Barack Obama | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Survey: Nearly 20% Believe Obama is a Muslim

A new Pew Research Center survey reveals nearly 1 in 5 people in America believe Obama is a Muslim:

Obama "Among those who say Obama is a Muslim, 60 percent say they learned about his religion from the media, suggesting that their opinions are fueled by misinformation. But the shifting attitudes about the president's religious beliefs could also be the result of a public growing less enamored of him and increasingly attracted to labels they perceive as negative. In the Pew poll, 41 percent disapprove of Obama's job performance, compared with 26 percent disapproval in its March 2009 poll. More than a third of conservative Republicans now say Obama is a Muslim, nearly double the percentage saying so early last year. Independents, too, are now more apt to see the president as a Muslim: Among independents, 18 percent say he is a Muslim, up eight percentage points."

Comments

1. [bangs head on desk]

Over the freaks in this country. Spain, I hear you calling:

Posted by: Cory | Aug 19, 2010 12:13:40 PM

2. The best case against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter... or in this case, 30 seconds.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 19, 2010 12:20:09 PM

3. Come on up to Canada -- we've got some stupid people up here, but nowhere near THAT stupid!

Posted by: Strepsi | Aug 19, 2010 12:25:28 PM

4. Funny, all the debate over his "real" religion. I think he's a closet agnostic.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 19, 2010 12:27:50 PM

5. This is all created by the Republican Party to make Obama look "scary". The Republican Party used fear tactics to take our Country to war, then after 9/11 the used colors to make all of us to be afraid of Terrorism and now they are using FEAT TACTICS to make the President look like he's a Muslim!! Only Idiots can fall for this shit! and then again how many people can pin point Canada on a map? Think About it! Ignorance is a Bliss in this Country!

Posted by: Sean | Aug 19, 2010 12:32:05 PM

6. I think the USA Today conveyed it best, "muslim" is code for 'not one of us'. Ignorant fools.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Aug 19, 2010 12:33:36 PM

7. @Strepsi: I'd love to come.
    Will you marry me or provide me with a work voucher?

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Aug 19, 2010 12:34:47 PM

8. We ALL know that Sarah Palin is a CHRISTIAN--the good, Bible-believing kind, not some Pissypalian or Unitarian or sumpin' like that.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Aug 19, 2010 12:37:15 PM

9. People read headlines, not stories.

We're a country of undereducated sheep being lead around by Fox news. Very sad.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 19, 2010 12:37:51 PM

10. I discern a vicious cycle:

1. The Republicans cut funding to schools
    2. Schools are no longer able to teach their students vital critical thinking skills
    3. The Republicans shovel this shit to the masses.
    4. The masses swallow it, hook, line, and sinker.
    5. The masses vote Republican.

cycle repeats.

Posted by: GregB | Aug 19, 2010 12:41:55 PM

11. Maybe he's a Gay, Muslim, illegal immigrant from Kenya.

The perfect trifecta of hated minorities.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 19, 2010 12:47:02 PM

12. GregB, I agree 100%. Keep the people ignorant, over worked, under paid, afraid - doesn't this sound awfully familiar? Stalin? N. Korea? Communism any one?

Amusing that Fox News, News Corp's, head honcho is married to Wendi Deng, a red card carrying Chinese woman who supports the Chinese Communist government with much of Rupert's billions. Fox News IS the anti-christ and they're support of the RNC is frightening.

Posted by: Cory | Aug 19, 2010 12:49:25 PM

13. @Cory Uh oh. The secrets out: www.escapeartist.com.

I've been a fan of that site for several years, particularly after the elections in 2004 when it appeared that the right-wing (especially the evangelical right-wing) was reaching the zenith of its power. I was certain that it was going to be necessary to emigrate overseas to a more "gay-friendly" country.

I still feel that way. It bothers me to read that 20% of Americans believe that Pres. Obama is a Muslim. It bothers me even more that the percentage has increased not decreased. It bothers me that an even larger percentage believe that Pres. Obama is not a natural-born U.S. citizen.

All of us may dismiss the "Tea Party", the "Take Back Our Country", the "Take Back Our Constitution" and the rest of the right-wing screaming-mimi movements, but we do so at our own peril.

It may get ugly in the near future. I'd prefer to stay and fight those bastard pricks. But, just in case, just in case... it is good to have a Plan B, a Plan C, just in case.

escapeartist.com has many good articles on how to organize such a move, what is needed (on both ends, the country you're leaving and the one you're going to), things to consider about living overseas, etc.

It also has some very good real estate listings in countries around the world. It's an interesting site. I recommend it very much.

I also recommend www.viviun.com.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 19, 2010 12:52:03 PM

14. PEW PEW PEW!

Well thats ok because 100% of the people polled believe in a fucking Star Baby popping out some virgin and inspiring a group of people into trying to take over the world.

