Anderson Cooper | Discrimination | Ellen DeGeneres | News

BigGayDeal.com

Ellen DeGeneres, Anderson Cooper Join Forces To Stop Bullying

Cooperdegeneres

Anderson Cooper and Ellen DeGeneres may very well be the next television power couple.

The hosts have both used their respective platforms this week to highlight the plight of bullied teens. Now they've combining their powers for the greater good: Cooper appeared on Ellen's daytime talk show, and she in turn appeared on his CNN news show.

While on CNN last night, Ellen told Cooper how her own experience with bullying and anti-gay jokes helps her empathize with people like Tyler Clementi, the Rutgers University student who committed suicide last week:

When these things happen, it feels like a direct assault on me, because I am that person that they are bullying. I am that person that -- that feels like committing suicide. They're talking about me. I'm gay, and I have been ostracized my whole life and in society. And I'm sent that message on a daily basis by the media, and -- and it hurts. And I want to say to those kids out there I have been through it. I came out. I am successful. I am happy. I am in love, and there is Hope.

Cooper also spoke last night with teens who have been bullied. One participant explained what it was like being taunted for his sexuality: "I believed that I did not deserve to live." Heartbreaking.

Cooper's week-long look into bullying concludes this Friday with a town hall meeting that will appear on both CNN and the Cartoon Network. Cooper's power knows no network's bounds. Nor does Ellen's. Has the power vacuum created by Oprah's daytime departure been filled?

Watch DeGeneres' appearance on AC 360, AFTER THE JUMP...

Sorry not to have the Ellen footage. The only video currently available doesn't come with embed code.

Comments

1. Come out Anderson Cooper!! This is the single most important thing you could do to help here.

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 6, 2010 11:49:44 AM

2. All rather empty, alas, if he himself does not have the guts as an adult role model to come out!

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Oct 6, 2010 11:54:08 AM

3. Yup. It's time for Anderson Cooper to come out and make a video for the It Gets Better project. By not publically acknowledging what everybody already knows, he is reinforcing the notion that being gay is shameful or a threat to one's career.

Posted by: Larry Person | Oct 6, 2010 11:55:51 AM

4. Time to Come out Anderson...Time to Come out Anderson.

Posted by: Theo | Oct 6, 2010 11:56:29 AM

5. Agree with the posters above. So long as Cooper is in the closet, he's actually a terrible spokesman who does more harm in his apparent shame about his sexuality than good.

Posted by: Dan E | Oct 6, 2010 11:58:10 AM

6. I understand what ppl are saying but Cooper has devoted almost his whole program THIS WEEK and LAST WEEK to gay topics. Monday thru Friday. His contributions have been HUGE. And its very clear what side he's campaiging for (you would think its MSNBC)...

Posted by: JJ | Oct 6, 2010 12:17:15 PM

7. Agreeing with all of these comments.

The time our community needs more public role models is now. Preventing teenage suicide is more important than journalistic integrity.

I would pretty much say the same thing for all gay celebrities, too. Here's to hoping some of them will grow a spine and come out.

Posted by: Joseph | Oct 6, 2010 12:18:01 PM

8. I think he's on the verge of coming out...

Posted by: Dani | Oct 6, 2010 12:21:04 PM

9. I was scathingly attacked by a majority of posters defending A.C.'s on-air closeted lifestyle at another site just a day before these sad stories of consecutive gay teen suicides came out, and my point was that if Anderson remains closeted, then he is doing more harm than good, even when he does gay news stories on his show. Because he is teaching these teens to know SHAME by continuing himself to hide.

Posted by: Ian | Oct 6, 2010 12:27:10 PM

10. Please consider joining us for an anti-violence vigil in NYC tonight (Wednesday) 6pm at 25th and 9th - facebook.com/note.php?note_id=441268757219&id=30537759262Read

Posted by: Buzz | Oct 6, 2010 12:47:51 PM

11. I don't see how anyone benefits from Anderson Cooper coming out as gay. All it does is give gays a sense of satisfaction and the straights one more voice of reason they don't have to listen to anymore.

Posted by: LightningBoalt | Oct 6, 2010 12:53:06 PM

12. Kathy Griffin made a good point once regarding Anderson Cooper, that newscasters should not be the news, that he could put himself in serious jeopardy if he were to travel to do a story in a middle eastern country where homosexuality is illegal. He's not making a living playing a straight person, or parading a wife out in public. To say he does more harm by hiding gives him no credit for devoting so much time to the cause.

