Crime | News | Orlando

Man Attacked By Teen Gang in Orlando Anti-Gay Hate Crime

Orlando

An Orlando man says he feared for his life after he was attacked by a gang of nine teens in Orlando:

"A-20-year-old man told deputies he was walking in the area of Long and Barbara roads when he was approached by the group. The victim told investigators he was asked whether he was gay before the attack. 'One asked if I was gay, and I said, 'What if I am?'' the unidentified victim said. The victim, who said he is bisexual, didn't want to use his name because he is scared of the people who attacked him. 'The next thing I know, I felt somebody hit me from behind, and then they punched me,' the victim said. The victim said the attackers first asked to use his cell phone and then chased him across a field off Clarcona-Ocoee Road. He said he felt a hand grab his neck. 'I have a busted lip on the inside,' the victim said. Investigators with the Orange County Sheriff's Office said because he was targeted because of his sexual orientation, the case will be investigated as a hate crime."

Watch an interview with the victim here.

Comments

1. 9 on 1. Always the same 'courageous ' way to attack a gay man. Cowards

Posted by: Dani | Sep 15, 2010 1:10:32 PM

2. Shameful... and cowardly on the part of the attackers as usual.

Here's another question: Why is victim in quotation marks in the news interview? When I see something like that it makes me thing they don't believe he was victimized...

Posted by: Steve | Sep 15, 2010 2:44:59 PM

3. Is that the real victim. He doesn't want to use his name, but he'll go in front of cameras?

Posted by: Joe | Sep 15, 2010 3:53:52 PM

4. Why is the word "victim" in quotations on their chyron?

Posted by: allnighter | Sep 15, 2010 4:48:52 PM

5. I think victim is in quotation marks because he didn't want to use his real name. But why did he appear on camera?

Posted by: Kevinintexas | Sep 15, 2010 5:38:46 PM

6. Florida is so fucking hot and humid...and flat. I don't know what the fuck people see in it. The beaches, fishing, scuba diving are nice, but that's it.

2) Flat, boring landscape...very swampy

3) High levels of toxic mold

4) SCI-FI type insects

5) Very high unemployment and low wages

6) Very high violent crime rate

Sorry to be mean spirited, but it's true.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 15, 2010 10:40:58 PM

7. They're using "victim" because the crime is, so far, only alleged. Journalistic integrity. The press is not a blog like Towleroad that makes up stories or tells half-truths. With some of the fake "hate crimes" in the past it's safer to say "victim."

Posted by: BornIntheCity | Sep 15, 2010 10:43:09 PM

8. Fake hate crimes are epidemic in America. Assholes have cried wolf so many times that when real hate crimes occur many people have doubts.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 15, 2010 10:57:35 PM

9. Tell me RATBASTARD, just where do you live that is so perfect? Reading your cryptic comments on my home state infuriates me. Obviously you have spent little time in Florida and have not been to much of it. For starters I’ll answer your six incorrect assumptions and other comments.

“Florida is so fucking hot and humid...and flat.”
    Florida is not flat. You want flat head to Kansas or Nebraska. Florida is gentle rolling hills with thousands of lakes.

“I don't know what the fuck people see in it. The beaches, fishing, scuba diving are nice, but that's it.”
    Apparently you never left the beach. Personally I prefer the forest. Which is where I live by the way, on top of a hill overlooking one of the largest rivers in America. It is also one of the few rivers of the world that run north.

“1) Hot and oppressively high dew points and humidity for much of the year...year round in south Florida”
    Being closer to the Equator than the rest of the country it is only natural that the weather be warmer.

“2) Flat, boring landscape...very swampy”
    Yes, a very unique swamp it is too. The Florida Everglades is the only place on the entire planet with such an environment.

