Arizona | Immigration | Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Speaks Out Against Arizona Immigration Law In Phoenix

Gaga
A few days ago GetEqual urged Lady Gaga to join in the boycott of Arizona by canceling her concert in Phoenix or take a stand against the state's recent immigration law, SB 1070. Looks like she chose the latter.

Gaga tweeted this before her concert last night: "Tonight we will continue to actively protest social and political injustices in Arizona. We will sing, we will stand up, + we will be heard." She then took a few minutes during her show to address SB 1070.

Some quotes from Gaga:

"I got a phone call from a couple of really big rock and rollers, big pop stars, big rappers and they said   'We'd like you to boycott playing Arizona because of SB 1070' and I said, 'You really think that us dumb fucking pop stars are gonna collapse the economy of Arizona?'"

"I'll tell you what we have to do about SB 1070. We have to be active. We have to actively actively protest and the nature of the Monster Ball is to actively protest prejudice and injustice and the bullshit that is put on our society."

"I will not cancel my show. I will yell and I will scream louder and I will hold you and we will hold each other and we will peacably protest this state. Do not be afraid because if it wasn't for all of you immigrants, this country wouldn't have shit."

Watch a clip of her speech, AFTER THE JUMP.

Related, the state won't see a review of the law before this November.

Comments

1. I love that awesome bitch.

Posted by: Scott | Aug 1, 2010 8:28:08 PM

2. this girl...i like a lot.

Posted by: David T | Aug 1, 2010 8:53:03 PM

3. ATTAGURL!!!!
    Love my GaGa

Posted by: Eug | Aug 1, 2010 9:36:39 PM

4. She sucks.

Posted by: Greenthumb55 | Aug 1, 2010 9:42:28 PM

5. She's beyond awesome

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 1, 2010 10:34:04 PM

6. I actually think she's handled this quite well. Go girl.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 1, 2010 10:41:49 PM

7. A positive and realistic message. Good for her.

Posted by: TonsofT | Aug 1, 2010 10:53:29 PM

8. She said it herself: she's a "DUMB fucking pop star." Or “Vogue on the outside—vague on the inside.” – Bette Midler [when she was still "Divine"]

She COULD have made a real difference. Her refusal to perform there could have made her fans angry enough TO do something. It could have inspired other performers to boycott, too, along with sports teams and labor groups and other conventioneers, which, as Robert Kennedy once said, “collectively can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.”

Or she could have at least passed out flyers as people were leaving, telling them HOW to become involved in overturning the law; or just flashed the contact info for the appropriate group on one of her Jumbotron screens that everyone could have simply snapped a pic of with their cell phones. Or DARE I say, announced that she was donating a portion of her haul to some immigrant rights group?

But all she did was preach to the choir, hype their egos for being in the presence of someone hip inside a concert hall bubble, reinforcing the myth that self-righteousness alone is a strategy for change. But they went back to their houses and apartments in the state run by bigots, while she jetted off to her next money-sucking gig over the rainbow, leaving silly little gay girls on Towleroad to imagine that she actually accomplished something.

When does SHE perform for Rush Limbaugh?

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Aug 1, 2010 10:57:04 PM

9. Why do I need documents to enter the U.S. when I am a citizen of the U.S., but illegal aliens do not?

Get real people, undocumented aliens are illegal and subsidized cheap labor for our exploitative classes!!!

Posted by: No open borders welfare state can survive | Aug 1, 2010 11:47:27 PM

10. I like Lady Gaga and have seen her twice before. Out of those times (one was on FI and another at Terminal 5), it sounded like she was singing completely live. I will say, however, that I can tell from this video that she is singing with a backing vocal track. Not complaining tho just an observation ...

Posted by: JJ | Aug 1, 2010 11:48:54 PM

11. Actually, Michael, she was far more eloquent---after a year or two in the spotlight---than Elton John in his asshole comments. And he's been around 40 years.

I don't see how punishing her fans would accomplish anything, and since you weren't at the concert, I wouldn't assume this speech was her sole action. Not to mention, most of the money made from the show will go to her and private promoters, not the state of Arizona. And the matter is now for the courts to decide; endless protests can only achieve so much when the fate of the heinous law is in the hands of the judiciary.

Oh, and calling her fans "silly little gay girls" speaks volumes about you. Especially when you open your comment with a quotation from Bette Midler. Doesn't that make you a silly old gay jerk? Move on, instead of attacking the most GLBT-friendly performer on the face of the earth.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 1, 2010 11:55:42 PM

12. Actually, should have said "the most GLBT-friendly STRAIGHT performer on the face of the earth."

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 1, 2010 11:57:57 PM

13. "self-righteous alone is a strategy for change"...how ironic.

Posted by: HawaiiBill | Aug 2, 2010 12:00:51 AM

14. Actually the more LGBT friendly artist out there right now is without a doubt: CYNDI LAUPER! I would love to see both making a duet!

Our Community knows very well what if feels like to be discriminated! This may be a good time for the HRC to speak with the Hispanic Community and make a deal. We will support your cause if YOU support OURS!

