"Ex-Gays" | News

Watch: Does This Gold-Flecked Ascot Make Me Look Ex-Gay?

Exgay

Because an "ex-gay" is what he became after an encounter with God in San Francisco's Castro District.

Adam Hood whispers dramatically as part of the Recycle Your Faith series,
AFTER THE JUMP...

(via the awl)

Comments

1. This has to be a joke...it has to be. Sooo funny.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 21, 2010 6:07:31 PM

2. Call a Ssssssspade a ssssssspade...rotflmao...it hurts...it hurts...to laugh....

Posted by: TANK | Jun 21, 2010 6:08:35 PM

3. The only words I hear when this man speaks are "shame, self loathing, fear and regret". He states that "many men are without father figures or are abused by an uncle or a male family friend." I've a large circle of friends and we have all spoken openly about what has shaped us as gay men and Adam clearly is speaking from personal experience. He is the exception not the rule.

Posted by: deema | Jun 21, 2010 6:16:27 PM

4. OMG.. They should just run this on the Onion channel.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 21, 2010 6:17:03 PM

5. "God's not having it. God said, talk to the hand, girlfriend!"

Posted by: crispy | Jun 21, 2010 6:25:51 PM

6. The gold flecked ascot makes him look gay, but that's okay, he is gay.

This is a Stockholm syndrome type thing, or otherwise its one of those youtube send ups.

I predict he will be caught with a Rentboy travel companion -- its just a matter of time.

Some gay men "repent" when their looks fade.

Posted by: Fahd | Jun 21, 2010 6:26:58 PM

7. I despise when the anti-gay folks use the "ick factor" of anal sex to justify their bigotry towards gay people. That whole argument is based on the following assumptions:

1. All gay men engage in anal sex.
    2. No one other than gay men engage in anal sex.

Unfortunately for them, both of those assumptions are absolutely false.

Posted by: Roger | Jun 21, 2010 6:29:35 PM

8. please tell me this is satire

lol

Posted by: neverstops | Jun 21, 2010 6:32:24 PM

9. This guy is rightfully the target of laughing and snickering, and really that shit he's spewing is both stupid and hurtful. But he is one of ours, and let's not forget the stuff that some of us are put through because of religion and ignorance. Sure, make fun of him, but also remember what made him this way. Happy Pride.

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 21, 2010 6:33:36 PM

10. Laugh My Fucking Ass Off (so funny I have to write out the entire phrase)
    It's a joke, people. The ex-gay fundies are dumb but they're not dumb enough to think they'll win converts by emphasizing that you can become a straight born-again Christian even if you're a screaming, fluorescently flamboyant, utterly stereotypical queen looking like a "gay neighbor" character from a 1970s sitcom (he could only be more so if he was holding a pet cat with its fur dyed fuchsia).

IT'S SATIRE, AND IT'S RATHER FUNNY AT THAT!!
    HOPE THE REAL EX-GAY FUNDIES SEE IT!!

Posted by: Hunter | Jun 21, 2010 6:35:35 PM

11. too bad he's a weirdo. he's kinda cute.

Posted by: jeremy Black | Jun 21, 2010 6:36:52 PM

12. I too have had many a religious experience in San Francisco's Castro district, The Lord and His holy name were mentioned many times but I never got an ascot like that out of the experience.

Posted by: Anders | Jun 21, 2010 6:37:30 PM

13. Funny I suppose, a bit sad if this is real. Let's just put one foot in front of the other, smile, respect and accept our neighbors for their differences and start to worry about bigger problems than how dirty homosexuality is; perhaps a little oil spill that is destroying our gulf?

Posted by: Paul | Jun 21, 2010 6:40:17 PM

14. I can not fathom the self-hatred this 'man' lives on a daily basis.

But at least now he loves pussy!

Posted by: Bill | Jun 21, 2010 6:44:10 PM

15. I didn't think it was satire until near the end when he was talking about being in a cage and miming getting fisted. You could practically smell Crisco and latex oozing from the screen.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 21, 2010 6:45:02 PM

16. I've never felt more masculine.

Posted by: Joe | Jun 21, 2010 6:50:11 PM

17. Sounds like he's been reading Elizabeth Moberly. These fucking xtians have messed him up. I sure hope he finds his way out of the light and back to the Castro.

Posted by: Tone | Jun 21, 2010 6:55:57 PM

18. So this "god" he met in the Castro District... was he a top or a bottom? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: tc in nyc | Jun 21, 2010 6:57:12 PM

19. Please tell me this is a joke. I am so over the religion thing when it comes to homosexuality. This poor soul is pathetic, I actually feel sorry for him.

Posted by: Speedieg | Jun 21, 2010 6:57:38 PM

20. ahahahahahahahahaha! good one!

Posted by: nic | Jun 21, 2010 7:01:09 PM

21. Fucking moron.

Posted by: Stonem | Jun 21, 2010 7:04:59 PM

22. This isn't satire. Go to the sponsoring site, recycleyourfaith.com, where it says, "Short and compelling videos are posted every Monday at recycleyourfaith.com. Each video encourages spiritual exploration through candid interviews, thought-provoking topics, and stories of people attempting to walk in the footsteps of Jesus."

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 21, 2010 7:06:27 PM

23. If only these morons opposed "usury" and "divorce" just as passionately.

Satire or not... still insulting and offensive.

Posted by: jexer | Jun 21, 2010 7:08:34 PM

24. ugh. that's pitiful.

Posted by: unokhan | Jun 21, 2010 7:13:53 PM

25. he's as vociferously anti-gay as ex-smokers are anti-smoking. i know, i'm an ex-smoker myself.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 21, 2010 7:18:16 PM