Chris Colfer | Glee | Jane Lynch | Outfest

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Jane Lynch All Over Outfest

Lynch
It's been quite a week for Jane Lynch. She was nominated for an Emmy for her work on Glee, received an Achievement Award at Outfest, and yesterday she sat down to discuss her career as part of a panel at the film festival.

She took the time to talk about how frightening the aspect of coming out was to her and her fear of what it might do to her career. She got over the fear part pretty quickly.

"It's funny, when I was younger I used to lie in bed and think, 'What will I do if I ever get famous and they find out I'm gay?' I would really angst about that. It just happened so naturally and I didn't hide anything...It's the people that came before me that have really blazed a trail for me. Ellen DeGeneres, Rosie O'Donnell, Melissa Etheridge, Kd Lang, those people that stood up when it wasn't popular and said, 'I'm gay - deal with it'. I never let anything like my sexuality stop me from pursuing what I wanted to do and what I do has nothing to do with my orientation really...I play straight people all the time, I think I'm an actor first before I'm a gay person."

While accepting her Achievement Award during Outfest's opening night gala, Lynch had some very appreciative things to say about her Glee co-star and fellow Emmy nominee, Chris Colfer. Yes, she essentially called him an old lady - but she meant it as a compliment:

"The entire world has just embraced you and who you are, but none more than gay and lesbian kids who now have a courageous and fashion-forward role model and uber cool guy to look up to. It's a lot to put on your young shoulders, but I don't worry about you because you have a wise old grandma that lives in you, keeping your feet on the ground and making sure everyone has enough to eat."

Watch a highlights reel of her panel discussion in which the actress goes so far as to say that Glee has given some fans of the impactful show "a reason to live." That's AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Jane Lynch for President.

Posted by: michael | Jul 11, 2010 10:03:56 AM

2. Ya know, it's really sweet to see she's taking such a ridiculous show so seriously. Because she's really had a very long career (at being hilarious) and could just laugh everything off. But what a role model she's become.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 11, 2010 10:33:42 AM

3. I was there for that sit-down. These video clips capture most of the best of, but had you been there you'd swear she HAD just been elected President.

She's a very great actress and a very smart woman who has gone though quite a lot before rising to her current omnipotence. Long May She Reign!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 11, 2010 11:06:55 AM

4. Ellen DeGeneres, Rosie O'Donnell, Melissa Etheridge, Kd Lang, and Jane Lynch. Why is it okay to be a lesbian and not okay to be an out gay male entertainer....plz explain

Posted by: albert | Jul 11, 2010 11:13:19 AM

5. I don't regularly watch Glee for the simple fact that it is a Fox based show and I don't want to support anything that allows them in any way to continue their right-wing news.

That being said, I am grateful that Jane was both offered and accepted the role as she is a wonderful actress and presented an opportunity to familiarize me with her body of work.

Jane is a wonderful actress and an even better person.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | Jul 11, 2010 11:37:19 AM

6. It's going to be the Producers who control how the public ultimately views gay men playing straight- award worthy and box office selling- roles. It's going to be people like Ryan Murphy who blazes the trail for out gay actors.

Posted by: Rodney W. | Jul 11, 2010 1:06:30 PM

7. What a beautiful thing to say about Colfer—even if some find the role too fem.

Posted by: David R. | Jul 11, 2010 2:39:38 PM

8. I know I won't win any friends with my remarks but I'm entitled to my opinion.
    I sat there listening to Jane yesterday growing to like her less and less.
    She repeatedly talked, essentially, about how she's lazy in her approach to acting. She lets the offers find her and if she wants them, she takes them. While it's great she has paid her dues, she does seem to play a similar character often.
    And when asked about the politics of gay marriage, she took the stance of "by not making a big deal or statement out of it, I'm normalizing it". Again, while I can appreciate that, I hardly think we're there yet as a community nor as a country. It IS a big deal for gays to marry. Fuck yea! Celebrate your ability to marry!
    She, rather cavalierly, explained that she didn't mind fans approaching her but she had "found a way to deal with it" so she could get on with her life.
    I think you might have had to hear the whole conversation to get my point. From her overly casual appearance to her rudeness at replying before the question was fully delivered, as the time went by, I liked her less and less and found her much less impressive than before.
    She even made light of what could have been a really powerful exchange between her and Chris.
    I don't know. I'm thrilled for Glee and the noms and seeing gay characters get noms. That's tremendous. I just took away that she's a moderately talented actress who consistently takes the easiest road. Nothing wrong with that but nothing really newsworthy either.
    Let the bashing begin.