Lady Gaga | Music Video | News

Lady Gaga: God Put Me on Earth to Make Gay Videos

Bath

Lady Gaga released a statement after it was announced today that she had earned a record 13 MTV VMA nominations:

"I'm so honored for all the little monsters and self-professed freaks of the universe, to have more VMA nominations in a single year than any artist in MTV history. Ironically, I'm even more proud it's an unlucky number; 13.  A long time ago the world told me and my little monsters we would never be heard, together we changed the rules. God put me on Earth for 3 reasons: To make loud music, gay videos, and cause a damn raucous. Thank You MTV!"

Comments

1. Gaga has jumped the dolphin. Dolphins are gay sharks; it is true, I saw it on Glee.

Posted by: David | Aug 3, 2010 3:33:52 PM

2. I'm so proud of her. I'm a huge fan.

Posted by: River Kali | Aug 3, 2010 3:39:37 PM

3. Ah, the public face of Interscope's "Grab the Gay Dollar Campaign" speaks again.

"A long time ago the world told me and my little monsters we would never be heard." Bitch, when was that? The world can't get you to shut the eff up.

And when is she going to get around to making loud music and causing a raucous? The more this corporate pawn pretends to be edgy and ahead of her time, the more annoying she gets. Everything about her--including her support of the gay community--is fake, phony, and calculated.

Posted by: JEREMY | Aug 3, 2010 3:43:13 PM

4. Ruckus. Raucous. Two different words.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 3, 2010 3:44:26 PM

5. Uggh, she is really starting to piss me off, what a fake.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 3, 2010 3:50:35 PM

6. She got a record number of nominations today and she's happy. How is that so horrible? With baby killers and disgusting politicians the subject of so many posts here, it's hard to believe someone so supportive of the gay community can earn such disdain.

Posted by: Aaron K | Aug 3, 2010 3:53:41 PM

7. Great for her. But she hasn't changed anything. You can be "different" as long as you are heterosexual. That has always been the case. The only people who have advanced gay people's freedoms are gay people. You can't name a time or place in history where heterosexuals on their own treated gay people equally. The reason gay people have any rights today is because gay people fought for them.

Posted by: Bill | Aug 3, 2010 3:58:43 PM

8. Because Aaron K, she only "supports" the gay community to rake in gay dollars. It's 20 effin 10. Not 1957. Other celebrities have been supporting the gay community since before Stefani Germanotta was born. Declaring your support for the gay community isn't edgy or risky. It's de rigueur for a Hollywood celebrity. She makes constant refs to the gays--like she invented the gay rights movement--to make party bois wag their tails like abused little puppies and throw their wallets at her. That's it. Period.

Posted by: JEREMY | Aug 3, 2010 4:03:33 PM

9. Wow, some people can never stop whining. If you don't care for someone's music, then why take the time to be so negative about the person? It's ridiculous. Just because I don't care for someone else's taste in music or I don't care for a particular artist/group, doesn't mean I am going to rain on the parade of others who do like the music.

And on top of it, Lady GaGa does stick up for the rights of the LGBT community, she has many times before. She brings attention to the rights we are fighting for. Furthermore, she is really successful around the world with many fans. She has the attention of a lot of people. What is so bad about that?

There are so many people that are fighting against LGBT causes and to spend the time being negative towards someone who speaks good about us is completely backwards.

I am happy for her success. She is a musician and brings a lot of happiness to many people. She talks about being true to yourself, something that many of us preach about in the first place.

She is an incredibly talented woman. Just to get this off my chest, I am sick of people saying she is another pop star. Yes she has fun and catchy lyrics, but she can also sing extremely well, she does it live, and she is extremely gifted in musical instruments. So what if her songs are fun and don't have the deepest of meanings? Does everything have to be so serious all the time?

People need to learn to relax and just have fun.

Posted by: Daniel | Aug 3, 2010 4:05:03 PM

10. Totally agree with you Daniel. Lady Gaga has by no means managed to single-handedly changed anything for the LGBT community but anyone who gives our fight for equality some positive publicity gets a big old thumbs up from me.

