Eddie Long | News | Ted Haggard

Ted Haggard Continues To Defend Eddie Long's Muscle Shirts

Haggardcnn2

Ted Haggard's ongoing defense of Eddie Long, the pastor accused of coercing three congregants into sexual relationships, brought him to Anderson Cooper's CNN show last night. It was quite a performance, particularly when Haggard attempted to explain away Long's muscle shirt photos.

"Well, we know the pictures are there. We're not sure where they came from," said Haggard. "But there was a movement several years ago where people were concerned about the direction of the church. And there was kind of a masculine movement. Pastors are more masculine sometimes in certain churches; that doesn't mean he's guilty."

Haggard, who was infamously run out of his Colorado Ministry after admitting to hiring a male prostitute, and recently started a new "gay-friendly" congregation, was later asked whether he found Long, who has called homosexuality a "spiritual abortion," to be homophobic. Haggard's reply? A round-the-way defense of anti-gay churches.

"Well," began Haggard. "The times I met him I didn't get that indication. But I do think it's important that churches be able to embrace the type of theology that they believe in and be able to communicate it with clarity."

Pastor Troy Sanders from the LGBT-inclusive, religiously-inclined group Soul Force, which met with Long in 2008, had a different take on Long's gay stance: "The first impression that I had was very hospitable to us but it was very clear that there was a difference in theology. Like there was a very clear difference between what we believed and the oppressive theology that the church is known for.

Watch the conversation, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Teddie and Eddie sitting in a tree
    K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Posted by: Miles | Sep 24, 2010 11:07:31 AM

2. The difference seems to be madec clear by the different preferences of the two men - on (Haggard) likes strong adult men - the other (Long) seems to like young men who call him "Daddy" that's the difference, for once I would rather take my chances with Haggard...

Posted by: arch | Sep 24, 2010 11:36:19 AM

3. Well," began Haggard. "The times I met him I didn't get that indication...But I do remember thinking what strong thighs he most likely had,and a Big Black cock too....and at the same time how important that churches be able to embrace the type of Hypocritical theology that they believe in and be able to communicate it with clarity to thier sheeple"

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 24, 2010 11:37:43 AM

4. "Pastors are more masculine sometimes in certain churches". Sounds like Ted's reverting to his preferred stereotyped male fixations. Maybe he's thinking of all those sweaty Promise Keepers hugging in the hot summer nights in stadiums.

Posted by: CoMo'mo | Sep 24, 2010 11:39:52 AM

5. The homoeroticism in Muscular Christianity, seen in the Christian bodybuilding/wrestling (almost ‘Fight Club’) movement is far greater than what we see in professional sports. I have a str8 friend who is in the gayest looking relationship with his Christian exercise pastor. They touch, tweet and spend more time with each other more than I do with my husband. It’s a weird.

Posted by: Gus | Sep 24, 2010 11:42:17 AM

6. A laugh riot.

Posted by: anon | Sep 24, 2010 11:47:07 AM

7. Pastor Troy Sanders rocks. He's provides one of the most effective rebuttals against the hypocrisy of Haggard and others like him.

Posted by: Raf | Sep 24, 2010 11:52:28 AM

8. It's quite ironic that Ted admonished folks not to allow their theology to tyrannize other people. Hmm, Ted, isn't that the exact thing you, Eddie Long, Harry Jackson, and countless others have been doing for so long? Does he even hear himself? SMH

Posted by: Juan | Sep 24, 2010 11:56:25 AM

9. Maybe black men just aren't on Ted's gaydar? Different strokes for different gays, I mean folks!

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 24, 2010 11:58:34 AM

10. Ted’s in (figurative) heaven. Anything to be in the spotlight again...

Posted by: ichabod | Sep 24, 2010 12:18:31 PM

11. This is no comment on Eddie Long's guilt or innocence. But if I were him the last person I would want defending me would be Ted Haggard. If Ted really wanted to help a discrete phone call offering advice or sympathetic ear, might even be the "Christian" thing to do. What he is doing just looks like media whoring to me.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Sep 24, 2010 12:37:46 PM

12. I think whoever at CNN decided to use Haggard to defend Long is brilliant!!

Talk about making a point by using a glaring example!

It like using Senator What's His Name to defend other toilet toe tappers!!

Brilliant!

