Crime | Josh Helmin | Judy Shepard | Matthew Shepard | News

Towleroad Interview: Judy Shepard on Hate Crimes, Forgiveness, and The Meaning of Matthew

Judy_shepard

Judy Shepard, tireless crusader against anti-gay hate crimes since her son Matthew was murdered in 1998, has a new memoir out — The Meaning of Matthew: My Son's Murder in Laramie, and a World Transformed. Over Pride weekend in New York City, Towleroad correspondent Josh Helmin interviewed Shepard about the book, her experience as a Grand Marshall at NYC's Pride Parade, and whether she could ever offer forgiveness to her son's killers.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. God bless you Judy Shepard.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 26, 2010 1:12:55 PM

2. She's great

Posted by: KFLO | Jul 26, 2010 1:53:09 PM

3. I can't imagine...cannot imagine being a mother and finding out that your baby was brutalized and left for dead like that. If she can forgive them...more power to her. I think I would have had to have been jailed myself for what I would have done to them had I been in her shoes.

God bless her.

Posted by: Rin | Jul 26, 2010 1:55:05 PM

4. I am constantly amazed at the strength this woman displays.

It must be so tough to be constantly reminding yourself of what you've lost by fighting this fight. Yet she keeps going and making such a huge difference.

I wish I could hug people through the internet.

Posted by: Sgt.Sausagepants | Jul 26, 2010 1:55:45 PM

5. Love Judy, one of the few people on this planet who I truly and completely respect.

Posted by: Jim | Jul 26, 2010 4:37:03 PM

6. I am with RIN. I myself would be in a horrible place - I am just not sure I would have the strength. My kids are my life - but in hindsight, she is showing that Matthew was hers - and his importance in her life and our world. God holds not only a special place for Matthew, but for Mrs. Shepard as well.

Posted by: TyInTenn | Jul 26, 2010 7:54:55 PM

7. Jesus. Six comments? Did no one honestly watch this? God, our community has no reverence for anything. No wonder we can't get organized on any real fucking issue.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 27, 2010 12:12:49 AM

8. Hey Gainesville... Invite this lady to visit. I'm sure she would have something to say to the complaining christians about the Mayor.

Posted by: Bear | Jul 27, 2010 5:24:06 AM

9. I've read up on Matthew and got the distinct impression his mommy and daddy went off and did their own thing with little regard for the psychological welfare of Matt. They struct me as typical distant, uptight, cold, selfish upper middle class mommy and daddies who ship their kids off to prep school, boarding school, the shrink, whatever as an easy out.

Just saying.