News | Steven Slater | Transportation

JetBlue Flight Attendant Steven Slater Held on $2500 Bail

Steven_slater

Overnight celebrity Steven Slater, who now has Facebook pages and websites dedicated to him, was arraigned in court today on felony charges of reckless endangerment and criminal mischief stemming from his dramatic exit down the emergency slide of an aircraft at JFK airport yesterday, following an altercation with a passenger.

More on yesterday's arrest

"Port Authority police said it took jetBlue 25 minutes to report the incident, allowing Slater time to leave the scene. Cops found him in bed with his boyfriend when they arrived to arrest him at a beachfront home in the Rockaways with a porch overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, sources said. He boasted to skeptical cops that he really did escape by chute with his carry-on luggage. 'Oh, yes, I did! I threw them down first and I went down after,' he told cops, sources said. He was grinning as police walked him in handcuffs to a squad car. 'He left with a big smile on his face,' said neighbor Curt Karkowski."

The WSJ reports:

"Before a packed courtroom, Judge Mary O’Donoghue set bail at $2,500. Slater, 38 and a career flight attendant, is charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment. His attorney, Howard Turman said his client is expected to post bail Tuesday. Slater’s appearance in Queens Supreme Court was accompanied with much fanfare. He walked into the courtroom in a green shirt and plaid shorts, wearing what looked like a smirk on his face — a reaction his attorney said was prompted by all the media coverage. 'I think he can’t believe the amount of attention this is getting,' said Turman, a legal aid. Turman did all the speaking for his client during the five-minute arraignment, and O’Donoghue ordered Slater to stay away from two airline employees who offered witness statements — something both sides said was a standard procedure."

More from the NYT:

"Mr. Turman said that on the ground at Kennedy, the female passenger 'was outraged and cursing' at Mr. Slater, who 'wanted to avoid a conflict.' Law enforcement officials said that after the passenger cursed at Mr. Slater, he grabbed the intercom, cursed her out, bid passengers goodbye, grabbed a beer, and activated the inflatable exit chute. When asked why Mr. Slater chose to go avoid the conflict by taking the emergency slide, Mr. Turman replied, 'It was right there.'"

Comments

1. Ok, safety aside...that was some funny shit. Free Slater!

Posted by: David | Aug 10, 2010 12:38:50 PM

2. Maybe funny, but this guy's an idiot. That type of reaction is unacceptable. He should know that the FAA takes nothing as a joke. I don't know if they'll actually end up sending him to prison, but JetBlue should discipline him- this type of behavior clearly indicates he's too unstable.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 10, 2010 12:47:30 PM

3. Quitting your job over a JetBlue cabin intercom? $0.

Grabbing two beers on your way out? $12.

Escaping your career via the airplane’s emergency chute and instantly becoming the most beloved disgruntled worker in America? Priceless.

Posted by: funmidnight | Aug 10, 2010 12:48:45 PM

4. Is anyone just dying for that woman's name to go public? Every story needs a good villain.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 10, 2010 12:50:47 PM

5. A lady always knows when it's time to leave, and how to make a most memorable exit! ;-)

Posted by: JSH | Aug 10, 2010 1:04:30 PM

6. I stopped flying JetBlu because of asshole passengers like the bitch who set this guy off.

The New York- Florida flights are the worst. I sat down next to a woman who had her screaming kid on her lap the entire 4 hour fight (she did not want to buy her kid her own seat) and then changed the kid's diaper right next to me. On top of it, she tried to pick a fight with me when I asked to have my seat changed cause she felt insulted nobody wanted to sit next to her shrieking kid. She was so ghetto.

I mean - how many of us haven't had our souls sucked out of us by unruly kids or beligerent drunks on a plane that think the rules do not apply to them?

I am surprised that more flight attendants do not snap.

People have no propriety, decorum, or civil behavior these days. Everyone thinks anything goes.

Like Crispy - I hope they release the name of the skank who wouldn't sit her stank ass down.

Posted by: Tell It Like It Is | Aug 10, 2010 1:06:04 PM

7. O chill out Chris -peeps are NOT machines ,I've read that his mom is dying with cancer and this was just the final straw,the more the corps try's to cut cost the more we all get squeezed -dude just did what lots of us only dream of doing when pushed too far and man did he do it with STYLE -U GO !!!

Posted by: slippy | Aug 10, 2010 1:06:37 PM

8. Ok. Drama queen reaction, yes, but if he's being held on $2500 bond what's happening to the woman who allegedly cursed and/or hit him to begin with?

