Activism | Minnesota | News | Queer Rising | Target

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Activists Make 'Bigot Special' Target Store Announcement

Store_target

These Target managers aren't happy with the announcement activist group Queer Rising just made over the P.A. system to all its shoppers:

"Good afternoon Target shoppers. When shopping at Target, know that your money is fueling hate and discrimination. Today's bigot special - two-ply toilet tissue. Cause when you're full of shit like Target is, you need something to wipe the shame with."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. WOW. Kahonés.

Posted by: Brendan | Aug 20, 2010 10:47:20 AM

2. I have to say this is so ridiculous, the people who work for target are not the people that made the donations, they are just hard working individuals trying to get by like everyone else, Protesters should be lining up outside the corporate offices and finding more effective ways to protest this instead of just finding a way to make it on youtube..

Posted by: Corey Thompson | Aug 20, 2010 10:50:09 AM

3. WHEN is this Target crap going to end? Why aren't people going after the 80% of major businesses that support the Republican party even more?

Posted by: Billy | Aug 20, 2010 10:50:16 AM

4. Breaker Breaker one-niner; we have a code six-niner in the front of the store.

Did you she birtha get all in your face badass....after they were leaving? Too funny.

Posted by: Peter | Aug 20, 2010 10:51:55 AM

5. I'm glad someone has the guts to do this.

Posted by: Troy | Aug 20, 2010 10:52:56 AM

6. Honestly let's go after the real bad guys. i agree with Billy.

Posted by: frank | Aug 20, 2010 11:00:48 AM

7. I hope these guys got nailed for trespassing.

Posted by: Dave from Chicago | Aug 20, 2010 11:01:29 AM

8. HA that's fantastic, whether you agree with it or not, fantastic...

Posted by: Cory | Aug 20, 2010 11:07:57 AM

9. This is getting a little out of hand. The only thing this did is make the employees' day more difficult. They're not the one's who made the donations. Take your protest to the Target headquarters where the real bad guys are.

Posted by: Chris K | Aug 20, 2010 11:12:16 AM

10. Well, I'm on the fence, but I'm siding with the announcers on this one. If you are an employee of the company, you might want to let them know if you don't support a corporate activity that has made it embarrassing to work for them. Obviously, those dipshit execs aren't letting the HRC get through to them, so perhaps widespread public embarrassment coupled with the shareholder anger reported today might make a difference that picketing one building likely wouldn't. Also, Dave, if they care enough about the issue to do this, I doubt they are afraid of a trespassing misdemeanor, so if that's supposed to scare people from doing what's right, then I guess we have different viewpoints on things.

Posted by: Joey Y | Aug 20, 2010 11:12:38 AM

11. As the song says: "Target aint people so why should it be allowed to mess around with our democracy?"

Target's board should be the ones getting the protests but I think any pressure on them is good pressure. As to the idea that 80% of the businesses that support Rebubs should be the ones protested, Target is being targeted because they claim to be on our side so that makes them hypocrites.

Posted by: Rann | Aug 20, 2010 11:15:26 AM

12. a lots of employees from target have the same mentality as target corp. that's way they work there, and it really doesn't matter if they gave the money or not, you just don't feel welcome there,and to sadness all of the retail companies make you feel the same way , you used to go shopping because there was always good customer service and people were always nice to you , now it feels like all the way around , like you have to be nice to the people working there or they don't give you good service, most of the time they don't know anything and they get bother if you ask questions,or simply you don't exist and if you complain they laugh at your back i know is not much the pay but then you should get other job that pays better or get a job you might like,this is not a complaining rant , is just not looking good anywhere you go , there is always drama not concerning to you but somehow becomes your drama and you have to get involved

Posted by: josepe | Aug 20, 2010 11:18:22 AM

13. While I agree that corporate needs to be targeted, I say targeted "as well as" the stores, not "instead of"

So it made the employees' day more difficult -- their company made our lives more difficult. This is about educating the consumers of Target, and education works, as does economic freedom of speech / boycotts.

I am old enough to remember boycotts of COors and Nestle, and I will not go to Hyatt hotels or support Jamaica today -- these things WORK.

Plus, I am glad to see Queer Rising -- we need a new in-your-face Queer Nation / ACT UP type of group as well as lobby groups....

Posted by: Strepsi | Aug 20, 2010 11:21:26 AM

14. Arguing about boycotts is something prissy fags sit around and do while sipping their fancy foreign beer. Real activism is actually getting off your ass and writing a cheque to the queer/queer-friendly charity of your choice. Real activism is more than just not shopping at this discount store versus that one. Real activism is more than just pranking Target.

Boycott Target if if fills you with that much pride, but help the many worthy LGBT charities out there while you're at it. Donate, volunteer, get active. We haven't come this far by whining, but by doing.

Posted by: Tone | Aug 20, 2010 11:27:53 AM

15. @Corey Thompson

"they are just hard working individuals trying to get by like everyone else"

That's right. I work very hard for the...

plantation owner, he owns the slaves, not me

for the construction company that won't hire minorities, has nothing to do with me

Catholic (or Mormon) Church that promotes anti gay ballot initiatives, but I like the gays.

