Anderson Cooper | Discrimination | Eminem | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Eminem Discusses Homophobic Lyrics With Anderson Cooper

Emcooper

Musician Eminem sat down with Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes last night. And, since Cooper has become a champion against homophobia, the anchor asked Eminem to why he uses the word "faggot" so freely.

Eminem explains that he's always heard the word, and that it's not necessarily tied to homosexuality, "That word was thrown around so much, you know? Faggot was, like, it was thrown around constantly, to each other, like in battling, you know what I mean?" he asked, before insisting that he doesn't hate gay people. "I don't have any problem with nobody, you know what I mean. Like, I'm just whatever." Asked whether he needs to take responsibility for his words, Eminem puts the onus on parents to censor their children's lives.

As for criticism that's he a homophobe, brought up most often by the gay group GLAAD? Eminem plays the victim: "I felt like I was being attacked," he said. "I was being singled out. And I felt like, is it because of the color of my skin? Is it because that, you're paying more attention? Is it because there's certain rappers that do and say the same things that I'm saying. And I don't hear no one saying anything about that. I didn't just invent saying offensive things."

Watch Eminem discuss the "f-word," AFTER THE JUMP.

Relevant discussion at the 3:30 mark.

Comments

1. Fuck him. I'm so sick of straight people acting like babies when they get called out on their bigotry. He can go to hell.

Posted by: gaylib | Oct 11, 2010 8:16:47 AM

2. Anderson Cooper is Dead to me.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 11, 2010 8:46:02 AM

3. I agree with Gaylib completely.

Eminem is a multimillionaire homophobe black wannabe.

His justifications for using anti-gay language and for being a homophobe are incredibly asinine: (1) everybody else used the word and it was said constantly around him so I used it in my lyrics in the worse possible ways; (2) I am the victim and because I am a white rapper the world is attacking me for being a homophobe.

Ridiculous.

I fervently believe that all homophobic rappers need to be euthanized immediately and then all masters and copies of their music need to be permanently destroyed so no one is able to hear it again.

Posted by: veg | Oct 11, 2010 8:51:08 AM

4. Eminem ducks the question, and America's Pre-Eminent Closet Case lets him do it.

Posted by: Roscoe | Oct 11, 2010 8:57:14 AM

5. "I don't have any problem with nobody, you know what I mean. Like, I'm just whatever."

What? Is he 16?

Posted by: Matty | Oct 11, 2010 9:01:43 AM

6. Anderson's interview made me throw up in my moth a little. Eminems excuse was lame....Cooper was lamer. Fuck you Andy

Posted by: chris | Oct 11, 2010 9:15:03 AM

7. Matty has it right. This fool talks like a immature prepubescent little girl. He is careless, thoughtless, and infantile. Why he has a following is beyond me...but, then again, I hate all rap music anyway.

Posted by: candideinnc | Oct 11, 2010 9:18:42 AM

8. ugh ignorant untalented wiggers - wannabes - whatever you want to call them shouldn't be famous

Posted by: jgm22 | Oct 11, 2010 9:23:12 AM

9. Ugh. Dumbass, victim and a liar? Wow, we have a winner in the little bitch trifecta.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 11, 2010 9:26:48 AM

10. I do not agree that Eminem is untalented. He's proven his talent. Nevertheless I am unwilling to participate in my own oppression by supporting him in any way.

Posted by: Tone | Oct 11, 2010 9:28:43 AM

11. Eminem is right on one thing: he is indeed singled out more often for his homophobia than many other hip-hop artists are. However, his brand of homophobia has often been more aggressively violent, going beyond "the f-word" to openly advocating physical attacks on gay people. The "victim" approach doesn't look good on him.

Having said that, Fifty Cent is just as aggressively homophobic and stupid as Eminem is, and doesn't seem to get called on it nearly as often (except here and on AfterElton). Very few people seem willing to explore what it does to our young men's psyches to be listening to such aggressive mysogeny, homophobia, etc. on a regular basis.

Posted by: Dback | Oct 11, 2010 9:29:21 AM

12. I kind of look at it this way: Eminem is to rap what McDonald's is to burgers. The bigger you are, the more likely you're going to be attacked. You can dress it all up and even offer a cup of fruit on the side with your 2,000 calorie burger and fries; but at the end of the day, you're still poisoning the minds and bodies of the all-to-willing idiots of consumption.

Burger King and Wendy's don't come under this type of scrutiny, but they're still equally vile.