Posted by: spiderseye | Oct 6, 2010 1:00:04 PM

13. Anderson cant relate because if you dont come out, you cant be subject to anti-gay bullying.

Posted by: ALSNYC | Oct 6, 2010 1:01:33 PM

14. @LIGHTNINGBOALT: I understand your concern. However, everyone already know that Anderson Cooper is gay. It has always been an open secret, but he never come out.

Posted by: Theo | Oct 6, 2010 1:07:16 PM

15. @Theo: and he doesn't have to. I'm sure that if he is gay, he's out to his family and friends. Why on earth should he have to come out on a public national level? He's a newscaster and a damn good and serious one. If you want to have a taste of your newscaster's personal lives, I'd suggest watching E! or something. He's so good at what he does and he's always supported the gay cause. I expect nothing more from my newscasters, honestly.

Posted by: topher | Oct 6, 2010 1:28:43 PM

16. A Call for Hate Crime Charges Against
    Dharun Ravi and Molly Wei

Posted by: pauls | Oct 6, 2010 1:30:54 PM

17. @ALSNYC

"if you dont come out, you cant be subject to anti-gay bullying."

Not true at all. Plenty of people are bullied for their PERCEIVED sexual orientation, whether or not they are out or even gay at all.

Posted by: Bradford | Oct 6, 2010 1:35:09 PM

18. @Bradford:
    Word. And what amazes me is these people's inexistent capacity of abstraction! Basically what this dude was saying is "there's no way I can relate to your plight if I myself am not like you", which therefore means that you could never feel empathy or compassion or a sense of justice in front of racism, homophobia or misogyny if you're not black, gay or female.

Posted by: topher | Oct 6, 2010 1:45:48 PM

19. AC is not in the closet. NOBODY presumes he is straight. He doesn't even remotely suggest to ANYONE that he is straight.
    What then more do we as a community want...and to what end?
    And P.S.: he wouldn't be terribly convincing in a PSA about "it getting better" because he had it easy from birth, silver spoon to silver fox.

Posted by: shanesoho | Oct 6, 2010 1:58:59 PM

20. @TOPHER: Of course he has a choice not to come out and I do not have problem with that at all. But apparently it is not what young people might understand. The fact that they know he is gay and he never comes out, it reflects a certain shame associated with being gay. I do not want a taste of his personal life, but i just think that he can be as a great newscaster as he actually is and be out and proud as role model since he is on TV every night.

Posted by: Theo | Oct 6, 2010 2:07:28 PM

21. Wow, you have it all figured out then, don't you, LightningBoalt?

spiderseye, excuses, excuses. Middle Eastern countries have the internet, too, you know. It doesn't take a genius to figure out he's gay. Whether he comes out or not, if a terrorist wants to kill you because you're gay, they're going to try to kill you.

Kathy is full of shit on this one. He wouldn't be the news at this point if he came out years ago like a sensible. Wait, wait, he's not out...and he is the news. He's been the news for years. Boyfriends, breakups, gossip, rumors, paparazzi pictures. He's been the news for quite some time now. So if he comes out...what will happen again?

Posted by: Marcus | Oct 6, 2010 2:24:04 PM

22. It figures that the nay-sayers here would rag on AC because he hasn't come out of the closet. The guy is devoting major air-time to a very serious issue and all anyone here can do is attack the messenger. Frankly, AC does a great job on his show and I never miss it. I don't watch AC waiting anxiously for him to "out" himself. I watch AC for an honest take on the news and a good, fair insight into the news. His coming out is HIS business. He will do it, I'm sure, when HE feels that the time is right, if ever. It would be nice if EVERYBODY came out. But, you know, lay off AC. He's NOT part of the problem! He's part of the solution.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 6, 2010 2:33:59 PM

23. I appreciate what AC is doing as a compassionate Human Being.

Posted by: MoJo | Oct 6, 2010 2:38:18 PM

24. Imagine the difference Anderson Cooper could make to the millions of young kids who look up to a middle-aged man with gray hair who appears on a nightly news program.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 6, 2010 2:45:34 PM

25. If he comes out it will dilute his message he will thought of as "Gay Anchor Anderson Cooper" promoting the Gay Agenda". People are already saying all this talk about anti gay bullying is a ploy to promote acceptance ogf Gay Lifestyle. I have relatives complaining about where is the coverage of the straight kids who kill themselves.There families are in pain too. The people I know who watch AC360 including my parents will stop if he comes out. I think its better to have him on the air covering this topic than his show cancelled because he has become part of the story.

Posted by: Kim | Oct 6, 2010 2:47:20 PM