Anne Rice | Books | Christopher Rice | Jesus Christ | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anne Rice Quits Christianity Over 'Anti-Gay, Anti-Life' Positions

AnnericeAnne Rice announced on Facebook yesterday that she's quitting Christianity as a matter of conscience.

Wrote the author:

"For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."

She followed that up with another message:

"As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

Comments

1. Hey lady, these aren't new developments. I mean, hullo?

Posted by: crispy | Jul 29, 2010 2:54:41 PM

2. For whatever reason, that's the best news I've heard in a while. I've always been dissapointed that the freak evangelicals managed to get their bitter, hate-filled claws into her.

Thanks Anne, that made my day.

Posted by: stolidog | Jul 29, 2010 2:54:57 PM

3. I could not agree more Anne Rice. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity a long time ago.

Posted by: DarrellT | Jul 29, 2010 2:56:59 PM

4. I'd much rather her quit writing. By the power of grayskull, I quit this sentence.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 29, 2010 2:59:25 PM

5. Way to go Anne! WooHoo. Maybe we'll get some more books or movies soon! Yeeehaw!

Posted by: Randy | Jul 29, 2010 3:00:24 PM

6. She forgot to say Anti-Vampire. I'm so tired of the Christian persecution of vampires, it just sickens me. Also gays. Anne, I've loved you since I fell in love with Louis when I was 12, and you don't disappiont.

Posted by: David | Jul 29, 2010 3:08:42 PM

7. And on a deeper level, a strong rebuke to the people who claim to act in Christ's name but who spew nothing but hate and lies.
    Thank you, Ms. Rice, for speaking up and speaking out and following your conscience and your personal commitment to a god who's message seems very different from most who claim him.

Posted by: JauntyJohn | Jul 29, 2010 3:08:56 PM

8. Does this mean she can go back to writing about vampires now?

Posted by: Karl | Jul 29, 2010 3:10:48 PM

9. She quit Catholicism, not "Christianity". Not all Christians believe the same way the Catholic Church does. Her lumping all Christians into one group is intellectually lazy and spiritually dishonest, and quite frankly offensive to thinking Christians everywhere who are pro-gay, pro-woman, pro-science, etc.

Posted by: DR | Jul 29, 2010 3:13:11 PM

10. "thinking christian" is an oxymoron.

Posted by: a | Jul 29, 2010 3:22:45 PM

11. Actually, it sounds like she would make a good Episcopalian. Fact is, of course, most American Catholics do not believe all that silly stuff they are told to believe by that idiotic church.

Posted by: Joel | Jul 29, 2010 3:24:12 PM

12. So say you, A, but that doesn't make it true.

Posted by: DR | Jul 29, 2010 3:24:35 PM

13. Not all catholics believe the same way as the catholic church does, DR. Your lumping of all catholics into one group is intellectually lazy and spiritually dishonest, and quite frankly offensive to thinking catholics everywhere who are progay, pro woman, pro science, etc.

Oh, btw...here's that tall frosty glass of shut the fuck up you ordered, dr.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 29, 2010 3:25:42 PM

14. So, in essence, she becomes a "true Christian?"

Posted by: Joey Watkins | Jul 29, 2010 3:28:05 PM

15. I'm glad she came back to her senses.

Posted by: Laurie | Jul 29, 2010 3:31:28 PM

16. I finally broke down and did the same thing a month ago. I just couldn't let go of the "Christian" identity. My final step was identifying as a Buddhist-Christian, but I just got tired of trying to deny what Christianity HAS become. I got tired of having to spend 15 minutes explaining that I wasn't "THAT" kind of Christian every time I called myself one and I got tired of pretending that MOST Christians aren't like "THOSE" Christians.

A month ago I sounded like DR. Although I don't get where DR claims that the things she finds deplorable about Christianity are "Catholic"; they're NOT! They've become part and parcel of the Christian faith. Those who DON'T follow the homophobic version of Christianity are a very small minority and MANY, like I was, are only moments away from walking away. Hopefully DR will take a step back and look with fresh eyes at what he's defending. It's REALLY hard to do when you have been so marinated in the idea that Christianity is in your DNA and is a critical part of your social, cultural and familial identity. For some people, it's harder than quitting crack.

I'm amazed at how liberating it has been to throw off the shackles of Christianity.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jul 29, 2010 3:33:26 PM

17. DR: Christianity may not be some monolithic religion that we can paint with broad strokes, but when it comes to PR, only the bigots care enough to make themselves heard. So right now, the only message the public hears from today's "Christianity" is about intolerance for gays, for Muslims, for women, for Democrats, for Obama...

Posted by: Dave | Jul 29, 2010 3:47:47 PM

18. We do work in our communities, Dave, but gay blogs find it much simpler to denounce LGBT Christians than to say anything positive about them.

The UCC has been publicly denouncing the actions of the far right for decades, but no one reports that, it's not sensational. The UCC has been publicly involved in the fight to end DADT and secure equal rights for LGBT Americans, publicly denounced the Arizona immigration law, and is regularly at the forefront on many progressive social battles.

Don't blame us for not stomping our feet and demanding attention like a bunch of spoiled children.

Posted by: DR | Jul 29, 2010 4:00:39 PM

19. Seems like lazy thinking to me, but if it makes her sleep easier at night, more power to her.

Posted by: Pekemo | Jul 29, 2010 4:01:40 PM

20. I think the title should read Anne Rice Quits Christianity so she can start making money again.

Her Books on Jesus Christ have flopped and Vampires are so hot these days I'm sure she just wants some of that pie!

Don;t get me wrong I am a huge fan but that fact that she dumped her fans for Jesus was so wrong!

Posted by: RJ | Jul 29, 2010 4:06:18 PM

21. "Don't blame us"

Pass. UCC accounts for what percentage of identifying christians in the u.s.? Less than 2%...no, a lot less than that. 2% just represents the number of gay affirming christian denomination in the u.s.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 29, 2010 4:07:11 PM

22. @ DAVE re DR --
    "If the "thinking Christians" you speak of were doing more to active reclaim the message of Christ from the media-friendly far right, then we wouldn't have this problem, would we?"

Well said.

Posted by: JauntyJohn | Jul 29, 2010 4:08:06 PM

23. Welcome to liberation.

Posted by: Wes | Jul 29, 2010 4:16:38 PM

24. I feel the same. I like Jesus, but his managers and fans suck. So I do my own thing. Jesus was the last person to hate on folks.

Gays, straights, etc...its just a label we give each other. The reality is that if God created the entire universe and everything in it that being is so beyond caring where you put your privates, and is really a smack in the ethereal face of a superbeing.

But then I don't think these people think. They really want to be Jewish and like all those laws. Too bad, so sad for them.

Posted by: Rin | Jul 29, 2010 4:29:22 PM

25. If she'd relied on herself over religion, then she wouldn't have gotten into that pickle, now would she?

Posted by: David R. | Jul 29, 2010 4:36:46 PM