Fort Worth Churchgoers Protest City’s New Inclusive Gay Policies, Want Their ‘Christian Beliefs’ Taken into Account

Over 100 people form local churches attended Fort Worth's City Council meeting Tuesday night, protesting the city's addition of a police department liaison to the LGBT community and tolerance training for employees, saying their religious beliefs were not considered:

Fworth "On Tuesday, speakers said the city went too far and didn't take their Christian beliefs into account.
'I believe the media and the GLBT community has distorted the facts of what happened on the night of the Rainbow Lounge to promote the homosexual agenda,' said Richard Clough, a former candidate for county judge who is an associate minister at Kenneth Copeland's Eagle Mountain International Church.
Perfeto Esquibel, a minister at the Christian Worship Center of Fort Worth, said most of his congregation felt left out of the discussions.
'We're just finding out about it,' he said.
Mayor Mike Moncrief said the city's response had broad support. Fort Worth is 'a city of inclusion,' he said.
Thomas Anable, who was at Rainbow Lounge on the night of the arrests, said the subsequent policy changes helped polish the city's image.
The attitude of the speakers Tuesday night 'shows [city leaders are] still taking heat for doing the right thing,' he said."

Comments

1. Ranchdad says

My religious beliefs were not taken into account either. I believe in magic and sacrificing Christians. Why don’t they take me into consideration too. ahahahahaha (evil laugh)

2. craig says

Pastor, tell you what. The cops will be over this Sunday to beat the shit out of you and several members of your congregation during the service, when you least expect it.

Then you can feel included. Trust me, you’re already hated, just like us, so you’re already half way there to “inclusion.”

We’ll be glad to make your kid’s life a living hell with bullying and physical violence, so you too can experience the joy of what your “religion” inflicts.

Won’t that be just “equality” all over the place. Inclusiveness is so good when we’re all equal.

Who … the … hell … gives … a damn about your stupid “religious views.” You don’t follow Christ, so why as a Christian should I care what those values are anyway. You’re just another warped cult, with Mel Gibson as your massiah. But, Christian, you ain’t.

I see a whole church full of THOSE every Sunday, and I KNOW what a Christian looks like. They’re not protesting someone else’s right NOT to be victimized.

3. Bart says

Being a Christian and a gay man, let me clear this up once and for all for all the Christians that don’t seem to get it.

Christianity is my faith.

Gay is my sexuality.

And to the Jesus-less pastors down in Fort Worth, and the completely anti-Jesus GOP down in Texas, you should be standing up for the oppressed and helping the underdog, as Jesus did. You people wouldn’t know Christ is he came back from heaven on a cloud in the middle of a Cowboys game. The one thing I’ve come to realize about Christians…most aren’t.

4. Mike says

Honestly there is nothing see here. The so called “pastors” who are doing the bitching are actually heads of the multi-million dollar cult churches, not the more established and respected churches found throughout the city.

I do hope, as a Fort Worth resident, that the city council tells these snake oil salesmen to fuck off or move to Dallas.

5. anon says

Essentially this is a liability issue. If you don’t attend the workshop you have to sign a release that the city is not responsible for your actions while on duty.

6. TANK says

Well “bart”, I can certainly see why you’re a christian. You do not think. It takes a certain degree of either refusal to engage in critical thought or an inability to do so for one to be religious in this day and age. Lack of education and “tradition” are also contributing factors. I don’t want to say you’re an illiterate slob, bart, but you have beliefs held by illiterate peasants of the eleventh century. Beliefs that haven’t changed in light of our understanding of the world…because they have no connection to it.

There is no such thing as “true christian”. A true christian is whoever identifies themselves a christian–as when you’re dealing with fiction, the sky’s the limit. You are no more a true christian than fred phelps, pope ratzinger, etc– nor was “jesus”.

7. Skooter McGoo says

Living in Ft Worth has taught me one thing, always carry mace because you never know when a “Christian” will attempt to kill you for being alive. Texas is well on it’s way to topping the list of HATE states, with Oklahoma and Virginia fighting to hold onto the #1 spot.

8. Bill says

Tank, I’m not a Christian either, but if you are the alternative, then I’m thinking I should reconsider. I don’t see how your insults, assumptions and generalizations are any less hateful than those of the people who use their religion to attack the gay community. I’d be interested to know what purpose you think they serve. Especially, in a public forum.

9. Bart says

wow tank…considering you don’t know me or my beliefs, your remarkable ignorant insight into my faith means well, nothing. you sound like a very bitter soul, maybe a little God in your life might help your sadness and anger.

Your justification for your anger and lack of class is that you believe that anyone who has faith hasn’t approached it with any critical thought? Straight up, you’re an idiot. What’s your authority on this vague thesis? Because you say so? Because you’ve thought about it “critically” and figure there’s no God or Jesus because religion hurts you? That’s lazy.

You’re right, I share my faith with eleventh century peasants, as well as with leaders of countries around the world, the greatest thinkers of all centuries, Nobel Prize winners, Pulitzer Prize winners, scientists, humanitarians, etc. etc.. But of course you’re far more astute than they are when it comes to “critical thought” on faith. If you actually read my last post with any “critical” eye, I never spoke about my religion. Religion is your word. And you don’t know my religion. I spoke about my faith. And like me, some men and women have used their faith to propel them to great rewards and creations, while some have used to for evil. It’s not the faith, it’s who uses it.

