Jake Shears | News | Scissor Sisters

BigGayDeal.com

'The Advocate' Beefcakes Up with Jake Shears

Jakeshears

The Advocate found a way to get some skin on its August cover, following Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears on his workout.

Story's not out yet but there are two more preview shots of Shears here.

The Scissor Sisters' new album Night Work is out this week.

Shears recently spoke about Night Work with The Guardian

"While in Berlin, he came up with an entirely new concept for the album, based around the music that predominated in early 80s clubland, and, in Britain at least, the charts. 1984 was the year when the top 40 went howlingly, unrepentantly gay in a way never seen before or since: the big new artists were Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Bronski Beat; the hot new indie band was the Smiths; an array of high-energy records – Where Is My Man? (sung by, of all people, Eartha Kitt), So Many Men, So Little Time, I Need a Man, It's Raining Men, Searchin' (I Gotta Find a Man), You Think You're a Man – shifted vast quantities. 'That music worked universally. I think the trick is that sexuality, whether it's gay sexuality or not, is a universal thing. I mean, everyone gets horny. I don't think it really matters what kind of sex is being sung about because I think it still applies to everyone. It's as if the party kind of stopped, and it's no coincidence that happened hand in hand with AIDS. It set back the gay rights movement in a major way. I think we're just moving past this 25-year setback. It placed a big judgment call on [the gay club scene]. Suddenly, there was a big, 'Oh, you had it coming.' I just started wondering where music was headed, where dance music would have headed, where all that would have gone. And Night Work is my hypothesis.'"

Comments

1. I hate Jake Shears, SO MUCH. But I kinda liked his article. I would still punch him for infinity if I could.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 30, 2010 9:18:54 AM

2. How could you "hate" Jake Shears!!?? He is not only completely sexy and gorgeous, but he is so about advancing gay people and many gay interests in a fun and entertaining way and his band (and especially the delightful Anamatronic!). Go and see them live and you will understand - they are amaaaazing live. Americans so don't get them. Sorry for you

Posted by: Brad in Sydney | Jun 30, 2010 9:56:31 AM

3. surely he'll get an another 100 CD's sold with htis cover in the US.

Posted by: chris | Jun 30, 2010 10:02:04 AM

4. I find it amusing that Towleroad uses the term "beefcake" -- Jake Shears has the size 'n' shape of TWINK!!! Though I suppose ageists would point out that he's too old for that status. =) [For the record, I enjoy the flavors of both...]

Posted by: Marty | Jun 30, 2010 10:24:07 AM

5. Not much of a fan of all their music, but def appreciate Jake and the Scissors. I will buy this CD like the others to support them. Jake is also right with his assessment on what happened with the music around 1984 and how it did seem it died almost. It's like we went back underground looking for a life line.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Jun 30, 2010 10:43:39 AM

6. I moved to San Francisco in 1982 at the age of 21. Restores some of my faith to see a young pretty one with a sense of history.

Posted by: freddie | Jun 30, 2010 11:02:32 AM

7. "...entirely new concept for the album." wot? EVERYONE is doing early 80s. Confessions was when? The SS get an awful lot of press for not being that good.

Posted by: JH | Jun 30, 2010 11:06:44 AM

8. Wow, delicious photo! Love the SS.

Posted by: Seamus | Jun 30, 2010 11:15:14 AM

9. I love Jake and the Scissor Sisters, and applaud what they do, but this Advocate cover is just awful. Jake is a sexy man, but this looks so amateur.

Posted by: critifur | Jun 30, 2010 11:23:15 AM

10. This is about the fourth magazine cover (the most recent issue of "Tetu" here in France is probably the raciest of 'em all) in the last month where Jake has lost his shirt for the photographer. I guess if it sells a few CDs...

Posted by: michael | Jun 30, 2010 11:38:08 AM

11. I can't decide whether I should spend my magazine money on Men's Health or the Advocate this month. Standing around in Barnes & Nobles staring at both is not appropriate for a person of my stature in the community.

Posted by: Ted | Jun 30, 2010 1:22:03 PM

12. I usually find him attractive, but those pictures (the cover and especially one of the others) are not flattering. And his assertion that AIDS set back gay rights by 25 years is more than a bit dubious; most would argue that it provided visibility and made a lot of passive people pissed off enough to demand their rights.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 30, 2010 2:12:57 PM

13. And if Jake Shears were haterosexual all the comments would be positive. Anyway, Jake looks great. Buy the Night Work CD.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 30, 2010 2:49:36 PM

14. @FENROX: Jake Shears reads towleroad, and I have a feeling he will see your post about wanting to punch him. I say that because Jake once sent me an email in response to one of several particularly nasty comments I had posted here about how much I hated the Scissor Sisters. Jake could have taken me to task and been as unkind to me as I had been to him. Instead, his email was sweet and respectful. He basically said "I totally understand that my band's music might not appeal to you, and that's okay, but please remember that we are people, and we do read press about our band." Considering the unkind things I had written about him and his band, Jake's message revealed him to be an intelligent, sensitive and forgiving member of our community.

We don't all have to like their music, but it should be obvious that Scissor Sisters are an asset to the GLBT community. I think Jake deserves better than to have other queer folk posting on the internet about how much they want to cause him bodily harm.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 30, 2010 3:03:12 PM

15. Night Work is beyond terrifc and Jake is as smart as he is sexy. You don't get better than that in my opinion!

Posted by: Mark in Austin TX | Jun 30, 2010 5:17:39 PM

16. Peterparker is right, and it's not just Jake. Everyone in the band is nice. Though I still feel stupid because when I first saw Ana Matronic perform at Trannyshack in SF, my ex and I debated for hours about whether she was male or female. I was wrong.

Then SS performed there, on a stage about the size of my dining room table. So did Gaga. Oh how I miss Trannyshack.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 30, 2010 7:18:02 PM

17. If it involves famous people, then PeterParker has met them, dated them, fucked them, or knows someone who has.

Posted by: Kyle | Jul 1, 2010 12:29:05 AM

18. I think Jake looks pretty hot on the cover but I don't understand why they couldn't have found a better photographer and location. I wonder what the rest of the band thinks about how much Jake is promoted as beefcake though. And I also wonder why Del Marquis doesn't ever get to take his shirt off and appear in magazine shoots :-P

Have to agree with Paul R. AIDS set a lot of things back but gay rights was not one of them. In fact it briefly almost united a community across the western world and made people fight for their rights and their lives.

Posted by: Chunks | Jul 1, 2010 12:53:07 AM

19. @KYLE: I have never claimed to have dated or fucked anyone famous.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 1, 2010 4:52:04 AM

20. I listened to an advanced copy of this album and I can say it's 100x better than Ta-Dah. You won't be disappointed!

Posted by: Ty | Jul 1, 2010 6:23:25 AM

21. Beefcake? Try "pasty-white hipster from the LES."

PeterParker picked a life. Say that fast 500 times.

Posted by: Shane | Jul 1, 2010 10:10:30 AM

22. What's up with the Advocate and Out? I thought they were no longer separate magazines and would be mailed together? I seem to still get Out but not Advocate?

Posted by: Chris | Jul 1, 2010 11:18:47 AM