Georgia

Anti-Gay Student Claims School Forced Her To Accept Homosexuality

A female graduate student at Augusta State University is suing the school because she claims the public institution has violated her First Amendment rights by forcing her to accept homosexuality in order to graduate from her program in counselor education.

Jennifer Keeton, a Christian who believes that being gay is a choice (she thinks gays suffer from "identity confusion"), is represented by the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal defense organization. WRDW reports:

J At the end of the first year, she was presented with a remediation plan, or courses to improve in certain areas. That plan includes classes to improve writing and grammar skills, as well as workshops to make her more sensitive to the gay population -- something her instructors say is necessary for her to be an effective counselor.

"The school counseling faculty has decided that my views are not acceptable for me or to share with other students," she says in a video statement produced by the Alliance Defense Fund. "They have required a remediation plan in which the end result would be me altering my beliefs or being dismissed from the program."

In a letter to Keeton, program directors say that is not the case.

In the letter, associate director Mary Jane Anderson-Wiley points to what she calls Keeton's "belief that you possess a special knowledge about the way that other people should live their lives, and that others need to adopt a similar set of values."

The letter goes on to say that "the content of [Keeton's] moral or religious beliefs is not in question."

According to the remediation plan, program directors are concerned about Keeton's ability to effectively council people who are gay or lesbian, citing class papers and comments where Keeton has disagreed with the gay "lifestyle."

The letter also cites an email from Keeton in which she says: "my Christian moral views are not just about me. I think the Bible's teaching is true for all people and it shows the right way to live."

Watch a news clip on the controversy, which includes interviews with students from Augusta State University who have varying opinions on the matter, AFTER THE JUMP.

Also, watch the short clip put together by the Alliance Defense Fund in which Keeton is interviewed and talks about being forced to her ditch her "biblical beliefs."

Comments

1. What a viscious cunt.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 24, 2010 10:24:10 AM

2. I guess her "Bible beliefs" stop when all the Bile stuff against women come up.
    Aren't women, in the Bible, suppose to be pretty much quiet and uneducated?

Posted by: JimmyDj | Jul 24, 2010 10:32:26 AM

3. I think her real issue is that she doesn't want to accept that other people accept homosexuality.

I wonder though, if the school ever intervenes in this manner with students who express anti-Christian views. If anything this should be a discrimination law suit, not one about the first amendment.

Posted by: Jason (the commenter) | Jul 24, 2010 10:37:10 AM

4. Gurl needs a fat cock in her mouf.

Posted by: ew | Jul 24, 2010 10:40:31 AM

5. I go to ASU and it's not exactly the liberal bastion Ms. Keaton (and a lot of local buffoon online newspaper commenters) think it is, but I'm kind of proud of my school for putting her in this remediation plan. There have been other local reports that she believes in gay conversion and other typical fundamentalist beliefs about homosexuality, but I look forward to her one day marrying some ex-gay, along with eating shellfish, or working on the Sabbath or anything else the Bible says we're not supposed to do.

Posted by: James | Jul 24, 2010 10:41:55 AM

6. As a counselor, I'm horrified that she was even accepted into a program. The foundation of counseling is about helping people from an unbiased viewpoint. Personal values and beliefs should NEVER enter into a session. As a counselor you have to do what is best for the CLIENT or STUDENT...that includes NOT imposing your moral code or beliefs. Ethically, if you can not do this, you must refer them to someone who can help from a neutral standpoint and who has the best interest for the client/student. The fact that she does not understand these basic counseling concepts is terrifying, and I hope that she is never a practicing counselor.

Posted by: CJT | Jul 24, 2010 10:42:52 AM

7. Why did she take the course knowing that she has to fulfill the requirements to pass the course. She should enroll at Glenn Beck Univ.

Posted by: MJ | Jul 24, 2010 10:46:05 AM

8. The fact that she is on a 'remediation plan' for writing and grammar skills makes one wonder if she's using her 'Christianity' as an excuse so she doesn't get kicked out of the program. The irony is that she looks like and is just as stupid as Jessica Simpson. Praise Jeeeeeebus! Kick the cunt out.. .she probably can't even spell Homosexual, let alone Remediation Plan or Counseling.

Posted by: Bobbie | Jul 24, 2010 10:48:45 AM

9. She went to a PUBLIC university, if she did not want her beliefs challenged she should have gone to a religious college. Heaven forbid any of her future clients are gay, women who want an abortion, or do not believe as she does. She will not be an effective counselor, more like a authoritarian mother (Do as I say!).

Posted by: Carl | Jul 24, 2010 10:49:57 AM

10. This wouldn't be possible in Europe (sorry all US readers). People would laugh at her. What a farce. How do you react to people like her? Is she serious? Why did she wanted to be a part of the programme?
    CJT you wrote it so well, I don't need to try.
    James, she doesn't do anything the Bible tells not to. I am sure of it (not!).

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 24, 2010 10:50:19 AM

11. What an attention whore.

Posted by: Max | Jul 24, 2010 10:51:44 AM

12. Oh the humanity!

The level of oppression, discrimination and abuse that the 85% majority Christians face in this country is staggering.

Just the other day a woman had a homa-sek-shul STAND IN FRONT OF HER at a loving Christian rally in support of homa-sek-shul aparthide.

Now this?