So as far as being an illiterate slob, well, beside you having no idea who I am, your attack is pedantic, lazy, and self-absorbed. Maybe you should try a little less critical thought you seem so fond of and try working on your humanity and soul. They need a little polishing up. Because as a human being, you’re odious.

And my name is Bart, you don’t have to put quotations around it, “Tank.”

10. TANK says

It’s not an insult, generalization or assumption to point out the logic of thought, bill. I am atheist, and if my atheism would cause you to become a believer in some hogwash supernaturalist “faith,” then your atheism is on very shaky grounds, indeed…and not worth considering. It’s a fact that there is no such thing as a true christian (or true muslim, or jew…or buddhist), and anyone who claims to be a christian is a christian. Your cherry picked understanding of the bible (and all interpretations of the bible are cherry picked as there is no “better interpretation” or more “true interpretation” than any other) is no better or worse than anyone else’s. There is no such as a “true” faith between baptists and catholics….they are just as much christian as each other, and those that deny it have only their “denial” and faith to insist otherwise…no fact of the matter resolves the dispute between interpretations. Fred Phelps and Mother Theresa are equal when it comes to being christian. No true scotsman fallacy, jagoff.

And my insults don’t get people killed and ruin lives. The assumptions and “faith” of christians and muslims DO. Unless you think that the lgbt teen suicide rate just happens in a vacuum. This is not an equal playing field. The day my “insults and generalizations” cause people tangible harm and suffering is the day that I choose to a new way to express myself.

11. TANK says

“Your justification for your anger and lack of class is that you believe that anyone who has faith hasn’t approached it with any critical thought?”

Lack of class? Like a woman being beaten because she wasn’t ensconced in a cloth sack? I don’t buy into the myth that respect is automatically accorded supernatural beliefs simply because one happens to believe it. You don’t, either, as you don’t respect racists simply because racists hold racist beliefs, do you? Course not. Unsubstantiated supernaturalism deserves no respect–no belief deserves respect simply because it’s held, however widely. And this includes these churchgoers at ft. worth–certainly you don’t respect their religiously based homophobic beliefs simply because they hold them.

As to whether or not intelligent people have faith, that’s an empirical claim. There have been intelligent people who were religious, and there still are. I know people who are religious, and we have fun conversation. My point is that with regard to their faith in the supernatural, unverifiable, and fictional, they are not critically thinking. Of course, after accepting their belief, they can be critical thinkers–but you need to first turn off your mind (essentially), and accept beliefs for which there is no justification–as there is no difference that they can enumerate between the content of said beliefs existing, and it not existing (no difference that they can point to in the universe). That first step of uncritically accepting religious belief is the common denominator in all religious people, because it’s irrational and absurd to accept a belief in a miracle (to believe that the laws of nature/physics are false) when more probable explanations exist.

“Straight up, you’re an idiot. What’s your authority on this vague thesis? Because you say so? Because you’ve thought about it “critically” and figure there’s no God or Jesus because religion hurts you? That’s lazy”

religion doesn’t just harm me; it harms millions of people worldwide–and is an excuse not to think, and used as a club to beat down rational dissent. But not only is the harm that religion does, in fact, cause a good reason to avoid it–it’s unjustifiable supernaturalism…the definition of irrationality, and antithetical to human flourishing…subduing critical thinking and introspection…as this example clearly illustrates.

“You’re right, I share my faith with eleventh century peasants, as well as with leaders of countries around the world, the greatest thinkers of all centuries, Nobel Prize winners, Pulitzer Prize winners, scientists, humanitarians, etc. etc..”

Just because belief in the supernatural is popular does not mean it’s justified. And many, many nobel prize winners are atheists…in fact, the higher someone’s IQ, the more likely it is that they’ll be an atheist. That is no glowing endorsement of your faith.

“If you actually read my last post with any “critical” eye, I never spoke about my religion.”

You didn’t have to–you self identified as a christian, and made the no true scotsman fallacy.

“Religion is your word. And you don’t know my religion.”

I know it’s without justification, and is implicated in actual harm. That’s all I need to know about it. Because there’s no such thing as a “true christian,” all adherents are guilty (to varying extents) of promoting a faith (christianity) which harms people.

“I spoke about my faith. And like me, some men and women have used their faith to propel them to great rewards and creations, while some have used to for evil. It’s not the faith, it’s who uses it.”

it is the faith, though. Beliefs have consequences, and sincere christians act on their beliefs (this is an example)…and many of those beliefs cause people to harm others. It’s not who “uses” them…for beliefs don’t exist in some magical plenum divorced from time and space, and human behavior for them to be used like tools. Beliefs cannot be distinguished from behavior.

12. Txboy says

This really pisses me off!! Here we go again.. Christians putting their noses where it doesn’t belong…Since when did the city of Fort Worth decide that Christianity was the faith of ALL it’s 700,000 inhabitants…. Their beliefs were and are NOT violated unless ALL RELIGIONS in this country were involved in this decision expect 4 them…..This is exactly why I and many thousands of people are turning atheist every year…