, 2010 6:20:33 PM

7. I have to agree with Alfredo. When I met Esera, he seemed to be a very nice man. His partner was also very nice and gorgeous to boot. Of course, you never know what is happening in private. I just hope everything works out for the best, whatever that may be.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 27, 2010 7:17:31 PM

8. Football players get a life time of training to be aggressive and violent. We shouldn't be surprised when they are.

It's a shame every arrest has to make it into the media. An arrest doesn't even mean a person will be charged with a crime, let alone that they are guilty of one.

That said, I agree with Tank that violence in gay relationships is an epidemic. Much of it, I suspect, is related to alcohol and drugs.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | Jun 27, 2010 7:24:33 PM

9. Not only is it way too common, but it's undereported by police and victims for several factors, including, most prominently, rampant homophobia. The police don't have a good track record with the gay community, and harassment and ignoring (by the police) crimes perpetrated against lgbt'ers discourages victims from coming forward and getting the help that they need. Additionally, most domestic violence programs in the u.s. are unequipped to deal with same sex DV in any effective way, and are also pretty unconcerned with that fact (incomptence and waste are big problems in ngo/nonprofitland). When police get same sex dv calls, many have no training to deal with that scenario (many police officers have no domestic violence training at all, but specifically, no same sex DV training...plus many are already homophobic)...and just log it as assault, friends having a disagreement rather than the pattern of abusive/controlling behaviors--in the context of a relationship-- that it is. Many don't do anything at all. It's not a good situation.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 27, 2010 7:25:54 PM

10. and justice, though drugs and alcohol can intensify the severity of the abuse, DV isn't caused by substance abuse--for it occurs when they're sober, too. It's about abusers wanting their partners to do exactly what they want them to.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 27, 2010 7:37:49 PM

11. further, there are plenty of really aggressive people who don't beat up cops when they pull them over for speeding, or slap around coworkers...seems selective, don't you think?

Posted by: TANK | Jun 27, 2010 7:39:55 PM

12. Are there statistics about this epidemic in the gay community of domestic abuse? I don't doubt many cases go unreported, but the way you two are posting these 'facts', makes it seem 4 out of 5 same sex couples are involved in abuse.

Posted by: B | Jun 27, 2010 10:09:51 PM

13. Actually, blood belching cunt...or ignoramus if you prefer, the statistics I presented indicate that one in four lgbt relationships is abusive. And yes, there are statistics on DV in same sex relationships. Google magic!

Posted by: TANK | Jun 27, 2010 10:22:39 PM

14. First off, I have to say my thoughts go out to each of the people involved. Remember please that Esera is or was raising children with his partner. Secondly, I'm not sure what is going on in the life of Esera, but I do know that I had him as a friend on facebook and he is no longer on facebook. His homepage is no longer up and running so whatever is going on I'm sure he is under alot of stress at the moment. I had been a fan of Esera since before he came out, I probably noticed him because I do tend to have a thing for Asian Men and Pacific Islanders. I have never met Esera but he always seemed like one off the nicest people you could ever meet. I sincerely wish him the best. I personally will hold back my judgement on him and what may have happened until I hear further details..

Posted by: Scoobie | Jun 27, 2010 11:39:55 PM

15. This is something I'll never understand.

If there is one thing my mother taught us kids growing up, it was this: Never let ANYBODY put his hands on you. Now I understand not everybody was raised by my momma. But it's something I've been hard-wired and that has been drummed into me from day one that I'll never forget: Never let ANYBODY put his hands on you. And for the life of me, and I will READILY admit, the whole domestic violence thing for me is like someone trying to communicate to me from the planet Neptune. I hear what you're saying but I have no idea what you're talking about.

I've seen this man on TV. He's a big guy. But I swear on everything that is good and positive on Earth if he EVER hit me I would not rest until I personally put him six feet under. That may be wrong. And that may make me a murderer. But I would fall asleep like a baby every night in my jail cell knowing that I made sure that man never put his hands in violence on anybody else.

Posted by: Stephen | Jun 27, 2010 11:48:31 PM

16. I would like to point out that, yes, domestic violence in horrible, unacceptable and under-reported but false charges of domestic violence are also a reality.

We know NOTHING about this case. We don't even know if the accusations being made, THAT WE HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD YET, are true and accurate or not yet people have already rushed here, in mass, with pitchforks and torches ready to haul Mr. Taualo off to the gallows.

I appreciate the general discussion about domestic violence, but I think it is highly inappropriate to make judgments about this particular incident until more is known.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 28, 2010 8:52:21 AM

17. Maybe they broke up and ex wants more money....

Posted by: alan brickman | Jun 28, 2010 9:39:01 AM

18. I wonder if there is a higher rate of domestic violence between partners if one or both or them is a sporto. It seems that many sports, especially American football, encourage violence. Just look at what became of O.J. Simpson after retiring from the sport!

Posted by: Charles | Jun 28, 2010 9:40:27 AM

19. Sorry, Tank. But statistics show that in the majority of domestic violence cases, drugs and/or alcohol feature prominently.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 28, 2010 2:02:18 PM

20. that's a lie,"jamal", that perpetuates DV across this country. I actually don't think you have the cognitive facility to lie in light of your previous posts, so I think it's just bullshit. The majority of domestic violence cases do not feature alcohol or drugs, many abusers are not addicted to drugs or alcohol, and when some abusers who do abuse substance are sober, they still abuse their partners. As I said, alcohol and drugs can only serve to intensify an abusive episode between intimate partners.

But that's bullshit (no concern for the truth; just your own narrative) like the victim blaming and ready-made excuses for the abuser going on throughout this comment section. People like you are in the way of comprehensive solutions to the problems of domestic violence in the u.s. (problems that cost industry in this country BILLIONS of dollars each year). Also, you've never contributed anything worth reading.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 28, 2010 2:15:13 PM

21. Very thought provoking. . And obvious now that you’ve done it. Seems like too bad there has to be a "landmark" case for same-sex domestic violence

Posted by: dunks shoes | Aug 13, 2010 5:24:05 AM

22. thanks very much for your post, it is indeed wonderful to read your article,I like it very much.

Posted by: air jordan 2011 | Jun 24, 2011 9:18:15 PM

23. i am so lucky here , it is worth

Posted by: oilpaintings | Jul 4, 2011 11:33:00 PM

24. You gave great points here. I did some research on the subject and have found nearly all people agree with your blog.

Posted by: Oil Painting Reproductions | Dec 18, 2011 10:17:31 PM