Alexi Giannoulias | Illinois | Mark Kirk | Mike Rogers | News

IL GOP Senate Candidate Mark Kirk is Gay and a Hypocrite, Says 'Outrage' Blogger

Kirk

Mike Rogers, the blogger behind Blogactive who was featured prominently in the Kirby Dick documentary 'Outrage' for his role in outing closeted hypocritical politicians, has found a new target, Illinois Republican congressman Mark Kirk, whose "no" vote on the recent "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal compromise is one hypocritical step too many in the wrong direction.

It's not as if Kirk's sexuality has not been discussed up to this point. Kirk is running against Democrat Alexi Giannoulias in the Illinois senate race for Barack Obama's old seat. In the Republican primary in December, Kirk was the target of a radio ad from his primary opponent Andy Martin which alleged that he had a "solid rumor" that Kirk is gay.

Responding to that ad, Kirk publicly denied he is gay in early January — video HERE.

Rogers digs a bit deeper and brings out a few additional items, saying that Kirk basically outed himself to Rogers at a party, expressing interest in another gentleman who was there:

Within hours of the DADT repeal vote I was contacted by two people who knew Kirk from his college days.

"In law school in DC everyone knew Mark was gay," the first source told me. I explained that the information was intriguing, it would not be enough to go on. He continued, "But I had sex with him a number of times." Well, now we're onto something I thought. "Could someone verify for me that you knew Kirk and went to school with him?" I asked. "Yes" was the swift reply. "Could you recall personal details about Kirk that others may not know?" "Yes," he said.

And he did.

The next source claimed to have gone to undergraduate school with Kirk. I asked for proof that he and Kirk were in school together and once that was shared with me, I met with the source. The source introduced me to a man whom had also been friends with Kirk college. They both shared with me their interactions with Kirk, including one sexual in nature. The source who claimed to have sex with Kirk described personal details about the House, um, er, "member." The description was the same as the first source.

And in DC, Kirk wasn't all THAT closeted. You see Mark Kirk told me he was gay. Before I had BlogActive, I had a life in Washington. As a fundraiser I raised major gifts from $5,000 to over $1,000,000... You don't do that kind of work at a keyboard, you do it at events with attended by people with money. The movers and shakers and their friends.

It was early 2004 when I was at a social gathering on Capitol Hill. I'm guessing there were 35-40 people present, including the guy who brought me as his guest. While the party was no means a "gay" party, I'd guess that of the men at least 75% were overtly gay. The others present were either straight men or their women friends.

It was at that party that I met Mark Kirk. I was introduced to him by the person I came with and at the time did not realize he was a member of the House. As my friend walked away, Kirk asked me if the man who introduced us was "single or attached." When I said that he had a partner Kirk replied disappointingly, "oh, well." At the end of that interaction I walked away and didn't think much of it at the time.

Why did Rogers choose to go after Kirk now? "Now, for the first time in his congressional career, Mark Kirk really had the chance to stand up and do what is right with the power of a vote. When I heard that five GOPers voted to lift the Don't Ask Don't Tell ban I instinctively though Kirk would be one of them."

Read Rogers' whole post here.

In related news, Kirk was recently caught in a lie about an award he had received from the U.S. military

"The Republican candidate for President Obama's old Senate seat inaccurately claimed to have received the U.S. Navy's Intelligence Officer of the Year award for service during NATO's conflict with Serbia in the late 1990s. Rep. Mark Kirk, a Navy reservist elected to Congress in 2001, acknowledged the error in his official biography after The Washington Post began looking into whether he had received the prestigious award, which is given by top Navy officials to a single individual annually. The Post's inquiries were sparked by complaints from a representative of state Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, Kirk's Democratic opponent in the Illinois Senate race."

Kirk, in the past has been lauded by the Human Rights Campaign as a sort of gay-friendly Republican, receiving a 75% rating from them in their latest report. However, folllowing Kirk's vote on DADT on Friday, HRC went ahead and endorsed his opponent, Democrat Alexi Giannoulias.

Giannoulias  Said HRC President Joe Solmonese: "Alexi Giannoulias is the progressive leader Illinois needs," said HRC President Joe Solmonese. "He will be a strong advocate in the U.S. Senate to ensure that all of his constituents are accepted and welcomed as part of the American family."

You may recall that Towleroad ran a video interview with Giannoulias in which Corey Johnson asked Giannoulias if he felt that a candidate's sexuality is fair game.

Said Giannoulias: "Here's someone who has said he is against the repeal of DADT, is against the repeal of DOMA, and he doesn't believe in same-sex marriage and I just believe that flies in the face of what our important issues are...it doesn't make sense to me.

Watch our interview with Giannoulias here.

Comments

1. Of course Kirk is gay!!!
    I've been a big Mary for decades and he out-does my gay-face by a mile! LOL

Posted by: Paul | Jun 1, 2010 2:22:54 PM

2. What a load of crap. Mike Rogers will do or say anything to be relevant.

I wish Mark Kirk was gay, but he's not. I don't even like him, but compared to the mob's banker, Alexi Giannoulias, he is a dream.

Giannoulias and his family raided their bank for tens of millions of dollars and are now seeking taxpayer bailouts. He lost more than $85 million for families saving for their children's college tuition in the Bright Start program. He also used those funds to buy an SUV in spite of the fact that the state of Illinois has tons of vehicles.

Alexi Giannoulias may be cute and a Democrat, but give me Mark Kirk any day.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jun 1, 2010 2:26:24 PM

3. Hypocrisy abounds in the GOP...

Now, even Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter's joining the anti-gay army.