[Start scary music and roll crucifixion scene from Saint Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ]

[Sweet woman's voice with great trepidation]

"We are only weeks, maybe DAYS, away from Christians being rounded up and crucified or thrown to the lions. Their chuldren will be taken away, forced into a life of homaseshality and drafted as footsoldiers in the homa-sek-shul agenda. Those who resist will be thrown into fiery furnaces."

[Zoom to the tear stained face of a terrified little girl with a bow in her hair, holding a tattered teddy bear]

"PLEASE call today with your financial contribution, 1-800-VICTIMS or visit www.christianvictimsfund.com."

[Scary music crescendos]

"HURRY, tomorrow may be too LATE!"

[fade to black]

Cut and PRINT!

See how easy it is?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jul 24, 2010 10:57:59 AM

13. she was probably home schooled, accounting for the belief system and her grammar problems.

no one is telling her she can not believe a certain way. they are telling her that she can not speak about and impose those beliefs on others. no public school would ever allow her to proselytize to students. there is no room in public education for that.

I am a therapist and I work closely with a born-again co-worker. she understands the difference between her personal beliefs and pushing an agenda. this bimbo might have faith that not being a homo is in hte best interest of a student, but she has no right to abuse or shame a student in the name of her savior.

if she believes that it is her mission to provide Christian counseling, go to a Christian college and find work in a private Christian school.

Posted by: windreader | Jul 24, 2010 11:01:43 AM

14. 1 word describes her - Bim--Bo! She wants attention..hoping she'll get noticed by the media...waaalaaa - she's a new carrie Prejean ...she's another reason, and those like her I avoid the south like the plague

Posted by: RexTrek | Jul 24, 2010 11:02:19 AM

15. Silly misguided woman. I know for a fact, all truth and spiritual knowledge eminate from the larger than life sized statue of the Goddess Uma Thurman that I've constructed in my garden shed from twigs, mud, moss and composted goat dung. Uma be Praised.

Posted by: JP | Jul 24, 2010 11:04:08 AM

16. She's a zealot moron. Period.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 24, 2010 11:05:35 AM

17. *Sigh* Another reason this homeboy is proud to be a native Georgian (rolls eyes).

Posted by: Garrett | Jul 24, 2010 11:08:42 AM

18. It's clear that the poor dear's mind has been closed for quite some time now. I'm gratified that her school stepped up to the plate. From the article, however, it would appear that her "Christian" beliefs aren't her only problem. Seems that readin' and writin' are also problems of hers?

Worldwide, her Christian beliefs are in the minority. Would be interesting to see her counsel a Muslim, Bhuddist, Hindu, or an atheist. Atheists, btw, make up over 1.1 billion of the earth's population.

Posted by: Burt Hermey | Jul 24, 2010 11:10:37 AM

19. There's more to this story, she also got sent to summer school for English and Composition. I will say this, it is people like her that make me feel ashamed that I was raised in a Christian faith. While I don't practice it anymore, I do hold many principles and practices in my heart and daily life. I was lucky to grow up in home and church that focused on community and giving to "ALL" in need, the 70s-80s. Jennifer certainly lives in a thick vinyl bubble. Next she's going to say she doesn't know anyone who is Gay. And when asked how she came to conclusion homosexuality is a choice, shell probably go to the good lord on that one. Which brings me back to my first point. Jennifer should actually go back to remedial reading because not only is she not reading the required text books but she's not even reading the one book she's based her life beliefs and opioins on. I am sorry a real Christian reads the bible!!!! People who go to a church and just listen to a preacher spread his opinion of what is written are just lazy people who really don't care about the truth. We can blame 70 years of television for that. The pioneers of television are rolling over in their graves today (paley, sarnoff, noble, Henry ford and even merril) because how the Christian faith has destroyed the 50 years of credibility they worked so hard to build. The 80s and 70s were such a peaceful time compared to today. There is so much HATE being preached from the pulpit.

Posted by: Turlie | Jul 24, 2010 11:14:41 AM

20. they'll let ANYONE into graduate school these days. What's next, a christian suing the geology department because they force them to believe that the earth is more than 5000 years old? Hypocritical morons, all of them.

Posted by: gaylib | Jul 24, 2010 11:22:21 AM

21. Being a counselor at a public university does not involve teaching Christian beliefs. Why she is too stupid to understand that speaks volumes. I love how these people that CHOOSE to be religious think that gives them permission to indoctrinate everyone else. I guess that's how the evil Christian Agenda™ works.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jul 24, 2010 11:24:10 AM

22. Suck it up you waste of life redneck cunt whore. I hope she dies in a fire.

Posted by: Greenthumb55 | Jul 24, 2010 11:41:19 AM

23. "I think the Bible's teaching is true for all people and it shows the right way to live."

Except those pesky parts about loving your neighbor and not judging lest you be judged. And, probably the part about women not talking in church. And the other inconvenient parts.

Posted by: Lymis | Jul 24, 2010 11:43:37 AM

24. Yes, the girl is obviously mentally challenged, as well as ignorant and prejudiced. She has minimal Bible knowledge, count on it, and little understanding of what she does have. Sad, sad, sad. She should transfer to some hick Christian school and be their prom queen.

Posted by: Abel | Jul 24, 2010 11:45:36 AM

25. Kind of like letting a Christian Scientist into medical school isn't it?

Posted by: David | Jul 24, 2010 11:52:10 AM