Ewan McGregor | Film | Jim Carrey | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor Gay Prison Romance Gets Release

Phillip_morris

Looks like I Love You Phillip Morris will finally see screen time, during the holiday season:

"Roadside Attractions has set a December 3 release date...The deal ends a prolonged odyssey for I Love You Phillip Morris to find its way to movie screens here. Financed by Luc Besson's EuropaCorp, the film premiered at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival and opened on schedule internationally, grossing around $17 million. Besson’s hopes to see the film get a simultaneous domestic release turned into a nightmare. The film’s original distributor, Consolidated Pictures Group, missed the original February 12 release date, and two other slots--March 26 and April 30--were also scratched."

Comments

1. I saw this movie not too long ago. It was a lot funnier than I thought it was supposed to be.

Posted by: David | Aug 26, 2010 2:39:12 PM

2. This is one movie that will make money when the director's cut release DVDs start selling.

Posted by: Wrecks | Aug 26, 2010 2:49:49 PM

3. I think the DVD has been released in Europe already.....

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Aug 26, 2010 3:20:36 PM

4. Saw this about a year and a half ago now, and think it's ridiculous how long it's been held up. I really liked it and hope this really means it'll be released. But I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Aug 26, 2010 3:38:55 PM

5. Thanks to nefarious sources, I have also gotten a chance to see the European cut of the film. Watched it by myself and then made my BF watch it with me again. Very entertaining and Ewan is just absolutely adorable in it.

Posted by: qjersey | Aug 26, 2010 4:13:30 PM

6. This celluloid fossil from another age should be buried fast and deep.

Posted by: protogenes | Aug 26, 2010 4:22:05 PM

7. I saw it a while ago. It's a sweet and funny movie. Never been a big fan of Jim Carrey but he's got a nice ass and obviously enjoyed showing it off. We need more romcoms like this one.

Posted by: ipanemaguys | Aug 26, 2010 4:38:29 PM

8. Just watched this after downloading a Divix copy online and actually found it to be very entertaining. Ewan McGregor and Jim Carrey worked perfectly together and the story was original. Liked it a lot!!!! Much better than most of the crap that came out this summer......:-)

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Aug 26, 2010 6:06:00 PM

9. I also really liked this movie. Sounds like a lot of people saw it using perhaps less than legal means, causing it to lost some audience when it's officially released in the US. Always, always love Ewan, and his extreme gay friendliness is just icing on a delicious cake.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 26, 2010 7:25:20 PM

10. Although I think this film deserves to be released, I might be the only person on this board not to have enjoyed this flick. I found Ewan McGregor's character to be too much of a stereotype. I will say it is a very complicated flick -- too dramatic to be a drama and too light to be a serious drama. I do enjoy how it slams the Texas justice system.

Posted by: Raf | Aug 26, 2010 10:23:07 PM

11. Saw it in a packed cinema here in Melbourne and almost the entire crowd loved it. Couldn't even hear a lot of parts due to all the laughter. Really great stuff and Ewan McGregor has (almost) never been better.

Posted by: Glenn | Aug 26, 2010 10:48:20 PM

12. Goodness, this looks like shit. That so many people seem to like it confirms that it is, in fact, shit for me. But you can't know until you see it, kenya. Well...still don't wanna see it.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 26, 2010 10:54:21 PM

13. I was surprised at how good this film is!

Posted by: Allan D | Aug 26, 2010 11:28:14 PM

14. This this a few days ago - European dvd.

I wasn't expecting much - due the the lack of publicity, and general silence and whatever.

Jim Carey and Ewan McGregor? And the mainstream media is not overhyping this film?? WTF??? Oh....it's a film with some funny realistic graphic gay sex. Ahhhhh... that's why.

Trust me, this is miles better than Brokeback, and I'm overly critical of any film that has gay characters.

I wish I was in that audience in Melbourne. This film has a dry sense of humor that is almost too non-sentimental. It really holds back and downplays what is one of the most outrageous true stories of the last 50 years.

They could have made the characters look really "gorgeous" but they chose to let them have a more raw, real look. I was initially disappointed - as they're both great looking guys - and the film took it's time to win me over, but by the end I was in tears, and laughing.

That being said, the director chose to keep the tone "light" overall (and maybe the Coen brothers could have helped? I don't know.) and the weight of the whole story didn't sink in until the very end.

This is one of the least corny films you'll see, a bit light and dry, but it made me laugh, and cry.

Posted by: TomJ | Aug 27, 2010 11:47:18 AM

15. The movie's trite, McGregor is wonderful, and Jim Carrey is Jim Carrey.

Posted by: DeeVee | Aug 27, 2010 1:30:06 PM