Saxby Chambliss Calls Blogger To Apologize For Freshly Fired Staffer’s Anti-Gay Comment

"The office of the Senate Sergeant at Arms has concluded its investigation, and I responded to that report immediately with the removal of a member of my staff. I commend the Sergeant at Arms, Terrance Gainer, and his staff for their very thorough and professional work.

"I have called Mr. Jervis, the blog’s author, and apologized to him personally, and I am sorry for the hurt this incident has caused. Regardless of one’s position on issues and policies, such comments are simply unacceptable, are not befitting those who work in the U.S. Senate, and I will not tolerate them from my staff."

Comments

1. matt says

I’m not going to give him a pat on the back for doing the right thing but I am surprised this didn’t get swept under the rug. Thank you for being a grown up, senator.

2. BobN says

Hold on a minute. Where’s the apology to gay people in general?

This guy didn’t write “Joe my die”. An apology to Joe is entirely appropriate but it’s not enough.

3. Timzilla says

A week is not really a long time for a conduct investigation in personnel matters. A bit of civility and a clear expression of remorse goes a long way. I give the Senator his due for calling to personally apologize to Joe and making also public statement apologizing for the hurt incident caused and rejecting such hateful rhetoric and conduct.

4. Keith says

I say give credit where credit is due. It was a heartfelt, and I believe honest, apology, and the appropriate action was taken. Regardless of our political affiliations, we should at least recognize civility and accept apologies when they are legitimately proferred. Thank you Sen. Chambliss for doing the honorable thing. . .I hope such actions become the norm in the future, and not just an anomaly in our political wilderness these days.

5. MikeInSanJose says

And in case anyone from CNN is reading this, the man’s name is ‘Joe GerVIS’, not “Joe Jervais” (Jer-VAY) as they have pronounced it every single time they have ever mentioned him on air.

I wonder if they do that intentionally, cuz, ya know, bloggers aren’t real people and Joe is… ummm… Gay (rhymes whit ‘Jervais’)

6. justiceontherocks says

He did the right thing, and he did it the right way. he didn’t say “I’m sorry if anyone was offended.”

And he doesn’t owe gay people an apology about this, but the fired guy who wrote on the blog hs some splaining to do.

7. Peter says

To clarify, Chambliss did NOT say he was fired. He said he was REMOVED. This means that he was not a staffer directly employed by Chambliss. Instead, it means he may or may not have been military personnel or based in some other area within D.C. and has been relocated to another position. Until the person is named and they have unequivocally explained their termination, we should not be assuaged.

8. Mick says

I wonder why this “staffer” typed that phrase on that particular blog. Did he/she have a rage at the gays moment and do a google and that blog came up and inflamed him/her further? Interesting to say the least.

9. EdA says

As far as I know, this person, who never served himself in the Armed Forces but who has been repeatedly honored by the defense industry for the massive pork he has delivered, has NEVER apologized to Max Cleland for the vicious attacks he made on a man who was horribly injured in protection of the men he was with.

I need hardly mention that this person joined every single other Republican senator, who wrap themselves around the Flag, in shooting down a minor pay increase for our troops, better access to healthcare for their families, improved service by the Veterans Administration, and a lot of other measures intended to support our troops.

I’m glad that Joe Jervis got treated better by this person than have all of our troops. But it makes this person just not a total piece of crap.

10. Bob R says

Everyone seems to be so quick to accept Chambliss’s apology and the statement the staffer has been removed. What does removed mean? Republicans are very good a word games and deception. Removed from that office and transferred to another, DC perhaps? Removed from that desk or job and given another? Removed is probably the word Frank Luntz told them to use. Nor has the perpetrator been publicly identified. Who wrote the offending comment?

Sorry, I don’t trust Chambliss any further than I can heave his fat carcass. I’ll wait till the culprit is identified and his removal, meaning termination of employment, is verified. Otherwise this is just political spin from a slime-ball GOP senator. I’m sure he’s hoping it will all just go away now, but I still have questions and would like answers.

11. Rin says

I did a search on “removed” versus “fired”…I came up with Headlines like “Lions coach removed…” and in the article it says he was fired.

It is used synonymously when an individual seems to have a prestigious job or a military position where you cannot be fired only discharged, removed from duty, etc.

So…I’m thinking the dude is either military and removed from duty or it is a nice way of saying fired. You don’t generally fire public servants, either

12. Steve in DE says

The culprit will be named in the next couple of days…on FOX “News.”

You will then see him portrayed as a martyr on every one of their comedies, from Glenda Beck to Sean Hannity to that show starring the retarded people in the morning.

13. Johnny Cub says

Thank god. I actually voted for him. Both candidates opposed marriage equality, and I felt Chambliss was better than the Dem.

Posted by: Dusty | Sep 30, 2010 7:12:52 PM

Regardless Dusty you must be a crazy right winger to admit you voted for this shrill!

14. JeffNYC says

Senator Chamblis, your actions are incomplete and unsatisfactory.

What is the staffer’s name and can you confirm that he was actually fired? What does “removed” mean? Was he disciplined in any way?

15. Tone says

He apologized for his former staffer’s bad behavior. There won’t be a crucifixion, nor should there be. An apology, delivered sincerely, and the removal of the offending staffer from their post is sufficient. It was a civilized and honourable gesture. Accept it as such.