Shall I go on?

Posted by: qjersey | Aug 20, 2010 11:28:32 AM

16. "a lots of employees from target have the same mentality as target corp. that's way they work there"

Wow, that is some simple logic. And also just not true. The Target PAC, which its employees contribute to, gives about 50% of its contributions each election cycle to Democrat and progressive candidates.

As for why they work there, I seriously doubt the average Target employee who earns about $8 per hour is turning down job offers left and right so they can work for an employer who supports their same political causes.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 20, 2010 11:33:37 AM

17. Same trolls endlessly complaining when someone actually expresses their anger in concrete ways. It doesn't matter whether these protests change target...they change the protesters. They increase their feelings of self-worth and esteem by tangibly expressing their feelings of hurt and anger against the corporation that hurt them.

And the employees go home arguing over it. some agreed or didn't. Same with the customers. And if enough of us - trolls included - got of our asses and joined in instead of complaining endlessly about the people who are actually doing something (like all the mewling about Dan Choi we've witnessed), then Target would see a drop in sales and that would speak much much more loudly than polite "protests" at headquarters in Minneapolis.

More, please. Much more.

Posted by: Jonathon Edwards | Aug 20, 2010 11:35:07 AM

18. You can clearly see that the woman making this announcement is talking into a mic with a cord leading to a bullhorn on the floor.

They were not using the "P.A. system" as the article states.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 20, 2010 11:40:48 AM

19. Jonathan: That's exactly what I stated about a posting regarding San Diego marriage license protestors. Some people don't understand, it's not just the message, it's the feeling of belonging and pride that comes with uniting under a common cause, speaking up for our civil rights and working to make equality for EVERYONE a reality. How many of the average Target shoppers even know about this issue? I gather not many. The little things do make a difference.

Posted by: Cory | Aug 20, 2010 11:45:34 AM

20. This is Fantastic! These types of things have legs across the web and educate the general public to what's going on in our society. For those who think this is not the way to do things, I am sure people said the same thing when Rosa Parks pulled her stunt and refused to move to the back of the bus.

Posted by: Justin Elzie | Aug 20, 2010 11:49:22 AM

21. FYI they have the right to protest within a certain distance from the store. That nasty manager who refused to even acknowledge their rights is not correct. LET HER call the police. The most they can do it state their right to protest as long as no one is blocked from entering, their right to free speech, and if they don't like it, they can shove it up their collective red shirt asses.

Posted by: Cory | Aug 20, 2010 11:49:55 AM

22. I'm sorry that the employees are getting caught in the middle of this mess but at the end of the day it basically comes down to one thing - money. When you target corporate offices it's hardly noticed. The efforts roll off like water on a duck's back. When you target the store it hits the pocket and stock holders don't like that. The corporate offices are not happy that their stores are being affected so they are dealing with unhappy stock holders, employees and stepping up security measures. I'm an out gay man and until everyone has the courage to come out and say I'm not going to take being a second class citizen anymore, I'll be grateful to those that are willing to protest. If you think about it, most great protests throughout history were taken to the frontline and not to the corporate headquarters. Not all have been successful but all were noted across the world.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 20, 2010 11:51:30 AM

23. Bravo to the protesters and well done! I hope to see more of this kind of thing in Chicago. Target has a huge gay following in Chicago and just opened a new store that the gays fell over themselves to shop at. So far we have had one protest at that new location.

Posted by: Mitch | Aug 20, 2010 11:56:21 AM

24. Just my 2 cents here.

I work for a Target store part-time. I'm also gay. I don't agree with what corporate did with their donations. However, I also know they are about diversity (maybe not as much as I would like but it's a start). They mention a zero tolerance policy about discrimination regarding race, religion, sexual orientation, etc etc.

That said, I have expressed my outrage to my HR manager regarding the whole donation thing. She feels the same. Many in our store do. What can be done? Contacting the corporate offices. May not help, but at least they know their team members disapprove.

As for the protest in the store....I'm all for protests and picketing. I've done my fair share...however, going into the business like that and doing what they did does NOTHING for the cause in my book. All it did was make the activists look like spoiled bratty children who pulled a childish prank. It disrupted business and it offended the guests in the store.

@Josepe above....I don't know which Target you shop at, but at mine we have a reputation of being VERY friendly and helpful towards our guests and knowledgable of our stock. If we don't know where something is, we ask another team member. We have been highly complimented on our politeness and courtesy and the fact we are much friendlier and better than the neighboring Walmart. I'm just saying.....

Also, regarding getting a better job....Target offers flex hours and it quite accomodating towards single parents with children in daycare and school. They will WORK with your schedule to make sure you have time with your children whenever possible. The pay ain't the greatest, trust me, but in this economy it beats not having any job at all and being out on the street or in a shelter.

Posted by: Worker | Aug 20, 2010 11:57:33 AM

25. Oh yeah, hijacking the PA and swearing into it is a GREAT way to convince haters that we're not godless degenerates.

Posted by: Bakeley | Aug 20, 2010 12:08:13 PM