IL GOP Senate Candidate Mark Kirk is Gay and a Hypocrite, Says ‘Outrage’ Blogger

Kirk

Mike Rogers, the blogger behind Blogactive who was featured prominently in the Kirby Dick documentary 'Outrage' for his role in outing closeted hypocritical politicians, has found a new target, Illinois Republican congressman Mark Kirk, whose "no" vote on the recent "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal compromise is one hypocritical step too many in the wrong direction.

It's not as if Kirk's sexuality has not been discussed up to this point. Kirk is running against Democrat Alexi Giannoulias in the Illinois senate race for Barack Obama's old seat. In the Republican primary in December, Kirk was the target of a radio ad from his primary opponent Andy Martin which alleged that he had a "solid rumor" that Kirk is gay.

Responding to that ad, Kirk publicly denied he is gay in early January — video HERE.

Rogers digs a bit deeper and brings out a few additional items, saying that Kirk basically outed himself to Rogers at a party, expressing interest in another gentleman who was there:

Within hours of the DADT repeal vote I was contacted by two people who knew Kirk from his college days.

"In law school in DC everyone knew Mark was gay," the first source told me. I explained that the information was intriguing, it would not be enough to go on. He continued, "But I had sex with him a number of times." Well, now we're onto something I thought. "Could someone verify for me that you knew Kirk and went to school with him?" I asked. "Yes" was the swift reply. "Could you recall personal details about Kirk that others may not know?" "Yes," he said.

And he did.

The next source claimed to have gone to undergraduate school with Kirk. I asked for proof that he and Kirk were in school together and once that was shared with me, I met with the source. The source introduced me to a man whom had also been friends with Kirk college. They both shared with me their interactions with Kirk, including one sexual in nature. The source who claimed to have sex with Kirk described personal details about the House, um, er, "member." The description was the same as the first source.

And in DC, Kirk wasn't all THAT closeted. You see Mark Kirk told me he was gay. Before I had BlogActive, I had a life in Washington. As a fundraiser I raised major gifts from $5,000 to over $1,000,000… You don't do that kind of work at a keyboard, you do it at events with attended by people with money. The movers and shakers and their friends.

It was early 2004 when I was at a social gathering on Capitol Hill. I'm guessing there were 35-40 people present, including the guy who brought me as his guest. While the party was no means a "gay" party, I'd guess that of the men at least 75% were overtly gay. The others present were either straight men or their women friends.

It was at that party that I met Mark Kirk. I was introduced to him by the person I came with and at the time did not realize he was a member of the House. As my friend walked away, Kirk asked me if the man who introduced us was "single or attached." When I said that he had a partner Kirk replied disappointingly, "oh, well." At the end of that interaction I walked away and didn't think much of it at the time.

Why did Rogers choose to go after Kirk now? "Now, for the first time in his congressional career, Mark Kirk really had the chance to stand up and do what is right with the power of a vote. When I heard that five GOPers voted to lift the Don't Ask Don't Tell ban I instinctively though Kirk would be one of them."

Read Rogers' whole post here.

In related news, Kirk was recently caught in a lie about an award he had received from the U.S. military

"The Republican candidate for President Obama's old Senate seat inaccurately claimed to have received the U.S. Navy's Intelligence Officer of the Year award for service during NATO's conflict with Serbia in the late 1990s.

Rep. Mark Kirk, a Navy reservist elected to Congress in 2001, acknowledged the error in his official biography after The Washington Post began looking into whether he had received the prestigious award, which is given by top Navy officials to a single individual annually. The Post's inquiries were sparked by complaints from a representative of state Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, Kirk's Democratic opponent in the Illinois Senate race."

Kirk, in the past has been lauded by the Human Rights Campaign as a sort of gay-friendly Republican, receiving a 75% rating from them in their latest report. However, folllowing Kirk's vote on DADT on Friday, HRC went ahead and endorsed his opponent, Democrat Alexi Giannoulias.

Giannoulias  Said HRC President Joe Solmonese: "Alexi Giannoulias is the progressive leader Illinois needs," said HRC President Joe Solmonese. "He will be a strong advocate in the U.S. Senate to ensure that all of his constituents are accepted and welcomed as part of the American family."

You may recall that Towleroad ran a video interview with Giannoulias in which Corey Johnson asked Giannoulias if he felt that a candidate's sexuality is fair game.

Said Giannoulias: "Here's someone who has said he is against the repeal of DADT, is against the repeal of DOMA, and he doesn't believe in same-sex marriage and I just believe that flies in the face of what our important issues are…it doesn't make sense to me.

Watch our interview with Giannoulias here.

Comments

1. Paul says

Of course Kirk is gay!!!
    I’ve been a big Mary for decades and he out-does my gay-face by a mile! LOL

2. LincolnLounger says

What a load of crap. Mike Rogers will do or say anything to be relevant.

I wish Mark Kirk was gay, but he’s not. I don’t even like him, but compared to the mob’s banker, Alexi Giannoulias, he is a dream.

Giannoulias and his family raided their bank for tens of millions of dollars and are now seeking taxpayer bailouts. He lost more than $85 million for families saving for their children’s college tuition in the Bright Start program. He also used those funds to buy an SUV in spite of the fact that the state of Illinois has tons of vehicles.