So who cares what they think?

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 19, 2010 1:07:30 PM

15. ...and.. if he was? i dont understand why that would be such a big deal. what happened to division of church and state? watched a really sad documentary last night.. about the British Empire and its Christian indoctrination of African tribes in Kenya in the 30's and the Mau Mau rebellion. No, nothing to do with Obama, but lots to do about how crazy Christians are.. How dare they impose their own beliefs on others..and to think I'm even Catholic. I dont get it.. sad days.

Posted by: northoftheborder | Aug 19, 2010 1:10:37 PM

16. Good point, Fenrox. Consider we life in a world of fools.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 19, 2010 1:15:03 PM

17. *live

Posted by: Wes | Aug 19, 2010 1:30:11 PM

18. I want to know why Obama's religion is so important in a secular society! His religion is no ones business!

Posted by: Joe | Aug 19, 2010 1:35:47 PM

19. People don't even know what a fucking Muslim is, so naturally they assume Obama -- who is black and SCARY -- must be one.

We have such a fundementally stupid country that it drives me completely nuts.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 19, 2010 1:38:29 PM

20. First of all, 20% of Americans are profoundly stupid. Secondly, Islam has not been his lifelong practice of faith. Thirdly, it's not relevant in America. And fourth, I personally believe that he is a quiet atheist.

Posted by: boone68 | Aug 19, 2010 1:43:50 PM

21. Fenrox, it's only important because muslim is the new gay of the right wing. And if they can cast him as a muslim, people will hate him. Many already hate him because he's black. And all these haters vote. Otherwise you are right, nobody should care.

America since its inception has needed an enemy: the British, the Spanish, the French, the Russians, the Chinese, the Iraqis, the Iranians, the gays, the immigrants, the muslims. Americans just can't seem to get through their day without an enemy, without someone to hate. Hate-de-jour are the muslims because they want to build a cultural center a few blocks from Ground Zero. And many Americans believe they shouldn't be allowed...you know in spite of those pesky Amendments to the Constitution that allow them to. The same idiots (you know who you are Sarah Palin and FOX News) who are always crying about defending the Constitution and beating their chest as if that's what makes them American, are the very ones who believe that the muslims shouldn't have the right to build this center. (Look, I think it's simply a stupid idea but I understand that Constitutionality of it. I think Sarah Palin should never ever be allowed to speak in public because of her gross stupidity and blatant ignorance of the very stuff she says she's "defending" but I understand her Constitutional right to free speech.)

And who is this "media" that is fostering this ignorance? Easy enough, it's FOX News. And one would think that they could tell all their viewers, oh, I don't know, how about the truth, that Obama is not muslim. But do you really think that's going to happen with their agenda? With Murdoch's agenda?

It would be nice to believe that we are living in a secular society. But we all know that that is not true. People don't base votes or reasoning or common sense, on what is best for them or their family, they base it on religion. If they based it on common sense, do you really believe anyone making less that 100 grand a year would vote Republican? Do you think any gay person would? Any Latino? Any black? The Republican party has become the party of the very, very rich and for some reason (religion) a large portion of the population votes for them, even though they have their ass handed to them in almost every other aspect of their life...and the rich just keep getting richer.

I always want to believe that Americans are smart. But they aren't. They believe what they are fed, they don't read enough, and they vote mystically rather than rationally. And it's sad, because it seems that we are in a time when you say something loud enough, long enough, people believe it as truth.

This country has lost any sight of the truth. Not everybody in it, but sadly, enough people that it is starting to make a frightening difference.

Posted by: Bart | Aug 19, 2010 1:58:25 PM

22. A Muslim who attended a Christian Church for 20 years ? I hope these are the same 20% who thinks he isn't American. They probably don't believe his mother is White either

Posted by: Kim | Aug 19, 2010 2:01:43 PM

23. Further confirmation that leaving the US to live in Europe was the best thing I ever did. People in American are incredibly stupid and hate gay people. Why waste your life living there?

Posted by: PeteS | Aug 19, 2010 2:21:31 PM

24. Petes: How'd you do it? Was it easy or a painstaking process? And if you're in a country that has gay marriage, marry me? lol :)

Posted by: Cory | Aug 19, 2010 2:25:18 PM

25. Totally agree with the hate du jour theory. I've often thought that the only way gays are ever gonna be accepted, legally and socially, is when Americans move on to someone else to hate, be it immigrants or Muslims or gingers.

But then I remember that I have a soul, so that's not an acceptable solution. I guess I'm counting on an alien invasion or pesky robot uprising to finally unite humankind.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 19, 2010 2:25:18 PM