Posted by: Marty | Sep 24, 2010 12:48:50 PM

13. Troy Sanders seems like a man at peace with himself. Ted Haggard seems like one trying to convince himself and the world about a simplistic obsolete and untrue view of sexuality.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Sep 24, 2010 12:57:10 PM

14. "The first impression that I had was very hospitable to us but it was very clear that there was a difference in theology"

I hope it can now be understood--but won't be, because you are a largely uncomprehending group in an uncomprehending nation-- why religious 'allies' can't really be allies. They will always preference their faith above equality, and turn human rights into a mere scriptural disagreement of which there is no way out, or to win.

They will approach violent, antigay rhetoric with "understanding" and "tolerance", willing to overlook it in the name of their faith; calling it, in fact, a "difference in theology". They simply are unable to advocate for lgbt americans in any effective way, and should be ignored. They don't view people who, for whatever reason, oppose equal rights for lgbt americans as bigots, but as people who hold a different opinion about human rights...they have nothing of value to contribute to the debate or the conversation.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 24, 2010 1:05:31 PM

15. Did Ted Haggard just say "This is America - You can't use your religion to terrorize others."

I'm literally sitting here dumbfounded.

Posted by: Christopher | Sep 24, 2010 1:24:41 PM

16. Did Ted Haggard just say "This is America - You can't use your religion to terrorize others."

I'm literally sitting here dumbfounded.

I know right!!!! I was like- HUH???? Interesting considering thier Religious Wackjobedness Terrorizes LGBT people and thier families on a daily basis.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 24, 2010 1:33:41 PM

17. Ted's last line, "You can't use your religion to tyrannize other," is EXACTLY what Eddie Long does to gay men and women. EXACTLY. It's disgusting, hateful and now most of America has learned brought on by his own self-loathing and secret life. Eddie is being hoisted on his on petard.

Haggard basically used the 10 minutes with Anderson to mea culpa his own behavior, his own self-hatred and abusive behavior. How could anyone look at this self-pitying, ridiculous man as their spiritual leader? He's a pathetic, rationalize-away-his-own-behavior joke.

And whatever Haggard was saying about masculine preachers and the what-not was sheer lunacy. The look on his face told me he didn't even know what the hell he was saying. I'm a body builder...I wouldn't send pictures of myself in lycra clothes to anyone, muchless a teenagers. Any adult male with a good body would never wear those shirts outside a gym unless he was heading to a bar in West Hollywood or Chelea hoping to go home with a trick.

Long was asking to get caught and bless his hateful little heart he's now going to be found to be the fraud most people knew he was (I don't live in Atlanta and I have heard stories about the boys Eddie puts up in his guest house on his property. None of this is news or new.)

I love when bigots, especially the self-loathing kind, step in their own shit. Even if somehow they manage to get out of it, it smells for a long, long, long time.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 24, 2010 1:37:44 PM

18. TED HAGGARD - "You cannot use your religion to terrorize others." - IS THAT A F*CKING JOKE?!?!?! That's exactly what Pastor LONG STROKE has been doing?! Why are you defending him?!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Sep 24, 2010 2:14:49 PM

19. Blaa, blaa, blaa hate.... Hate them, hate themselves, hate... blaa, blaa, blaa. Ha, ha ha!! I can't wait for the revelation that Fred Phelps was sodomized by his father and then went on to sodomize his sons who went on to sodomize their sons. It's not if, its when. And the blaa, blaa, blaa, ha, ha, ha will go on.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 24, 2010 2:29:36 PM

20. re: religion to tyrannize others- it's just the icing on his victim spiel. The entire last half of the conversation Haggard attempts to hijack the conversation and flip it so that HIS beliefs are portrayed as the ones being victimized, he's saying that we need to be tolerant of his bigotry and hypocrisy, as per usual. It's just the same ol' spin and bullshit from the haters. Fuck him. Or rather, don't. Let his wife figure it out. It's really incredible how stupid they all are.

Posted by: wtf | Sep 24, 2010 2:34:42 PM

21. I watched them last night....what a fuck show.....but quite funny.....

The unspeakable, Haggard, in pursuit of the uneatable, (by all accounts,) Long-Shank.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 24, 2010 2:39:52 PM

22. There is not a hell deep enough for Ted Haggard to crawl into

Posted by: Christopher | Sep 24, 2010 3:11:23 PM

23. The main point here is, Who the FUCK cares what Haggard thinks about anything?

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 24, 2010 3:21:31 PM

24. this just in: a FOURTH man has accused long of sex acts with him. it just gets better and better.

didn't teddy deny, deny, deny before he admitted he did, he did, he did?

Posted by: rickster | Sep 24, 2010 3:57:59 PM

25. I'm guessing we'd find ball gags and butt plugs in Haggard's secret dungeon. Much more damning then homocentric attire.

Posted by: Garst | Sep 24, 2010 5:52:20 PM