Posted by: Keith | Oct 11, 2010 9:54:35 AM

13. If any other minority was treated the way rappers treat gays, it would not be tolerated for a second. Eminem and all the rest are evil and spread the disease of HATE to our youth. Period.

PS: Mr. Cooper needs to grow a set of testicles.

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Oct 11, 2010 9:55:54 AM

14. This interview begs the question: Are we at all sure that Anderson Cooper isn't a shill for GOProud?

It seems odd to me that someone with so much courage in their lyrics should prove to be such a coward.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 11, 2010 11:12:00 AM

15. He didn't invent saying it and their are other rappers who say these things, but he is the most popular and mainstream to get these words across, which is why he has a responsibility to own up to what he did.

He's right that he was undereducated and in a community that allowed him to say these things, but he should have actually apologize for his actions. He has stopped using those words and themes now (right)?

Also, does anderson cooper only own suits and black polo/t-shirts?

Posted by: Joe | Oct 11, 2010 11:18:39 AM

16. The newspeople are such pussies... they're afraid to ask direct questions b/c if they do, they'll be denied access in the future. Accountability is SO unpleasant.

Palladino was on the AM chat shows & the interviewers were totally rolled by him. Cooper's no different- each time they let an implausible answer roll-on-by, they implicitly endorse that drip-drip-drip of trickle-down homophobia.

Posted by: pete | Oct 11, 2010 11:22:34 AM

17. Good grief, I feel like a bipolar schizophrenic with a meth problem who's been dropped in a room full of squirrels!

Last week, Anderson Cooper was a gay hero becoming one of our biggest advocates, and this week he's a "shill for GOProud"?

Ya'll are some fickle bitches!

Posted by: crispy | Oct 11, 2010 11:52:42 AM

18. Crispy, tell me about it! Cooper was asking him questions as a reporter, not as a correspondent for Faux news. Give him a break. Besides, he was giving Eminem the chance to explaing himself (he didn't). He didn't try to nag or egg him on for some hyped up answer. Jesus, people give it a break!

Posted by: terry | Oct 11, 2010 11:59:39 AM

19. The lyric is, "...stab you in the head whether you're a fag or a lez. Hate fags? The answer's yes."
    Has Anderson never heard of a follow up question? Was the only reason to ask the question to get Eminem off the hook?
    Have to wonder....
    Plus if Andy doesn't push too hard then no one is going to suspect Anderson of being gay. Oh wait, I seem to remember reading in these comment sections on other AC stories that he is out, so then he must just be a really bad journalist. Hack!

Posted by: bobo | Oct 11, 2010 12:00:58 PM

20. At the end of the article, Eminem offers his help to those going through tough times. If he really wants to prove that he's there to help people, and doesn't care if a person is gay or straight, he should make an "It Gets Better" video to show his commitment to that idea.

Posted by: J.T. | Oct 11, 2010 12:41:40 PM

21. The N word also gets "thrown around" a lot in rap.

But Enimen says will never use the "N" word in his lyrics out of respect for the black community.

Which pretty much shows he uses the "F" word out of DISrespect for the gay community, and also because he likes easy targets.

Posted by: fern | Oct 11, 2010 12:48:13 PM

22. DBACK's comment: Eminem is right on one thing: he is indeed singled out more often for his homophobia than many other hip-hop artists are.

That's why it's NEVER ok. Now people are desensitized and it's not a big deal. Eminem should have just waited for other artists (as big as he was) to do it first.

And then just wait for Elton John to ok it away. You know, because Elton speaks for every gay person.

Posted by: Shawn | Oct 11, 2010 3:25:08 PM

23. Anderson did a perfectly fine interview. He asked several questions on the subject of Eminem's misogynistic and homophobic lyrics, and got clear, insightful answers back. Answers which were pretty much stupid, but that's Eminem's reasoning apparently. Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Posted by: HP | Oct 11, 2010 3:25:24 PM

24. Eminem: Longest fifteen minutes e v e r

Posted by: BobN | Oct 11, 2010 3:35:49 PM

25. Jeez, people, this was meant to be a 10 minute profile of all of Eminem, not a debate/thorough investigation into homophobia in his rap music. In doing this profile, Anderson asked the relevant questions on this subject, and we learned how Eminem feels about using gay slurs, his response to criticism because of it, his responsibility to kids hearing these things, and that he is an asshole. Wait, we knew that last one already. Point is, Anderson is not lame/testicle-less/GOProud/a hack/whatever, he's good people and there was nothing wrong with his questions. Are you guys this critical of yourselves? That must suck.

@Crispy: Seriously.