Film | Josh Helmin | Julia Roberts | News | Ryan Murphy

Towleroad Interview: Julia Roberts Talks 'Eat Pray Love', Gay Rights

Roberts

Guestblogger JOSH HELMIN

Not long ago I had the opportunity to fly out to Napa, California, (with my best friend, Josh K.) for the Eat Pray Love press junket. When I finally sat down opposite Julia Roberts for our chat, I explained that I was from a gay news outlet so that she wouldn't be surprised when a couple of the questions skewed gay. She smiled and laughed and said, 'Well, good. I like a little brightness first thing in the morning.'"

She has a great sense of humor, and isn't afraid to unleash the famous $20 million laugh (see it at 3:05 in the video below, along with aforementioned sense of humor), and also had some great things to say about gay equality and acceptance, not only in the countries where Eat Pray Love was filmed, but also at home here in the United States. Julia hasn't said much in the press about gay rights and equality, so we're proud to bring you this exclusive interview, along with some additional discussion with director Ryan Murphy.

Eat Pray Love opens everywhere Friday.

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I am looking forward to the sequel, Eat Pray Queef.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 12, 2010 11:14:51 AM

2. I love her so much! She makes me smile. Thanks for this interview.

Posted by: MykeTV | Aug 12, 2010 11:19:55 AM

3. hahah...hopefully this is the old good classic Julia = a goodtime at the movies.

Posted by: Bosie | Aug 12, 2010 11:20:26 AM

4. And the gay version -- Eat Fuck Snap.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 12, 2010 11:22:29 AM

5. Now David, the gay version is actually:

Brunch Dish Drill Like a New York Sidewalk

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Aug 12, 2010 11:35:43 AM

6. can we look forward to a moment w/ Javier Bardem? ;)

Does T-Road have a Spanish counterpart?

Posted by: stephen | Aug 12, 2010 11:46:17 AM

7. dear god, what awful, predictable, unoriginal questions. the hapless interviewer couldn't even memorize his questions or ask the questions in a spontaneous manner. he had to read his simple questions! horrible horrible horrible interviewer. geesh. Love Towleroad, but can't you find someone who can do better??? we deserve better, honestly.

Posted by: mepaul | Aug 12, 2010 11:48:37 AM

8. Great interview and a beautiful subject. I think this movie will be wonderful.

Posted by: Bobby | Aug 12, 2010 11:58:13 AM

9. @ MEPAUL

Agreed.
    As if Julia would go "No, gays are an abomination, you'll be able to get married in hell".
    Anyhow, Julia is sweet and looks great.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 12, 2010 12:02:10 PM

10. I would go see this movie, but I'm not menstruating this weekend.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 12, 2010 12:03:38 PM

11. I agree, the interviewer was terrible.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 12, 2010 12:11:20 PM

12. Boring, boring interview. You have Julia Roberts sitting in front of you, and all you can think to ask is "What do you hope people will take away from this film?" Sheesh! Somebody take away their press pass!

Posted by: BOOOOOORRRRRING | Aug 12, 2010 12:28:37 PM

13. @ MEPAUL also agree. I used to interview at these movie junkets, and these poor actors have to sit through hours and hours of the same, inane questions. You have to come up with something a little different, offbeat, unexpected. You can also tell in an instant when an interviewer is too impressed with his subject – as Josh clearly is here – and it's squirm-inducing.

Sorry, Josh, you're adorable, but you need to raise your game.

Posted by: Rascal | Aug 12, 2010 1:00:41 PM

14. movin on up to the east side we finally got ...

Posted by: sal | Aug 12, 2010 1:20:04 PM

15. Love, love, love her. Now I want to see the movie.

Posted by: RJ | Aug 12, 2010 1:44:54 PM

16. Another movie to avoid like aids. Hmmmm, julia roberts' "thoughts on life" or testicular cancer...buridan's ass.

Those poor poor actors who have to "endure" interview after interview to promote movies that they were paid millions of dollars to be in as every whim was catered to...and all they had to do was "act"....awwwwww, I feel so sorry for them.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 12, 2010 3:24:08 PM

17. All of these interviews are trivial and how I long to never see this unattractive woman again...

Posted by: True Words | Aug 12, 2010 3:50:56 PM

18. EAT, LOVE, QUEEF . . . I agree with that. Julio Roberts gives me night terrors involving teeth. As for Ryan Murphy, I kinda like her. And that interviewer is THE SISTER!

Posted by: Dragalicous | Aug 12, 2010 5:06:35 PM

19. THERE ARE MORE PLUGS IN THAT CLIP THAN THERE ARE IN ALL OF THE PLANET'S PRACTICING BATH HOUSE BOTTOMS !

Posted by: THE HOLE TRUTH | Aug 12, 2010 5:10:34 PM

20. I've always loved Roberts. I know she and Wesley Snipes are notoriously bad tippers according to Bitterwaitress.com, but she's still a doll in my book. I'd love to make her lunch (and we can even pray beforehand).

Posted by: Dback | Aug 12, 2010 5:48:42 PM

21. I can't wait to see this movie. Loved the book!! @ DBACK, she is not a bad tipper, I have served her several times and tops very well. Who believes a Bitter waitress anyways? The name says it all.

Posted by: Vegas | Aug 12, 2010 8:46:11 PM

22. I also loved the book & hoping the movie lives up to it. An interview with the book's writer, Elizabeth Gilbert, would have been nice too. She has some eloquent things to say about gay marriage in her last book 'Commited.'

Posted by: scar2 | Aug 12, 2010 9:29:56 PM

23. OMG, could the host of that video have a stronger gay accent. I'd seriously run the other way if he came anywhere near me.

Posted by: Allan D | Aug 12, 2010 11:25:27 PM

24. 45 gwm...has big crush ....still (i do mean me)

Posted by: KT | Aug 13, 2010 2:35:23 AM

25. Somali-music.com is committed to protecting your privacy online. We are also committed to providing you with the very best experience we can on our web site. In order to enhance your experience at our sites we gather certain personal.

Posted by: somali music | Aug 13, 2010 5:46:11 AM