Football | Germany | News | Sports | World Cup

BigGayDeal.com

Top German Football Agent Claims There are 'a Bunch of Gays' on the World Cup Team

Gwc

Germany's World Cup Team 2010

German football agent Michael Becker, agent to top footballer Michael Ballack, is making sports headlines across Germany after an interview was published in which he attributed the elegant style of the World Cup team to the fact that "a bunch" of its players are gay.

The Guardian reports:

In an essay entitled New German Men, Aleksander Osang recounts an interview he had with Becker prior to the World Cup in which the agent allegedly told him which of the players in the team were gay. He later said that a former national player was ready to reveal the "bunch of gays" in the German team, according to Osang. Asked about the sexuality of one of the newer players, Becker, who is a lawyer by profession, referred to him as being "half gay".

Osang went on to say that Becker put the new adroit, lighter and elegant style of play that has become a trademark of trainer Joachim Löw's players down to their homosexuality, in contrast to the typically more aggressive and offensive German style of past years, but suggested they played too delicately to assure themselves a place in the final.

According to Der Spiegel, when Becker made his remarks about the "bunch of gays" he expected the ears of fellow journalists present to "prick up". "But they only nodded placidly," said Osang. "All sports journalists seemed to already know the alleged homosexual conspiracies enveloping Löw's team. The rumours accompanied our team to South Africa and evidently belong to the team."

Germany came third in the World Cup, going further than expected, after an excellent run that included wins over England and Argentina.

Becker responded to the controversy: "Becker has neither denied nor confirmed that he made the comments, but has since said he was 'misunderstood' and that the interview was not 'authorised', a common journalistic practice in Germany whereby the interviewee has the right to change his remarks after the interview. Osang said he stood by his article, saying that Becker had told him 'unbelievable stories that I took down in my notebook and Becker didn't seem to have anything against me doing so'."

Michael Ballack did not play in the World Cup due to an injury.

Comments

1. If the (confusing) message here is that the gays helped create an "elegant style of play", the Germans should go with a 100% gay team (OK, a token hetero or two would be acceptable)! Not only were they fun to watch (semi-final against Spain excepted), they went further than anyone would have expected. This is particularly significant after the crash and burn performance by Italy, Brazil, France, England, etc. etc.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Jul 13, 2010 8:38:07 PM

2. Agreed, if the Germans' new-found elegance was down to gayness, they should totally go all out queer! They played a brilliant World Cup.

Also, if this is true - as much as I sympathize with the difficulties they'd face - I really hope some of the players can find the courage to come out. In Europe, a few talented and openly gay footballers could constitute a huge, huge breakthrough in terms of visibility and role models for young gay kids in particular.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 13, 2010 8:56:54 PM

3. Whether is true or not, the buy doing the talking here is just saying "we lost because of a bunch of sissies on our team". A 'real' German team would be all manly and aggressive. So its just same ol homophobic bullshit. We lost. Lets blame teh gay.

Posted by: Jonathon Edwards | Jul 13, 2010 9:13:47 PM

4. These were my boys this time around:

Just in case I call dibs on Klose.

Posted by: Erick | Jul 13, 2010 9:14:52 PM

5. I wish! The Germans were perhaps the hottest team at the World Cup.

And I will cut you for Klose.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 13, 2010 9:32:08 PM

6. Give me Lukas Podolski anyday. Yum!!

Posted by: Craig | Jul 13, 2010 9:59:39 PM

7. "Half" gay? Are we talking the front half or the back half?

Posted by: Jason | Jul 13, 2010 10:30:47 PM

8. The German Team are great but Spain has the most sexy players. Iker Casillas is the best goalkeeper in the world and he's the sexiest man alive.

Posted by: JC | Jul 13, 2010 10:48:30 PM

9. I have always had a weakness for soccer boys. It must be the stamina, tight bodies, and shorts! -- even if, in the case of the Germans, they are lederhosen!

Posted by: Adam | Jul 13, 2010 11:37:22 PM

10. How did you find out that the german soccer agent's a top?

Posted by: TANK | Jul 13, 2010 11:46:57 PM

11. Podolski, Mueller, Lahm....oh god there are so many hot guys on the team.

Posted by: DD | Jul 14, 2010 12:32:34 AM

12. Podolski is great , bu Spain all tthe way for me too with Pique

Posted by: Enrique | Jul 14, 2010 1:24:37 AM

13. how long before cristiano does a ricky martin and come out. remember he is pro gay maariage

Posted by: walter | Jul 14, 2010 1:34:09 AM

14. What a suprise, gays on the teams! Do I hear big outing in the world of sport? Perhaps not just yet, but soon... (Not just in German team.) What is half gay? German team was hot, played well and was nice to watch. My fav. was Podolski.
    @Adam, me too, hot for soccer guys. There is sth about them.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 14, 2010 3:18:22 AM

15. @Jonathon Edwards: the interview occurred before the games, so he's not blaming the gays for anything.

As for the commenters confused about "half gay"---it's straight guy talk for bisexuality. Duh.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 14, 2010 4:49:23 AM

16. Was Michael Ballack side-lined from the team due to a pulled groin muscle?

Posted by: smallhandff | Jul 14, 2010 8:11:12 AM

17. Although interesting, this is hardly news. Most queer men have known that there is a large percentage of at least bi and curious players on sport teams.

Posted by: Charles | Jul 14, 2010 8:29:12 AM

18. Maybe "half-gay" means only top or only bottom.

Posted by: Philo | Jul 14, 2010 10:06:05 AM

19. @Erick
    thanks for the link. yummy pictures of yummy guys.. but am I the only one immature enough to be giggling at the "Mannschaft" title on that page? I mean, within this context?
    yeah, probably. I'll go sit in the corner with my juice-box.

Posted by: Dego | Jul 14, 2010 10:48:59 AM

20. Whether the Germans were the hottest team in the WC I don't know, but they were up there. The hwole event was off the charts for male hotness. I'll take it over US football any day for the eye candy.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Jul 14, 2010 12:21:53 PM

21. Podolski is the hottest boy on the team! For you Podolski fans:

Posted by: Craig | Jul 14, 2010 12:56:58 PM

22. Didn't watch much of Germany this time around but I heart Michael Ballack.

Posted by: kirkyo | Jul 14, 2010 1:12:54 PM

23. You give me Bastian Schweinsteiger and you can have the rest to yourselves. :-)

Posted by: TommyOC | Jul 14, 2010 2:02:51 PM

24. Gay, half gay or not gay at all,for me the games with the German players were the most plaisant to watch.

Posted by: Laugel | Jul 14, 2010 3:05:08 PM

25. Have you noticed Gerard Piqué from Spain...that's a sexy player.

Posted by: Laugel | Jul 14, 2010 3:08:02 PM