Gay Marriage | News | Rick Perry | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Governor Rick Perry: Texas is 'a Land of Opportunity' Unless You're Gay and Want to Marry

Perry

On the campaign trail, Governor Rick Perry talked up Texas:

That prompted a question, later on, from someone in the audience who wanted to know if the governor of Texas wants to be the next president of the United States. "No," Perry said. "I have no intention to go to Washington, D.C., except maybe to go to a museum, like the Smithsonian."

Social issues might be in the back seat, but they're still in the car: "There is still a land of opportunity, friends — it's called Texas," Perry said. "We're creating more jobs than any other state in the nation. ... Would you rather live in a state like this, or in a state where a man can marry a man?"

Comments

1. As they used to say, "Go east until you smell it, south until you step in it."

Real paradise. Sort of like the student truck driver I once had that rolled down the window of the truck as we went by a huge cattle feed operation: "Oh man, that smells like home!"

I guess.

Posted by: Craig | Aug 30, 2010 5:19:26 PM

2. I lived in Texas once. Once. Perry can have his death penalty loving, weirdo fundamentalist, homophobic state anytime.

Posted by: Terry | Aug 30, 2010 5:30:03 PM

3. My question is, why can't it be both. A state that provides jobs AND allow same sex marriage? How does one preclude the other? I swear the Fundie mindset is just mind-boogling......

Posted by: Robert | Aug 30, 2010 5:38:41 PM

4. This man has been an absolute nightmare as Governor. Ten long years, was never elected, he got promoted when Bush got the presidency. The only thing I can think of that he's done is the largest expansion of toll roads across the state, which is just a back door tax, and turned a somewhat moderate right leaning state into a conservative theocracy.

Former mayor Bill White, the democrat in the race, actually has a chance, only trailing by 8 points in the polls, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 30, 2010 5:48:55 PM

5. As someone who lives in Houston (home of a lesbian mayor), Rick can go fuck himself with his redneck bigotry. Without even realizing it, he just spat in the face of over a million LGBT Texas citizens.

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 30, 2010 6:06:11 PM

6. What a hateful statement from OUR governor! Unbelievable. Rick Perry we can't stand you but you are still our Governor and YOU represent us. Enough with this homophobia Rick.

We need Bill White as Governor in Texas. He gets it on our issues and has a gay brother. Add Bill White for Governor to your Facebook Group page. Go Bill!

It is time to evict this GOP azz out of Austin.

Posted by: Craig | Aug 30, 2010 6:08:15 PM

7. I've NEVER liked Perry and this is just the icing on the cake to make me hate him even more. The guy is an idiot & a jerk.

Posted by: ATX_country_girl | Aug 30, 2010 6:09:34 PM

8. Ladies & Gentlemen, Did you really expect anything different out of the land of steers and queers...LOL. Home to some of the most pompous hypocrits and biggest hair-do's. What I can respect is his honesty, he did not come across politically correct as window dressing. What you see is what you get. But ultimately he planted more hatred and bigotry..............A La George Bush...Their legacy continues

Posted by: XeroGravity | Aug 30, 2010 6:14:18 PM

9. Which is funny, since Texas' unemployment rate is about the same as Massachusetts and Connecticut, and the Lone Star State has a WORSE unemployment rate than Iowa, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Even Maryland and New York, states that at least recognize marriage, have unemployment rates as good as or better than Texas.

I think he meant California, but I guess he doesn't follow the news.

So overall, more pearls of wisdom from Governor Good Hair. Quelle surprise.

Posted by: Travis | Aug 30, 2010 6:20:25 PM

10. Rick Perry, the longest-serving governor in Texas history, needs to git along. His homophobia knows no bounds. Little does he apparently realize just how many GLBT folk live in this state. If he found out, he'd probably want us all roped and branded so he and his fellow homophobes easily could pick us out in a herd, I mean, crowd! This poor excuse to lead this state needs to be defeated but I, too, am not holding my breath that it'll happen!

Posted by: Jaybird89101 | Aug 30, 2010 6:23:05 PM

11. What happened to Texas? When I was a teenager I spent the summer in Houston it was cosmopolitan and the people I met were very liberal even for the late 1970’s. Now it seems it’s a race to the bottom with politicians trying to out crazy each other and the people are like sheep crying to be governed by biblical law. The don’t mess with Texas campaign to me said “We’re stupid and we LIKE it!”