She's involved in Florida's ANTI-gay adoption movement...

Check the story at

Posted by: www.rumorrat.com | Jun 1, 2010 2:27:13 PM

4. because it's bigger than "that," huh lincolnlounger? LMAO! I don't get why you creatures call yourselves gay republicans...just drop the gay part. You're republicans who happen to be gay...there's no such thing as a "gay republican".

Posted by: TANK | Jun 1, 2010 2:29:24 PM

5. I hope every Republican hypocrite is quaking in their boots....be afraid, be very afraid. You may think you're not accountable, but you are.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 1, 2010 2:29:54 PM

6. shure has a purty mouth ....

Posted by: jerry | Jun 1, 2010 2:31:57 PM

7. nonono, we don't want him. He's got scary eyes, they remind me of one of those 'Chucky' puppets.

Posted by: hugo | Jun 1, 2010 2:42:18 PM

8. It would be interesting if it's true; as a Republican, a gay Mark Kirk won't get the Sarah Palin fundraising/attention-getting buzz-machine lift that could tip the balance in this (rather close!) race.

In any case, personally, gay or not, I'd never vote for him; I live in Chicago, so he'd never stand a chance here, anyway; the Republican base is way out in the suburbs and downstate (besides, I'm college-edumacated and high-income and gay and out and Black, and couldn't possibly get any 'blue'-er if I smeared glossy-paint all over myself...!)...

It's going to be curious to see which and how the 'national' organizations try to position and re-position themselves on this guy...

Posted by: Terrance | Jun 1, 2010 2:49:08 PM

9. out the bastard!

Posted by: David Tijerina | Jun 1, 2010 2:52:16 PM

10. this is a case where I totally agree with outing someone without his consent. when someone actively works against gay rights, and they ware gay themselves, they totally have to be called out on it.

puts the ball back in his, er, um, court now.

Posted by: casey | Jun 1, 2010 2:55:09 PM

11. How predictable to read LincolnLounger bashing another equality-supporting Dem in favor of an anti-equality Republican. This of course is the same crowd that brought us Scott Brown and Chris Christie and Bob McDonnell and Linda Lingle, etc., and none of them has quite worked out as promised, have they?

Fortunately, most of us aren't listening and would prefer to leave you to stew in your self-loathing alone.

Posted by: Patric | Jun 1, 2010 2:57:39 PM

12. Go Giannoulias!!!

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 1, 2010 3:10:29 PM

13. Out the mother fucker!

Posted by: ronnykmarshall | Jun 1, 2010 3:15:30 PM

14. He should be outed, though neither candidate is particularly appealing.

Posted by: anon | Jun 1, 2010 3:36:43 PM

15. Closeted+Republican=Bad Candidate for Us.

Maybe he should call up Roy Ashburn and learn how being out (or outed) can free you from the cowardly confines of the Republican closet towards a conscience? You'll feel better about yourself, Mark, really you will.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 1, 2010 4:15:33 PM

16. No one seems to be too upset over allegedly closeted Lyndsey Graham & Mitch McConnell. Why not let Kirk be elected? Why are the pitchforks out for him?

Posted by: smallhandff | Jun 1, 2010 5:57:16 PM

17. Did they vote against DADT?

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 1, 2010 7:11:38 PM

18. ANOTHER example of HRC having abso-fucking-lutely NO credibility.

They actually endorsed a Republican with a 75% record of supporting gay issues over a Democrat that supports 100% of our issues INCLUDING marriage equality.

Honest to god, why does ANYONE support HRC anymore?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 1, 2010 8:13:55 PM

19. "No one seems to be too upset over allegedly closeted Lyndsey Graham & Mitch McConnell. Why not let Kirk be elected? Why are the pitchforks out for him?"

The more appropriate question would be why elect Kirk? Even if he were out of the closet, unless he's voting for gay rights, why would any gay person who cares about equality support him when his opponent would be better for us? Lyndsey Graham was outed long ago, and Mitch McConnell's record speaks for itself--no self-respecting gay person would support them either.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 1, 2010 8:20:43 PM

20. I am a progressive, gay democrat. Mark Kirk is my congressman. The rumors that he is gay are scurrilous. I will vote for Giannoulias, I have contributed to his campaign, and I am the host of two of his up-coming fundraisers. But I know Mark Kirk. Mark Kirk is my neighbor. I am saddened by his right-ward tilt in this campaign. But Mark Kirk is not gay. All of you who don't know him: shut the f-ing up! It does us no good.

Posted by: Greg | Jun 1, 2010 9:16:25 PM

21. how come all the repuks are all closet cases
    and do more harm than they can imagine.they all hate themselves. if they all came out of the closet and did the right we would have equal rights.i never thought outing people was a good idea but people who do deliberate harm deserve what they get. right along with mary chaney, who doesn't see anything wrong backing people who oppose
    gay adoption. she is able to afford the best of everything to obtain her family.

Posted by: walter | Jun 1, 2010 10:52:45 PM

22. Next you'll be telling everyone that you're not gay either, greg. Blah blah blah, LOOK AT THAT GAPING GAYFACE!

Posted by: TANK | Jun 1, 2010 11:49:22 PM

23. Does this mean we should vote for the crooked banker who screwed over the little man????

Posted by: Jim | Jun 2, 2010 12:29:59 AM

24. I heard rumors Anderson Cooper might be gay too. Can we get some people who slept with him to describe his member?

Posted by: Doug | Jun 2, 2010 12:31:14 AM

25. This must be the reason this blog wast best of 2008!!!

Posted by: Richard | Jun 2, 2010 12:32:07 AM