Posted by: jakeinlove | Aug 10, 2010 1:07:10 PM

9. I would guess nothing happened to the bitchy lady since businesses always cave to the consumer...I am in the service industry and the customer is not always right nor do I pretend they are, more often then not it's a ploy to get something from the company..the majority of people are evil. It is the product of a "me society" where no one else counts. I always reward my customers for "good" behavior, never bad.

Posted by: mnrocko | Aug 10, 2010 1:20:41 PM

10. Awesome is as awesome does.

HERO.

Posted by: Adam | Aug 10, 2010 1:26:39 PM

11. "wearing what looked like a smirk on his face — a reaction his attorney said was prompted by all the media coverage."

Oh. Come. On. You call yourself a lawyer? Here's how to spin it:

"wearing what looked like a smirk on his face — a neurological condition his attorney said was caused by getting knocked in the head by the unruly passenger's falling luggage."

The New York State Bar Association should look into this guy. Did he even go to law school?

Posted by: A. Beaverhausen | Aug 10, 2010 1:32:32 PM

12. And which top-20 law school did YOU go to Beverhausen?

Posted by: WTF | Aug 10, 2010 1:37:10 PM

13. I've always felt so horrible for flight attendants. They have to put up with people's stupid shit all day long. How can it be so difficult for people to behave on an airplane, and not make the crew members' days an all-out hell? Yes, it was his job to serve passengers, but everyone has a limit, and no one has to stand cursing. I hope the woman - who really is to blame for this - get's some kind of a punishment as well. That's never gonna happen though..

Posted by: Chris K | Aug 10, 2010 1:37:22 PM

14. He needs to get signed to Logo or Bravo and tell his story...I mean come on if Kathy Griffin can make money he should be able to as well...

Posted by: True Words | Aug 10, 2010 1:43:16 PM

15. Team Steven all the way. He should have bitch-slapped the misbehaving passenger.

Posted by: jaymax | Aug 10, 2010 1:44:54 PM

16. Airline travel is thoroughly unpleasant, even in business or first class. I suppose being a flight attendant is no more difficult than many other stressful jobs, but I am surprised more do not go postal. I guess it's the pay.

Posted by: Rory | Aug 10, 2010 1:47:50 PM

17. @ TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Although changing a baby next to someone is obviously disgusting, I'm sorry to say you have no right to complain about screaming babies. Of course it's unpleasant, but sometimes people need to go places with their kids, and their kids scream. It's a fact of life, stop crying about it (you're a grown up).

Posted by: Eric26 | Aug 10, 2010 2:03:10 PM

18. @WTF: You seem to be a tiny bit humor-impaired. Whose luggage knocked you in the head? [Beaverhausen suddenly gets idea for Halloween costume...hmmm, will this Steven Slater/jetBlue thing last through October?]

If we can't make fun of lawyers anymore then it's all over. Seriously.

Posted by: A. Beaverhausen | Aug 10, 2010 2:36:06 PM

19. Priceless -
    A couple of ex bf's are flight attendants. They had amazing stories of situations where stress and emotions rose to extremely high levels.

Felony charges should be dropped. Slap the guy on his wrist and say thank you for not punching the customer.

If that doesn't happen, JetBlue better cover their ass and file a complaint against the customer to avoid shit hitting the fan with other flight attendants... I'm just sayin'

Posted by: Fred | Aug 10, 2010 2:51:16 PM

20. I'd be honored, if asked, to post his bail for him.

Fortunately, I'm at the point in my career where I no longer have to travel weekly for business. Travel sure aint like it used to be and this poor kid deserves a medal, not a jail cell.

Posted by: chasmader | Aug 10, 2010 3:04:44 PM

21. Take a nice warm enema CHRIS and wash that big 'ol hair that's lodged across your big arse away...It's August 'silly season' and this is the best entry so far. Bravo!

Posted by: Lead | Aug 10, 2010 3:42:31 PM

22. The more I hear the more I LOVE this guy.

He should be hailed as a hero who finally did what we've ALL been dreaming about doing!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 10, 2010 3:42:41 PM

23. Oh the tragedy of riding the economy class. I miss it not-not for a moment. I beg you to overcharge me to have a pleasanter travel experience with people my own class.

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | Aug 10, 2010 4:04:47 PM

24. Hero? Not even close. By deploying the slide, he cost JetBlue thousands as they had to replace it. (I read $40k on another site; although, it wasn't an official source.) Additionally, the plane was not available the following day, which caused cancellations that affected hundreds of passengers.

Posted by: alex | Aug 10, 2010 4:21:05 PM

25. doesn't he look like he's channeling an earlier day micheal kors, similar appearence and a similiar gay energy...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Aug 10, 2010 4:47:43 PM