BBC's 'Lip Service,' The Next 'Queer As Folk?'

Tesslipservice

BBC this month premieres a new six-episode lesbian dramedy called Lip Service, about a group of lesbian friends living in Scotland.

Apparently the show's so steamy and addictive, it's already being compared to Queer as Folk, the seminal man-on-man series that sparked a U.S. spin-off.

Get acquainted with one of Lip Service's most endearing characters, Tess, who clearly handles crisis with a bit of humor, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh, please, give me a break. This Lip Service show is simply a case of lipstick lesbians with long, flowing hair. They're designed to appeal to sleazy straight guys who have a fetish for girl-girl action. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these women have husbands or boyfriends behind the scenes who are directing this marketing ploy.

Go away, girls. You're serving patriarchy, and not the GLBT cause.

Posted by: jason | Sep 27, 2010 10:07:53 AM

2. As a woman who wears lipstick, has long, flowing hair, and who loves other women, can I just be the first to say: fuck off, Jason.

Posted by: Sasha | Sep 27, 2010 10:31:34 AM

3. "You're serving patriarchy, and not the GLBT cause."
    Mary, you need dick much more than any of these gals.

Posted by: topher | Sep 27, 2010 10:46:57 AM

4. Oh please. I can spot at least two girls in that clip who look more butch

Posted by: Steve | Sep 27, 2010 11:22:33 AM

5. I shared a house at uni with a scottish lesbian - she was strikingly pretty and very witty and wise.

Posted by: arch | Sep 27, 2010 12:12:24 PM

6. I've recently become a huge Queer as Folk fan. It was a little before my time - I just graduated college - and I started watching it on LOGO a while back, which was a mistake since it's so edited and, you know, it's LOGO. Anyways I think it's a spectacular show and it's been a nice break from life for a gay boy forced to move home from college in NYC to small town Connecticut.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Sep 27, 2010 5:02:56 PM

7. I have short cropped hair, love boys, but now I've added Sasha to my list!

Posted by: Piet | Sep 28, 2010 6:02:24 AM

8. Learn from the L Word -- hot women, even if played by straight women, will make a hit show. We can't wait! Join fans at
    http://LipServiceFans.com for discussion, news, fanfiction, and more!

Posted by: LipServiceFans.com | Sep 28, 2010 7:59:18 AM

9. Having watched this piece of PATRIARCHAL SEXIST PROPAGANDA I have been BRAINWASHED into DENOUNCING MY HOMOSEXUAL STATUS and becoming a LEERING STRAIGHT MAN, obsessed with LIPSTICK LESBIANS with FLOWING HAIR.

Or not. Actually, I don't have any strong opinions, but it looks quite good so I'll watch it. And if you don't have strong opinions, please comment more - we are an antidote to an internet full of Jasons.

Posted by: Tom Stoppard | Sep 28, 2010 10:54:46 AM

10. looks great.

Posted by: hassia | Feb 27, 2011 9:59:55 AM

11. I am a pretty- fem lesbian (more like Lexy's character).. Over the last week I watched both seasons on Netflix and I am completely in love.

Posted by: SM | Aug 20, 2012 12:14:57 AM