Posted by: Michelle | Aug 3, 2010 4:09:17 PM

11. She is insufferable, disingenuous and so on.

Posted by: steve | Aug 3, 2010 4:11:24 PM

12. Hate is not relegated to homophobes. My god. It's a popstar who espouses love for gays, let's kill her!

Doesn't reading blog comments make you glad you can't actually read peoples' thoughts? How depressing that would be.

Posted by: Tonic | Aug 3, 2010 4:13:07 PM

13. "I'm so honored for all the little monsters and self-professed freaks of the universe, to have more VMA nominations in a single year than any artist in MTV history."

Bitch, please.

Posted by: MM | Aug 3, 2010 4:13:42 PM

14. I think I need to rent Evita tonight.

Posted by: sam | Aug 3, 2010 4:21:59 PM

15. Some of you still don't get it. This isn't about hating a celebrity who speaks up for gay rights (seriously--how many Hollywood celebrities speak AGAINST gay rights?)

This is about hating a corporate ploy to exploit the untapped gay market. Interscope execs didn't sign and promote an out gay singer--too risky. Instead, they trotted out a white (of course) female to delcare her love for the gays and rake in their money. Sure, she's given a small portion back to gay charities, but that's nothing compared to the millions she's made off the gay community.

Posted by: JEREMY | Aug 3, 2010 4:27:34 PM

16. @Sam - I'll bring the popcorn.

Posted by: RJ | Aug 3, 2010 4:31:37 PM

17. Bad Romance needs to win best video.

God I'm tired of the bitching. Who really fucking cares.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 3, 2010 4:33:14 PM

18. Bill: yes, but with assistance from straight people.

Gaga is a great artist and even better human being. Who else do u know, in the public arena, that is as vocal as her? She has millions of fans/people listening to her and she's most likely changing views and making those, who feel different, comfortable. she even actively reaches out to fans in need.

So when you hater bitches actually do something productive for the betterment of equality, I want to see an article of it here on TR.

Posted by: B | Aug 3, 2010 4:35:23 PM

19. Jeremy, the difference between you and our ol' pal Bill up there is that he is functionally retarded. He has an excuse. You're just fucking stupid.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 3, 2010 4:36:52 PM

20. btw what are the common complaints we hear about pop stars from pretentious art snobs throughout the years?

they are 'manufactured' by corporations, they don't write their music, they don't sing live, they can't play instruments...

here comes someone who does so much herself, and yet still so many find reasons to bitch. nobody can prove themselves to you, because you LIVE to bitch. its not healthy

Posted by: Wes | Aug 3, 2010 4:38:04 PM

21. GO GO GAGA GO!!!

I am a huge fan and incredibly proud of her. I love reading posts about Gaga on this site, the haters really provide me with a good chuckle. (Evita? Really? Patti of course but the movie is a travesty)

I hope she wins them all (well I guess that's not technically possible since she's nominated twice in a few categories)! And I pray that she performs at the VMA's in September. Her performance of Paparazzi last year was stunning.

Whatever, everyone can hate away. I'm gunna go rock out to "Dance in the Dark."

Posted by: SKOC211 | Aug 3, 2010 4:41:01 PM

22. and btw again, if she didn't speak up for gay rights, we'd hear bitching about how she's afraid and cares more about 'sales' than supporting us. when she does speak up, loudly and regularly, she gets trashed for being 'fake' and 'milking' gay money. she even called out the prevalent homophobia in the industry (finally a big star who actually says something), more than once, and gays proceed to trash her.

you demand so much support but are willing to give so little. one little thing you don't like and ITS OVER

Posted by: Wes | Aug 3, 2010 4:43:44 PM

23. Yes SKOC211 Evita the movie with Nero - I mean Madonna. You missed the joke.

Posted by: sam | Aug 3, 2010 4:46:55 PM

24. Crispy: LOLOL. Dying right now!

Posted by: B | Aug 3, 2010 4:49:01 PM

25. Bill, openly gay people are an incredibly tiny fraction of the population. We wouldn't have gotten anywhere without heterosexual allies. Thats just an obvious fact.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 3, 2010 4:51:59 PM