“3) High levels of toxic mold”
    This one makes me laugh so much I can hardly respond. Where ever did you dream this one up from? Molds and mildews are easily removed with fresh dry air. But if you never turn the air-conditioner off…

“4) SCI-FI type insects”
    Yes a lot of SCI-FI movies have been filmed here, “Creatures from the Black Lagoon” is an old favorite. But then the Tarzan movies did bring us a lot of monkeys. Seems the Hollywood types did not know monkeys could swim. As for insects, if it were not for some “bright northern scientists” we would not have those lovely Love-bugs. They were imported to lessen our mosquito population. About the only thing worse than Love-bugs are the Snow-Birds.

“5) Very high unemployment and low wages”
    Highest unemployment in the United states is in the north-east. Florida is in the south. Lower wages, sure. Lower wages fit right along with low cost of living. When comparing only wages Florida is lower, but compare total cost of living and the dollar goes much farther. But then that’s why the Snow-Birds love coming here because everything is so much cheaper to buy.

“6) Very high violent crime rate”
    Washington DC has the highest in the country, followed by New York. You had best go look up the statistics.

“Florida is where a lot of America's losers who can't make it where they live end up, either in low wage jobs or unemployed.”
    Now here is where I totally agree with you, Florida is where a lot of America's losers who can't make it where they live end up. As each year our population grows and grows with more and more Snow-Birds coming to stay year round instead of just for the “season”. And to further quote you, “Sorry to be mean spirited, but it's true.” Oh, it is so true. After having destroyed the environment and the economy of where they originated a lot of America's losers who can't make it where they live end up here in Florida.
    Then they proceed to tell us natives what we are or have done that is wrong and how it is or was so much better back up north. To which I always have and will respond to with glee, “If it is so darn much better there than go back.”

Of all of the things that have happened here in Florida in my lifetime the worst have all come from the north. With their lies and misconceptions, their prejudices against virtually everything and their holier than thou attitudes. Each year they swarm like locusts devouring and trashing everything then returning north leaving the mess to be cleaned up by others.

I have spent most of my life and life time traveling all over this planet as a child following my fathers work and as an adult working for this country. Nowhere have I found people to be as arrogant as those from the northern states of this country. Throughout Europe and Asia Americans are looked down upon because of this attitude. It did not take me long to discover that if I said I was from the South their attitude changed towards me. Traveling all over this country and Canada it was the same feeling. Did Southern Charm precede me or had an arrogant yank?
    So to you, RATBASTARD and those that think as you do I ask only one small favor. Do not come to Florida. We like our water clean, don’t bring your dirt. Stay the heck back wherever the rock was that you crawled out from under. Florida is a great place to live and raise families and it will stay that way as long as your type stay away. Now for the rest of the people out there…, come on down the water is fine. There is a lot more here than just the beaches and Mickey Mouse. There are rolling hills, forests, rivers, lakes and the worlds finest fishing both fresh and salt. National Forests and unique nature preserves unlike any else world wide. Florida is a great and friendly place with so much to see and do it would take a book to just list it all. You will enjoy your visit no matter luxury hotel or secluded campground. Key West to St. Augustine, nations oldest city, to Pensacola it is a big state with a touch of something for everyone. And some nice prisons if you choose to break our laws. Don’t get me wrong, we’re friendly but we do have our Southern Pride.

Posted by: Bear | Sep 16, 2010 7:55:32 AM

10. @BEAR, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT ABOUT FLORIDA. AND RATBASTARD, YOU ARE AN IGNORANT TURD!

Posted by: CHRISTOPHERS DAD | Sep 16, 2010 8:03:23 PM

11. Bear,

....My post about Florida being for losers, being too hot, flat, etc., was written tongue in cheek.

Alright....let me preface by saying I'M NOT anti-southern, don't disrespect southerners, etc., etc. IN FACT:

1) I have very close (1st and 2nd cousins) southern relatives and have immediate family members who live south of the Mason-Dixon line.

2) I've visited many American states including most in the deep southeast. More than once. In fact, I've been all over the world, and yes, I've served my country. I'm a vet. I know SOME southerners really get off thinking they're more patriotic than especially people from the northeast. Bullshit. That's a stereotype, just like the numerous stereotypes you kindly mentioned regarding northerners (READ: people from the northeast) Numerous times people have posted on this board bigoted anti-southern stereotypes. Whenever I've come across this, I've always posted a response condemning bigoted comments, even though I am not from the south. I say this not because I think southerners can't defend themselves or need me to defend them on this board.