Posted by: GGREEN | Aug 30, 2010 6:23:27 PM

12. I am so sick of these hating motherfuckers I could spit nails.....something has got to give and soon.....

Posted by: John Simpson | Aug 30, 2010 6:23:56 PM

13. OMG~I'm so embarassed to live in Texas!! I want to move~NOW!! Rick Perry is nothing but an asshole!

Posted by: DeDee | Aug 30, 2010 6:35:49 PM

14. Craig--(i didn't know Bill had a gay brother.)
    Tell you what, he managed the Katrina, and Ike hells that Houston went through, pretty damned good, no?
    Yes, Bill White for Gov., for sure!!

Posted by: tinhouston | Aug 30, 2010 6:37:23 PM

15. I agree John Simpson~I'm sick of the haten mother fuckers too! Texas can go to hell!!

Posted by: DeDee | Aug 30, 2010 6:37:44 PM

16. He's right. If you look at the states that allow gay marriages, they are all turning to the Republicans because they are tired of the Democrats of selling them down the river and closer to hell by just changing the definition for a small, really small minority of sexual deviants.

Posted by: Casey | Aug 30, 2010 6:47:11 PM

17. Perry won in 2006 with 39% of the vote, with just under 407,000 votes separating him from his gay-friendlier Democratic challenger. That difference is really only less than 2% of the Texas population.
    There are about 2.5 million senior citizens in Texas, most of them more conservative and homophobic than their younger neighbors.
    I wonder if Texas could ever turn blue and/or less hateful to gays as demographics change. Considering its size and influence, that would change politics in America considerably.
    I never would have expected a gay mayor in Houston so soon, but that's already happened.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 30, 2010 6:48:32 PM

18. Perry, needless to say, is a Big Ol' Gay Homosexual.

Deeply closeted of course.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 30, 2010 7:10:23 PM

19. Craig one correction. Yes, Bill's brother was gay and lived in San Antonio. He was a great artist here. However, he passed away not too long ago.

I've talked to Bill several times and he strongly supports LGBT rights. The only problem even if he is elected is we still have that wonderful institution called the Texas legislature to deal with. Unfortunately it's probably going swing a little more Red this next election due to anti-Obama attitudes in Texas.

Texas has a chance to elect a Democratic governor if we could ever get Perry to quit the coward act and debate White. Right now he won't debate, won't meet with editorial boards, and speaks only through his two-bit communications director, Mark Miner. Miner does good to get two thoughts straight in the same sentence and has the typical answer of "we'll have more details later."

Posted by: RBearSAT | Aug 30, 2010 7:12:49 PM

20. Rick Perry = George W's hanky baby.

Before this article I wasn't going to bother with this voting mess here in Texas. This spineless asshole needs to get along on down the road. And I think there are enough youngins who have had enough of his bullshit to make it happen. I mean, Bill White just picked up another million votes!

FWIW: Ralph Hall, a rep in north texas, is just about even-steven with the biblical bullshit.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 30, 2010 7:28:10 PM

21. @GGREEN - Houston hasn't changed. It's still pretty cosmopolitan, and we routinely vote for Democrats here (cept for the fundies out in the burbs). That's why we have an openly lesbian mayor.

Posted by: TOMR | Aug 30, 2010 7:31:48 PM

22. If I had been there my question for the Governor would have been very simple:

Governor Perry, when are YOU coming out?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 30, 2010 7:35:52 PM

23. texas doesn't allow same sex couples but i bet a man can marry his horse or his first cousin or a cow or two.time for this idiot to hit the trail

Posted by: walter | Aug 30, 2010 7:45:01 PM

24. The irony is the openly, lesbian mayor of Houston. Dallas almost had an openly gay mayor not too long ago. Ed Oakley lost by a slim margin in a runoff election. Dallas County went for Obama in 2008 too.

Posted by: Nick | Aug 30, 2010 7:46:29 PM

25. Come on you good old gay boys and gals in Texas...twitter this..Facebook this..eject the creep!!!! We can do it!!

It is funny..he is making fun of Mass.. Since gay marriage has been legal there for so many years now..it has one of the LOWEST divorce rates in the country...

Talk about STUPID!! You are running for office and you NEED votes..then you make a stupid remark that alienates 10% of the population..AND..their friends and family.

He needs to attend "Runing for Political Office 101"...

Posted by: Jim Stone | Aug 30, 2010 7:52:17 PM