Art and Design | Banksy | Deepwater Horizon | Great Britain | News

Watch: Banksy Targets BP Oil Spill with Dolphin Ride

Banksy

Street artist/prankster Banksy has unveiled his latest work, a dolphin ride for children on the boardwalk in the English seaside resort town of Brighton. This coin-operated dolphin is seen leaping over a BP barrel of leaking oil.

Watch it in action, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love how unaware the people milling around seem to be. I can't even tell if the mum taking pictures noticed.

Posted by: Ricola | Aug 31, 2010 12:23:06 PM

2. sometimes art is a better response than outrage.

I heart banksy.

Posted by: ant | Aug 31, 2010 12:29:12 PM

3. Too bad he couldn't have set it up in the Gulf Coast area.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 31, 2010 1:04:27 PM

4. I wish I were in Brighton. That thing would be disappearing in the middle of the night and reappearing in my living room.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Aug 31, 2010 1:17:03 PM

5. @ D.R.H.

If you're being serious (and you probably are, because lots of people do what you speak of) you disgust me. It makes me sick when I think of the thought process going through their heads, "Oh look, a piece of art that is meant to be enjoyed by all, I think I'll just steal it ALL FOR MYSELF, because I am the only person that matters".

Posted by: Eric26 | Aug 31, 2010 10:32:46 PM

6. @eric26, boohoo you pansy. leave something valuable out in public and it will be taken.

Posted by: gr1 | Sep 1, 2010 3:24:54 PM

7. Banksy's Latest Target: BP

British graffiti artist (and self-described art terrorist) Banksy is well-known for taking on brands such as Tesco, which he incorporates above (and has co-opted for an anti-Warhol soup can) or British Telecom, which he attacked by taking an axe to a phone box (BT took it in stride). His latest target is another British brand, BP, which he spoofs with a whole new spin on "pier pressure." Check it out after the jump.

In his latest prank, Banksy reconditioned a kids' dolphin ride to incorporate the BP oil spill, and snuck it onto the pier at England's Brighton Beach

Posted by: vi nam | Oct 14, 2011 3:54:00 AM