Discrimination | Janis Fullilove | Memphis | News | Tennessee

BigGayDeal.com

Memphis Councilwoman Receives Death Threats, Dead Cat on Lawn Over Support for LGBT Anti-Discrimination Ordinance

Fullilove

Memphis City Councilwoman Janis Fullilove has received four death threats specifically related to her sponsorship of an LGBT anti-discrimination ordinance the city is considering. Someone else threw a dead cat onto her lawn.

WREG reportsFullilove

"Police think the threats are serious enough have increased patrols around her home to keep her safe. Each phone call mentioned her support for banning discrimination against gays in city government. Distraught, Fullilove reached out to Jonathan Cole with the Tennessee Equality Project. 'She essentially said that they were threatening to kill her,' said Cole, who thinks the death threats are just another example of intolerance in Memphis. 'It's scary and our city needs to stand up to this kind of ugliness.' Police are keeping a close eye on Fullilove and her family. She's asked her telephone provider to track the calls. Meanwhile, Cole says the councilwoman's experience should highlight the need for the ordinance to protect gays and lesbians working for the city."

Fullilove says she will continue to push for passage of the anti-discrimination measure, which comes up for a vote on August 10.

You can send your support to Fullilove here.

Watch a news report about the threats, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. There is so much hate in the world. Thanks to Memphis City Councilwoman Janis Fullilove for sponsoring this bill and supporting the rights of gay city employees, despite the death threats and hate crimes. We salute you!!!

Chris Rich
    Your Gay REALTOR in Connecticut

Posted by: Gay REALTOR in Connecticut | Jul 29, 2010 1:30:55 PM

2. Can you please stop putting things "after the jump"? This is normally used in newspapers where you have to flip the page to get the rest of the story. Also, it screws with my RSS reader.

Posted by: Bob | Jul 29, 2010 1:36:09 PM

3. Just another example of "Christians" showing their love for their fellow humans.

Sick inbred Tennessee fuckwits.

Big shout-out of support to Janis Fullilove, who REALLY represents the best of Tennesseeans and straight allies to the LGBTQ cause. And a big "FUCK YOU!" to the hillbilly assholes threatening her. I hope they find them and take away their welfare, with which they're obviously funding their meth labs.

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Jul 29, 2010 1:39:55 PM

4. Bravo to Fullilove for not bowing to pressure from these pathetic individuals - I hope they're tracked down and prosecuted for doing this.

Bob - I believe the 'jump' thing is usually done so that the main page loads quicker (since if it featured the full posts there'd be multiple embedded videos, a lot more images, etc).

Posted by: Chris | Jul 29, 2010 1:51:22 PM

5. Good for her. Lets see how much 'love' she gets as a BLACK woman.

Prolly non!

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 29, 2010 2:15:45 PM

6. "Fullilove", the name says it ALL!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jul 29, 2010 2:21:27 PM

7. I lived in Memphis for twenty years and I can tell you that animosity and intolerance are the local religions. When the races aren't duking it out, they turn on smaller groups. Everyone, it seems, is holier than thou there. I can't believe I put up with it for as long as I did.

Posted by: pParkerT | Jul 29, 2010 2:51:35 PM

8. I'm surprised that there are even this many supportive comments on this thread.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jul 29, 2010 3:00:36 PM

9. Leave it to "christians" to kill an innocent cat as part of a death threat.

And they're the ones screaming "WE JUST WANT GAYS TO BE NORMAL, LIKE US!!". To them, "normal" means being like Ted Bundy or Norman Bates.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 29, 2010 3:22:48 PM

10. Okay she's adorable.

Posted by: Marcus | Jul 29, 2010 4:30:59 PM

11. Good for her! It doesn't surprise me that she'd be getting death threats though. Look at the comments on the Staten Island White Castle case. http://thehoodup.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=38425&sid=bb08bb1d1fefff38b33f49816f4ae522

Posted by: The BigAnon | Jul 29, 2010 4:43:13 PM

12. There aren't that many supportive comments on this page because she's black and a woman. Had this been some muscular jock on a motorcycle with a tool belt there would be 3 pages of comments. Sorry, Chitown Kev. I guess you were being sarcastic.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Jul 29, 2010 5:46:32 PM

13. sad,stay strong!!

Posted by: sal | Jul 29, 2010 8:28:44 PM

14. But if that was a white congresswoman we be on page 75 by now......FAGS you've got to better!

Posted by: shuski | Jul 29, 2010 8:42:32 PM

15. Who would waste a poor cat on Janis F

Posted by: david e johnson | Jul 29, 2010 10:15:53 PM

16. More likely, a gay hairdresser is doing it because she refuses fo book an appointment and prefers to fry her hair at home.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 29, 2010 10:54:26 PM

17. Who would waste a poor cat on Janis F

Posted by: david e johnson | Jul 29, 2010 10:15:53 PM

Why would a Black person support white Gay Racists...That is beyond me. Maybe it's good that Prop 8 was voted in.

So sad what a bunch of ungrateful fags...Not all of course but here YES!

Posted by: RED DEVIL | Jul 30, 2010 3:30:44 AM

18. Keep your head up girl! Fight the good fight!!

Posted by: Dave | Jul 30, 2010 3:45:26 PM

19. I've lived in Memphis all my life. While I'm thankful for her support, I'm not exaggerating when I say this woman is absolutely crazy. I certainly wouldn't pick her as a ally. Intolerance is definitely a huge problem though. I know two teenagers personally who are being forced to go through reorientation counseling- not to mention all of the outright violence against the LGBT community-, and it breaks my heart.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 2, 2010 1:06:09 AM