Crime | Gay Pride | San Francisco

BigGayDeal.com

Three People Wounded In 'Pink Saturday' Shooting

Castro
The shooting happened during San Francisco's "Pink Saturday" festivities in The Castro last night. What a way for some loony to ruin San Francisco's 40th anniversary Pride celebrations.

The Bay City News reports:

One man sustained life-threatening injuries and two others were wounded in a shooting in the Castro late last night during Pink Saturday celebrations, a San Francisco police spokesman said. Police responded to reports of multiple gunshots fired at Market and Castro streets about 11:30 p.m., San Francisco police Officer Samson Chan said.

Officers took the suspect, a 19-year-old male, into custody and recovered the handgun allegedly used in the shooting. The most-seriously injured victim, a 19-year-old male, was shot in the torso and transported to a local hospital, he said.

Also injured were a 19-year-old female and a 27-year-old male, who were each shot in the leg. They were transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries, Chan said. The investigation is ongoing and police are still on the scene collecting information, Chan said.

The local Fox affiliate is reporting that the shooting reportedly occurred in front of The Cafe.

There's some raw video of The Castro post-shooting here.

Update: Sadly, the 19-year victim has succumbed to his wounds.

Comments

1. How long do you think it will take the cops to NOT classify this as a hate crime?

Posted by: Roscoe | Jun 27, 2010 10:29:00 AM

2. This used to be a sweet, happy, small neighborhood event. Last night was nothing like that. The croud was largly mixed, very young, barfing, drunk and lame. Yeah- that was not 'Lamé'... hell no. Quite the opposite. Pretty sad. Best wishes to the wounded. PS- Report lists 'The Cafe' but it seems to have been outside Pottery Barn (which is already rumored to be leaving the negborhood).

Posted by: pickles | Jun 27, 2010 10:37:56 AM

3. I live two blocks from where this happened and was out walking my dog at 11:30.... Fortunately, the opposite direction. I waiting as late as I could to walk her because it was so crazy outside our building; teens drinking and screaming, bottles broken everywhere.... I am so glad I stayed home all evening. I guarantee that most of them won't be showing their pride today for anything. Just another excuse to get drunk.
    I know the police are limited with their resources but I saw so many underage people drinking and buying booze on the streets.
    Thanks, Pickles and my best too to the wounded.

Posted by: Will | Jun 27, 2010 11:01:16 AM

4. Roscoe:

Just a little bit longer than it takes you to automatically assume that it IS a hate crime, apparently.

Seriously, nothing in the article suggests that the shooter didn't belong to the LGBT community himself.

Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's coming to get me...

Posted by: Jack | Jun 27, 2010 11:21:01 AM

5. This shooting hasn't been classified as a hate crime yet but the article inspires another idea.

Take video and photographic evidence from every recent, confirmed, anti-gay violent hate crime and play it/show it every time some conservative group claims they are the victims of gay violence.

Posted by: Don | Jun 27, 2010 11:26:04 AM

6. You get what you deserve.

Pride these days is nothing more than drunken revelry and that's nothing to be proud of. We've come to enjoy our victimization so much that we allow companies like Clear Channel to sponsor our Pride events while funneling the cash back to the homophobes. And then we even allow them to dictate to us who can be involved in our party! All in the name of "pride". Being a gay person these days is humiliating and shameful.

Good luck on your pride San Francisco. I'll not attend one again.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | Jun 27, 2010 12:02:43 PM

7. In local news and comments:

1) 11-SFPD officers were near the shooting resulting in the apprehension of the 19-year old with his gun.

2) Early report claims the shooter and unruly uncouth partiers were the usual "bridge and tunnel" suburban ilk who - as usual - ruin City celebrations whether it's the Bay to Breakers, Halloween, etc.

Posted by: Spritey | Jun 27, 2010 12:11:27 PM

8. I was there. Gay people were out numbered by large groups of thugs with their girl friends looking to get drunk and cause trouble. Another "just for the local gays" event bites the dust. This event just like halloween has been taken over by non-gays with cameras looking to gawk at the gays. Pink Saturday as we knew it died a few years ago. Its now straight people from the East Bay looking to get wasted and cause violence.

Posted by: Matt Smith | Jun 27, 2010 12:47:38 PM

9. You can blame this on the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence that force this "event" on the neighborhood each year. They don’t care about safety concerns of the residents and they are contemptuous of the police even being there.

Posted by: GGREEN | Jun 27, 2010 1:12:20 PM

10. Which sort of begs the question: if you do something spectacle-worthy in a public place, do you have the right to then refuse access to those coming to gawk at what you're throwing down?

Posted by: Quakerjono | Jun 27, 2010 1:20:43 PM

11. I agree with Matt. I wasn't there last night, but just walking by the Civic Center yesterday I saw a disproportionate number of skanky young women and their thuggish boyfriends looking for an excuse to drink in public. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. Has every formerly fun event created for and designed by SF locals been taken over by drunken douches and slutty chicks? It's weird and sad...

Posted by: Denis | Jun 27, 2010 1:25:49 PM

12. So which is worse? Gay people opening fire on gay people or straight people opening fire on gay people?

In the end it really doesn't matter if this turns out to be a hate crime or drunken gays with guns and something to prove. Three people were shot last night. One is fighting for his life. We shouldn't concern ourselves so much with whether it's a hate crime or not and instead put our focus on why it happened. Once we figure out why it happened we can take preventative measures so it never happens again. Period.

Posted by: Stephen | Jun 27, 2010 1:25:54 PM

13. This started out as an organic after though of the Dyke March years ago. It was fun small-ish neighborhood affair and everyone had a good time. Then the Sisters took over and it became this "event". And every step of the way it was their way or nothing and they put every bit of their political power behind making sure no one not even the police had input into Pink Saturday.

