Brian Ellner | Gay Marriage | Human Rights Campaign | Julianne Moore | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Julianne Moore Appears in First Ad in HRC Series of New Yorkers for Marriage Equality

Moore

In July I posted about a new effort by the Human Rights Campaign toward marriage equality in New York. The Campaign for New York Marriage, headed by Brian Ellner, has just launched the first in a series of ads intended to lobby public support for the issue.

The NYT reports:

"The timing of commercials is deliberate, and revealing: With the front-runner in the governor’s race, Andrew M. Cuomo, the Democratic attorney general, pledging his support for same-sex marriage, and the Legislature in Democratic hands, advocates are pushing for a new vote early next year. 'We want to build excitement and momentum in advance of that,' said Ellner...As part of that strategy, the Human Rights Campaign and its allies are spending heavily to oust three New York state senators — all Democrats — who voted against the marriage bill last year and who face opponents in the primary on Tuesday: William Stachowski of Buffalo, Shirley L. Huntley of Queens and Rubén Díaz Sr. of the Bronx."

Along with Moore, the ads will feature  Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg,  Rev. Al Sharpton Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick, Whoopi Goldberg, Fran Drescher, Tom Colicchio,  and Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe, the widow of Arthur Ashe.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love Julianne Moore. Nice to see her do this.

But, shouldn't they really be targeting New Yorkers in rural areas or the ones upstate as well. I think this is great for NYC - but I suspect many there are pro-equality, where pressure needs to be put in other areas.

Posted by: Joe | Sep 13, 2010 11:08:35 PM

2. While this is laudable and I love Julianne Moore, I think it's notable that the words "gay and lesbian" are never used nor are there any pictures of couples (gay or straight) in the ad.

Posted by: nuflux | Sep 13, 2010 11:23:47 PM

3. I don't see why the words gay or lesbian are at all necessary in a discussion of marriage equality. Those two types of people are not the only ones affected by marriage equality, so why single them out? Equality is for everyone. That's what the discussion is and that's what it should be.

As to seeing couples, I think we all know what a couple looks like. Given the option to look at two random strangers or Julianne Moore, I'd rather look at Julianne Moore.

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 14, 2010 12:22:11 AM

4. I have to second NUFLUX's concern. It seems pretty clear that the No on 8 campaigned made a big mistake by not featuring happy gay families (as Maine's almost and Washington's successful campaigns did). Most of what people, upstate and down, is what they don't know. Showing the voters who we actually are, makes a big difference.

P.S. I love J Moore!

Posted by: David R. | Sep 14, 2010 12:43:34 AM

5. What about Cynthia Nixon and her family?

Posted by: David R. | Sep 14, 2010 12:44:28 AM

6. I love her

Posted by: beegee | Sep 14, 2010 12:55:41 AM

7. how dare her take our gay money....[being sacastic]

Posted by: KB | Sep 14, 2010 3:18:37 AM

8. I Love Moore.

But why are the last words "Please Donate" Instead of Contact your "State Senator, ect."

Posted by: Will | Sep 14, 2010 7:01:20 AM

9. Al Sharpton our moral compass?? Did he bring Tawana Brawley along??

Many of the New Yorkers we need to win over will never take seriously anythign promoted by Rev. Charlatan. Typical bonehead move by HRC.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Sep 14, 2010 7:02:48 AM

10. Who are the celebs from Buffalo, Queens and the Bronx who still have connections there? If they want to throw the Dems from those districts out, they'd better speak to the people from there - not the the already converted in NYC. And, I agree - It would not kill the effort to mention that lesbian and gay couples are the people we are talking about in the code words of "marriage equality." Time to come out!

Posted by: Paula Ettelbrick | Sep 14, 2010 8:13:48 AM

11. Yes, HRC is clearly preaching to the choir again. They are having fun spending money on things that they think are cool and hip but will not reach the people it needs to reach.

Always nice to see Julianne, however.

Posted by: Burt | Sep 14, 2010 8:35:05 AM

12. My partner and I live in Potsdam, NY, and while the village here is fairly progressive, the surrounding areas are VERY conservative. I fear if left up to the locals, it will be a LONG time before marriage equality comes to New York. I have contacted my state represntative about marriage equality and heard NOTHING in response. Thankfully we can go to Vermont or Canada and get married and have our marriage recognized by the state of New York.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 14, 2010 8:42:16 AM

13. No, it's a good list of people to use in ads. Getting marriage equality requires getting out urban voters -- rural voters are unlikely to support equality no matter what.

Posted by: K in VA | Sep 14, 2010 8:58:34 AM

14. She is great, as always.

But the ad is useless.

HRC is totally useless.

Posted by: mike nyc | Sep 14, 2010 9:24:34 AM

15. Did they forget Syracuse, Utica, Rome, Watertown, Rochester? They are also New York State. Oh, I forgot! If it's not on one of the coasts, IT DOESN'T EXIST!!!

Posted by: mad1026 | Sep 14, 2010 12:24:19 PM

16. I love Julianne Moore, but the HRC can go fuck itself. It's a useless organisation which perpetuates the status-quo and parasitises off of the LGBTQ community.

It's sad how people actually think that supporting the HRC does anything to bring about equality.

Posted by: Craig | Sep 14, 2010 2:21:17 PM

17. So NY is following the CA model. Celebrities just don't cut it. Needed: real people lobbying their politicians one-on-one. "You're my state senator too..."

Posted by: BillyBoy | Sep 14, 2010 2:42:38 PM

18. Wow. Julianne Moore is like totally exploiting the gay community for her own personal gain. Stop segregating us into "groups" that want their "rights" and "advocating" for us just so that we'll go to see your movies and vote you best dressed at all the awards shows.

I am outraged I tell you. Outraged.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Sep 14, 2010 3:52:21 PM

19. Have none of you silly boys heard "think globally, act locally"? The message has to start somewhere. All you pretty New Yahkahs have friends and relatives throughout the state of New York. Are you showing them what "marriage equality" is? No, you're too busy bellyaching about some celeb selling out. Come on. Get off your tainted little behinds and go door to door in Pohdunk and show Mr and Mrs Hetero what marriage equality means. That's what we're doing here in H8 country.

Posted by: Justice | Sep 15, 2010 2:38:28 AM

20. It appears that few of you have the slightest idea of how to win a political campaign, how to influence legislators, or how to build the perception of overwhelming strength. Politics 1.01: perception is reality in politics. The ads are an excellent idea to move liberals to push their legislators -- something that so far has failed because one or two senatorial Neanderthals stood firmly in the way of progress. Rural voters may never be ready for progress -- but the entire population of Erie County would fit easily into the Bronx, with plenty of room to spare. If every legislator in Erie County votes no, it won't matter so long as every legislator from the Bronx votes yes.

Posted by: wimsy | Sep 15, 2010 7:19:23 PM

21. Why didn't the ad say why people should support the fight for marriage equality? I agree, I would like to see gay and lesbian couples and their families more centrally positioned in the advocacy. If this is primarily about preaching to the choir to raise money, well then I'm afraid that it does open up the well-intentioned HRC effort to criticism of being another top down operation. There is a room for this ad campaign in the larger effort, but as the first ad out of the gate, I'm not surprised there are skeptics and naysayers. HRC has so much baggage and history (remember their endorsement of D'Amato in the NY Senate race?) that they need to tread extra carefully. I wish the well-intentioned HRC activists all the best in what they are trying to accomplish. We need to hear many voices, including critics. But engagement, participation and action is vital.

Posted by: Lavi Soloway | Sep 16, 2010 11:19:57 AM