...Now, MANY other Americans ROUTINELY ridicule and mock the people and place where I was born and grew up (NYC and New England, specifically Mass.) Our accents are mocked and laughed at. New Yorkers are routinely and almost universally ridiculed for allegedly being mean, loud, obnoxious (a GROSS stereotype and quite untrue; MOST are just as decent as any other American) New Englanders are almost universally ridiculed as being cold, unfriendly, snobs; again quite untrue and a gross stereotype. And when you use the word Yank / Yankee, the real New England Yankees are some of the coolest, friendliest people you'll find anywhere. And if you visit Boston understand many of the people you meet aren't from here, but the real natives are, once you get to know them, fine people. The snob thing comes from the many fine schools located here.

...I and others like me get here in the northeast (and places like California) really get annoyed by the ENDLESS smack SOME southerners talk about how they're better Americans, more patriotic, blah, blah, blah....so SOME southerners are as equally guilty of bigotry and stereotyping non-southerners (READ: Yankees) as are SOME Yankees.

...I realize Florida is geographically a fairly large state. Regarding the OPPRESSIVELY hot weather, I made the distinction between south and north Florida. As for being flat, compared to where I'm from Bear, it's flat. There are no mountains in Florida? It's a pretty flat state. And a really good chunk of it is swampy. I'm aware of the beauty and uniqueness of these swamps. But I would say a good chunk of the state where large numbers of people live has a high water table and is not conducive to being built up and high population densities. There's a very high level of fraud in Florida real estate as I'm sure you know, higher than the national average. Florida has been badly hurt by the housing bubble.

...Florida has a low cost of living? Well, not from what I've been told by MULTIPLE people I trust. Maybe it depends if you live in urban areas or in the boonies. But what is true is wages are considerably lower than other areas of the country. As for jobs, Florida is as you know doing poorly. It's considerably higher than where I live in the Mass. In fact, New Hampshire, 40 miles north of me, has an unemployment rate about half that of Florida, and Mass. is a little lower than the national average.

...As for crime, you're WAY off base brother. Florida ROUTINELY ranks in the top ten most dangerous states by both FBI rankings and reputable private rankings like Morgan Quitno. New England states always rank in the top 5 lowest crime rates, even an urban densely populated state like Massachusetts ranks in the middle at 30. NY always doesn't even fall within the top 20 most dangerous states. And NYC IS NOT the most dangerous city in America, in fact it ranks as having proportionate to it's enormous population as being one of the safest big cities. Places like Washington DC, Baltimore, Memphis, Atlanta, St Louis, New Orleans, Miami, and yes some northern big cities like Philly and Detroit, have the worse violent crime rates in the country. I could extrapolate on why these places have such bad crime rates and even give you a potent southern connection, but won't because too many people are easily offended by the harsh truth.

************************************

I promise I won't stereotype southerners if SOME southerners will stop the loud and relentless bullshit that they're morally superior, friendlier, more patriotic, just all around better than everyone else Americans.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 17, 2010 9:04:39 AM

Bottom 5 Relative Hazard Mold Ranking
    Wisconsin .06
    West Virginia .07
    Alabama .13
    [Massachusetts .18]
    Minnesota .19

Read more: http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show.Top-10-Worst-States-for-Mold.14164.html#ixzz0zpLgCRWi

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 17, 2010 6:11:33 PM

13. "A brutal beating involving nine teenagers on Monday will be considered a hate crime, authorities with the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.
    ""One asked if I was gay, and I said, 'What if I am?'"" the unidentified victim said.
    ""The next thing I know, I felt somebody hit me from behind, and then they punched me,"" the victim said.
    ""I have a busted lip on the inside,"" the victim said.
    ""I feared for my life. This stuff doesn't happen that often,"" the victim said.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/25019358/detail.html#ixzz1aq1TjRfL"