Posted by: GGREEN | Jun 27, 2010 1:37:49 PM

14. "One of three victims of a shooting in San Francisco's Castro District late Saturday night has died from his injuries, according to the medical examiner's office.

Stephen Powell, 19, was shot in the torso about 11:30 p.m. at Market and Castro streets during the city's "Pink Saturday" celebrations, police said."

Posted by: z0rt | Jun 27, 2010 2:02:58 PM

15. So what I'm gleaning from these comments is:

1) We can tell who the gays are and who the "invading straights" are just by looking at them. This is not noteworthy, because clearly one can tell someone's sexual orientation by their outward appearance (and I've seen gay guys hang out with skanky females who could easily be confused for girlfriends, so don't even go there).

2) If there were a large number of straight people there, it MUST have been them who did the shooting, because clearly a gay person would NEVER do anything like that.

Sometimes you people really just astonish me.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 27, 2010 2:33:25 PM

16. Jack, I dunno know what your specific agenda is, just that you have one and it's kind of shady. It's pretty well established that violence at assumed straight "adult" events is a regular feature...it's a relatively new phenom that it occurs at gay events which have been infiltrated by straight people.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 27, 2010 2:41:14 PM

17. I don't like thugs any more than anyone else, but I've seen plenty of blind drunk gay guys getting violent and aggressive at bar closing time. I don't mind straight people at gay pride events as long as they're there to have fun and not cause trouble. Isn't that kind of inclusion the whole reason we have pride week in the first place?

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 27, 2010 2:51:08 PM

18. A perfect opportunity for the NIMBYs and the always vigilant Ladies of the Temperance Movement to grouse and shut this one down, too. Having had their fun some decades ago, they bitch and moan about any of the three big fairs in the 'hood. Because, you know, it's always a surprise that it gets a noisy in the gay district of the second most densely populated city in the country.

And blaming the Sisters is such utter bullshit.

Posted by: Tranquilo | Jun 27, 2010 2:53:27 PM

19. Do straight people have to ruin EVERYTHING? Of course, some of my best friends are straight ;-> but Goddamnit, SOME fucking breeders have no class, no manners, and NO CLUE on how to behave in public.

Honestly, it pisses me off that WE have to pay for their stupidity and assholery. Ruining Halloween, now Pink Saturday...fuck them.

Yeah, "we're" the threat to society.

Posted by: Dennis | Jun 27, 2010 2:57:06 PM

20. No one knows who's straight or gay- besides it's irrelevant. It's a party celebrating GAYNESS & everyone's welcome.

The problem is youth & guns & immaturity that denies them the ability to see a bigger & long-range world, which unfortunately 1 will never see, another will see from a jail-cell.

This will now need to be ONLY a daytime event & no drinking allowed- otherwise, it's the same sh*t expecting a different result.

Posted by: stephen | Jun 27, 2010 3:33:24 PM

21. This is why I get out of the city for Pride and go up north to hang out I would not be in the city for this if you paid me it's just not fun anymore

Posted by: Kevzin | Jun 27, 2010 3:46:07 PM

22. Oh Milkman you make me chuckle. Such naivete! You so clearly were not there last night, so therefore have no grasp of that which you speak of. Let me paint for you a little picture of what it was like. Just from me to you.
    Milkman, picture yourself in the middle of a city street, perhaps at an intersection. now fill that street for five blocks in each direction full, and I mean PACKED FULL as a ruch hour subway car FULL of fat ghetto latinas and blacks with faces full of shrapnel and bad tattoos, their monotonous numbers broken only by their nearly equal number of slouching, baseball cap to-the-side wearing, droopy drawers thug boyfriends. On occasion, as you survey this thugaskankapalooza, you see the rare other homosexual. as you then hurry to escape this Richmond-in-the-city nightmare, you notice that many of the female blobs of goo and hair are actually mocking the gays, grabbing each other's hands and sneering " look at us, we'z gay now" and laughing.
    got it?

Posted by: Rich in the Castro | Jun 27, 2010 3:50:42 PM

23. Tank:

Dennis:

You have NO IDEA whether the shooter was gay or straight. But then again, your use of the word "breeder" really tells me all I need to know about you. You're an ignorant jackass.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 27, 2010 3:53:05 PM

24. Rich:

I especially enjoy how you don't even attempt to hide your racism. Good work.

Also, I'm curious as to how YOU know exactly who is gay and who is straight.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 27, 2010 3:54:47 PM

25. "My agenda is one against stupidity and rank hypocrisy. Everyone bitches and moans when people make unwarranted assumptions about gays, and then turns around and assumes that violence that broke out at a GAY event MUST be perpetrated by straights. If you think that drunken violence is new to the gay community, you are deluding yourself. I agree with The Milkman, I've seen PLENTY of violent behavior by gays."

Yeah...unwarranted. Since we'll rely on anecdotes (useless), a few questions. Have you ever been in a bar fight? Ever witnessed a bar fight in person where people got seriously injured and the police were called? Inside the bar...not a little lesbian or gay catfight outside, but a knockdown drag out bar fight. Now was it a gay bar or a straight bar with lotsa a blood and lotsa teeth? I wouldn't put it past you to lie...

Whenever large groups of straight people gather and alcohol is involved, there's a high probability of violence...of course, this isn't all straight people.

How many pride events where large numbers of lgbt people congregate and where alcohol is introduced...is there violence perpetrated by the gays who are there (not the straight homophobes)?

Posted by: TANK | Jun 27, 2010 4:04:58 PM