Jimmy Anderson | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Straight Brit Athlete Strips to Show Positive 'Attitude' Toward Gays

Anderson

Straight British cricket star Jimmy Anderson is planning to take his clothes off in the October issue of Attitude to show his support for gay people:

AFP reports: "Usually the only nudes in cricket are pitch invaders who 'streak' across the wicket, and Anderson admitted he will probably get 'some stick' for taking part in the shoot by fashion photographer Ram Shergill. But insisted he was 'more than prepared' to shed his clothes. He added: 'If there are any gay cricketers, they should feel confident enough to come out, because I don't think there is homophobia in cricket. Football fans can be quite abusive and quite harsh, and cricket fans can be like that sometimes, but they are generally quite placid and there to watch the game and support their team.' Asked how he would react if a cricketer came out, he said: 'I'd throw them a special gay cricket tea.' Attitude Editor Matthew Todd said the cricketer's decision would send a 'strong, playful signal' that sportsmen can be comfortable with homosexuality among team-mates and fans."

Has any major straight male U.S. athlete made such a gesture? And if not, who might be the first?

Comments

1. Are these shots available anywhere yet?

Posted by: Dickie | Sep 22, 2010 12:22:35 PM

2. I CALL BULLSHIT ON THIS!!!

WHAT DOES SHOWING SUPPORT FOR THE GAY COMMUNITY HAVE TO DO WITH TAKING OFF ONE'S CLOTHES?

THIS IS JUST PANDERING TO THE ARENA!

AND WE'RE ALL JUST THAT DUMB EHOUGH TO LAP IT UP LIKE A BUNCH OF ZOMBIES!

PS-Who should be the first straight male athlete to pose nude? OJ Simpson!

Posted by: Fast Eddie | Sep 22, 2010 12:33:00 PM

3. Cool! Thanks for the leg up.

Posted by: rlpeteh | Sep 22, 2010 12:34:05 PM

4. I agree with fast Eddie.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 22, 2010 1:26:37 PM

5. You're right, getting naked has nothing to do with supporting gays, BUT it is nice atheletes are supporting gays. They are the ones straights and closeted gays are listening to. AND I have nothing against him taking off his clothes. He looks nice.

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 22, 2010 1:35:48 PM

6. No major U.S. athlete would ever do this. They're too concerned with endorsement deals - and reaching out to the gay community would hurt Nike's or Wheaties or some companies profits in the bible belt.

I agree I don't really see how getting naked for the gays is a support of our community, but I understand his intent. It shows how comfortable he is with his sexuality since he's fine being seen as a piece of meat to gay men, and I think the comments he's made with this interview are probably the most important part.

Posted by: Joe | Sep 22, 2010 1:45:19 PM

7. Isn't there a New Orleans Saints player who has been very outspoken in support of gay rights?

Posted by: Eddie | Sep 22, 2010 2:23:36 PM

8. would be nice if a gay athlete was on a cover, no?

Posted by: sf_resident | Sep 22, 2010 2:24:53 PM

9. I believe you mean Scott Fujita, Eddie.

In the meantime, I'm glad cricket is finally making a contribution to English national life ;)

Posted by: Ben | Sep 22, 2010 3:09:47 PM

10. @SF_Resident:

Gareth Thomas can only be on so many covers, and he's the only out gay athlete currently playing professional team sports.

I, for one, think it's great to see straight professional athlete basically say "it's no big deal for gay men to ogle me."

Posted by: Dan E | Sep 22, 2010 4:40:27 PM

11. Our societal acceptance has everything to do with sexual liberation in general, and also certainly has a lot to do with our allies supporting us publicly. So I don't really see how this doesn't support us or our cause.

Besides, what part of NAKED ATHLETE don't you get?!

Posted by: JeffRob | Sep 22, 2010 5:13:41 PM

12. Good for him. About time more people started showing less hatred and more tolerance. Great pics too.

Posted by: Jan | Sep 22, 2010 5:26:52 PM

13. I do find it a wonderful and supportive gesture to pose nude in a gay magazine. Many straight guys give off the vibe that they would be completely uncomfortable being seen naked by gay men. I for one want Jimmy to know that some of us greatly appreciate his outlook and his outspokenness. Thanks, Jimmy Anderson. I hope you make big bucks from the shoot. You deserve it.

Posted by: Maurice | Sep 22, 2010 5:39:08 PM

14. ZoMG what a hunk! I welcome any str8 but not narrow allies clothed or not. Good for him. I simply cannot wait for that issue though, *drool*

Posted by: Tone | Sep 22, 2010 8:31:34 PM

15. FAST EDDIE and RATBASTARD have to be the stupidest commenters on towleroad. if a gay-friendly, straight athlete strips down for a gay magazine, it means something, dip-shits.

Posted by: nic | Sep 22, 2010 8:37:09 PM

16. Fulita is no longer with New Orleans. He's now with the Cleveland Browns. He and his wife have been very outspoken for gay rights.

Not that it matters, but he is one really good looking man.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Sep 22, 2010 8:56:59 PM

17. I doubt we'll see a male pro athlete take it off anytime soon - at least not while he's active. "Morals Clauses" and "Code Of Conduct" in MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL will keep any athlete from doing this just for fear of negating their multi-million dollar contracts. We Americans seem to believe that men posing nude is immoral and lewd.

Posted by: steve | Sep 22, 2010 10:31:07 PM

18. Fasteddie, loud, bitter and stupid are not a good mix.

Posted by: ophu | Sep 22, 2010 11:19:59 PM

19. if i had this man on my side and by my side, it would be a magical bromance. not all spectacular men are gay. i still would cook his breakfast eggs just so.

Posted by: nic | Sep 23, 2010 5:46:05 AM

20. I think it's great.

For us, it's a chance to admire a hot guy.

But it also sends a message to straight men that having gay men lust for your body is a good thing, not a cause for trembling in terror.

So thanks for being a happy-trail-blazer (is that a triple play on words?)

Posted by: Randy | Sep 23, 2010 10:01:44 AM

21. Sadly Scott Fujita was traded to the Browns in Cleveland.

Posted by: Rick Smith | Sep 23, 2010 4:15:17 PM

22. I follow cricket and have done so for a long time now. Good on Anderson to do this. Cricket still does not have an openly gay athlete.

Posted by: Cricket | Oct 15, 2010 7:36:26 PM