Posted by: Josh | Aug 2, 2010 12:21:24 AM

15. Michael, you sound like some bitter old bitch. Lighten up.

Posted by: SiSi | Aug 2, 2010 1:09:08 AM

16. blah blah gay Uncle Toms blah blah blah....

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Aug 2, 2010 2:10:29 AM

17. I get the message and she means well, but she's surprisingly (and woefully) inarticulate..."all you immigrants"? And obviously she's a pop star so I wasn't expecting anything deep, but her speech was so superficial that it bordered on pandering...a liberal Sarah Palin if you will.

And it's not about making a dent in the economy in Arizona (i.e. the canceling or boycotting of shows), but more about the message and intent behind it. I'm surprised someone in her camp didn't pass that memo on to her.

It's all good. She's big now, and it's great that she's at least addressing the issue.

Posted by: Larson | Aug 2, 2010 2:57:13 AM

18. I agree with Michael. This was disappointing. She didn't allow SB1070 to interfere with her raking in money for her concert. Now, if she's donated all her concert receipts from Phoenix to the anti-SB1070 forces, that would be a different story.

As for Elton John, I've long ago written off that egocentric queen.

Hey, No Open Borders, stop trying to dress up your rabid xenophobia in class-consciousness. Deportation is not a form of liberation for undocumented workers.

Posted by: SkepticalCicada | Aug 2, 2010 5:06:37 AM

19. and here I was thinking that the purpose of the Monster Ball was to make money for this copycat performer.

Posted by: Milan | Aug 2, 2010 5:55:20 AM

20. WERK MISS GAGA

DROP DEAD MISS MICHAEL@IMAABIGASSHOLEMATLOVICH.COM

Posted by: RED DEVIL | Aug 2, 2010 5:56:45 AM

21. @Josh: I'd say they're neck and neck on GLBT friendliness, but Gaga reaches a much wider audience. If it's any consolation, they just did a product duet on MAC lipstick supporting HIV/AIDS causes.

@Larson: "all you immigrants" is accurate for all Americans save native ones. And a deep speech wouldn't exactly fit in at her show. But as you said, at least she spent 5 minutes addressing the issue.

@JJ: Yes she often uses backing tracks. Given that she's been performing nonstop for a couple years, I'm sure her vocal cords are incredibly strained. Some of her recent performances have been fairly embarrassing in that regard.(Frankly, I think she needs to take a break or she's going to burn out.) Luckily, much of her show lies in the visuals---like her gorgeous dancers.

Michael saying "blah blah blah" is the funniest post he's ever made, though obviously unintentional since he lacks any sense of humor.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 2, 2010 6:12:46 AM

22. Lady Gaga's fans have an average IQ of 30 (and I'm being generous with that). She's a trashy, beak-nosed Madonna/Grace Jones/Ace of Base rip-off "artist" who can't sing, can't dance, and whose lyrics sound like they were written by a See-N-Say ("Ra Ra Ga Ga/Cow Says Moo"). And her biggest fan is the nasty scum and shame of the gay community known as Perez Hilton.

To suggest that Lady Gaga could influence this debate either way is absolutely ridiculous. Even if she did pass out flyers at one of her concerts, her fans would probably just eat them and say "THIS TASTE LIKE YUM!" on their way out to the short buses in the parking lot.

Posted by: JEREMY | Aug 2, 2010 7:29:58 AM

23. I mostly don't care for her music unless I am running and I certainly don't give a crap what an un-educated singer has to say about the law.

I am hoping that the Supreme Court will pick this up and it will be the first time in my life that I will be rooting for and hoping the right leaning contingent wins out and finds the Arizona law good law.

I would like to see Florida pass an equally stringent law; get rid of the wet-foot-dry foot bull crap for the cowardly Cubans (remember they didn't fight for their beloved Cuba; they left) and make it extremely difficult to live here as an illegal alien. No more immigrants period; unless you are really smart or have a lot of money. The Aussies and the Kiwis base your immigration potential on those two aspects and we should too. We are not the worlds halfway house anymore.

Posted by: Brett | Aug 2, 2010 7:44:23 AM

24. Everyone who is throwing their arms up in anger over the fact that Lady gaga spoke on this issue without somehow coming across as a Harvard civil rights scholar has got to have an astounding amount of egotistical venom in their blood. 1) It's her damn business to perform where she wants, 2) It's her damn business to speak out on issues that she wants, 3) She gets her message across and America still loves her. Finally, everyone who complains on how they hate gaga for being too "madonna" needs to realize the music they liked years ago is now labeled "oldies" and you have to go to the club on Tuesday nights in order to hear it. You're old, your music is old, and it's over. Go drop your cassette tape in your boom box and leave your bitchiness at the bottom of your 3rd glass of wine. Peace and love!

Posted by: Jones | Aug 2, 2010 8:09:59 AM

25. That was a thing of beauty, Jones.

Oh, and by the way, I'm old enough to remember all the folks Madonna was ripping off when she first cropped up on the pop culture radar (hello, Debbie Harry - and didn't Marlene Dietrich strike that pose first?). Bitching that Gaga is ripping off Madonna just shows how fucking ignorant you are, as if Madonna were some great fountain of pop culture originality. Ha! Tools!

Posted by: Jacknasty | Aug 2, 2010 8:26:07 AM