Alexi Giannoulias may be cute and a Democrat, but give me Mark Kirk any day.

3. TANK says

because it’s bigger than “that,” huh lincolnlounger? LMAO! I don’t get why you creatures call yourselves gay republicans…just drop the gay part. You’re republicans who happen to be gay…there’s no such thing as a “gay republican”.

4. Steve says

I hope every Republican hypocrite is quaking in their boots….be afraid, be very afraid. You may think you’re not accountable, but you are.

5. hugo says

nonono, we don’t want him. He’s got scary eyes, they remind me of one of those ‘Chucky’ puppets.

6. Terrance says

It would be interesting if it’s true; as a Republican, a gay Mark Kirk won’t get the Sarah Palin fundraising/attention-getting buzz-machine lift that could tip the balance in this (rather close!) race.

In any case, personally, gay or not, I’d never vote for him; I live in Chicago, so he’d never stand a chance here, anyway; the Republican base is way out in the suburbs and downstate (besides, I’m college-edumacated and high-income and gay and out and Black, and couldn’t possibly get any ‘blue’-er if I smeared glossy-paint all over myself…!)…

It’s going to be curious to see which and how the ‘national’ organizations try to position and re-position themselves on this guy…

7. says

this is a case where I totally agree with outing someone without his consent. when someone actively works against gay rights, and they ware gay themselves, they totally have to be called out on it.

puts the ball back in his, er, um, court now.

8. Patric says

How predictable to read LincolnLounger bashing another equality-supporting Dem in favor of an anti-equality Republican. This of course is the same crowd that brought us Scott Brown and Chris Christie and Bob McDonnell and Linda Lingle, etc., and none of them has quite worked out as promised, have they?

Fortunately, most of us aren’t listening and would prefer to leave you to stew in your self-loathing alone.

9. says

Closeted+Republican=Bad Candidate for Us.

Maybe he should call up Roy Ashburn and learn how being out (or outed) can free you from the cowardly confines of the Republican closet towards a conscience? You’ll feel better about yourself, Mark, really you will.

10. smallhandff says

11. TampaZeke says

ANOTHER example of HRC having abso-fucking-lutely NO credibility.

They actually endorsed a Republican with a 75% record of supporting gay issues over a Democrat that supports 100% of our issues INCLUDING marriage equality.

Honest to god, why does ANYONE support HRC anymore?

12. says

“No one seems to be too upset over allegedly closeted Lyndsey Graham & Mitch McConnell. Why not let Kirk be elected? Why are the pitchforks out for him?”

The more appropriate question would be why elect Kirk? Even if he were out of the closet, unless he’s voting for gay rights, why would any gay person who cares about equality support him when his opponent would be better for us? Lyndsey Graham was outed long ago, and Mitch McConnell’s record speaks for itself–no self-respecting gay person would support them either.

13. Greg says

I am a progressive, gay democrat. Mark Kirk is my congressman. The rumors that he is gay are scurrilous. I will vote for Giannoulias, I have contributed to his campaign, and I am the host of two of his up-coming fundraisers. But I know Mark Kirk. Mark Kirk is my neighbor. I am saddened by his right-ward tilt in this campaign. But Mark Kirk is not gay. All of you who don’t know him: shut the f-ing up! It does us no good.

14. walter says

how come all the repuks are all closet cases
    and do more harm than they can imagine.they all hate themselves. if they all came out of the closet and did the right we would have equal rights.i never thought outing people was a good idea but people who do deliberate harm deserve what they get. right along with mary chaney, who doesn’t see anything wrong backing people who oppose
    gay adoption. she is able to afford the best of everything to obtain her family.

15. TANK says

Next you’ll be telling everyone that you’re not gay either, greg. Blah blah blah, LOOK AT THAT GAPING GAYFACE!

16. Jim says

Does this mean we should vote for the crooked banker who screwed over the little man????

17. Doug says

I heard rumors Anderson Cooper might be gay too. Can we get some people who slept with him to describe his member?

18. ty says

ALL closet cases need to be outed, I am tired of doing all the dirty work while they get to live the dream life in the suburbs. And all you queens knowingly sleeping with these A-holes are contributing to this “sickness”

19. MARKD says

thanks mr. rogers (both) and jerry, lol. I see a liar who will get (some of) what he deserves on election day.

20. ChrisM says

Man, what some people will do to discredit a decorated war veteran – oh that’s right, he lied about that too.

21. ChrisM says

I just love people who “KNOW” that someone is or isn’t gay because, well they are neighbor and they mow their grass and they wave when they take out the trash – that means exactly jack! Nobody can be sure if someone is or isn’t anything. People are capable of doing (or being) lots of things about which their friends, family and/or neighbors know exactly nothing. Never be stupid enough to assume that you know another person well enough to speak for them or even to speak too knowingly about them – it tends to make you look foolish when you’re proven wrong. Chicago got screwed on the candidates this time around but that isn’t really too unusual for Chicago – so be it. And, although I’m a fan of Mike Rogers and BlogActive I have to admit that this is among his weakest outings.