Education | Football (American) | Gay Slurs | News | Ohio

BigGayDeal.com

Ohio H.S. Targets Rival Team with Chant: 'Powder Blue Faggots'

Eastlake

North High School in Eastlake, Ohio is attracting some attention after a YouTube user posted a video of high school students engaged in a group chant at a football game between North and its rival, Willoughby South High.

Heather Ike recorded the fans chanting "powder blue faggots" at the opposing team. Willoughby's team color is light blue.

WKYC reports:

"It is completely unacceptable and we will look at the video and see if we can identify students and they could be suspended," says Willoughby-Eastlake Superintendent Keith Miller.

He says that the principal at North High School did hear the chanting and intervened but that is not on the tape.

Students told Channel 3 News today that these types of chants have been going on for years, and that South High School uses it's own anti-gay slurs against North.

"This is not okay and we will address it, " said Miller.

Asks Heather Ike, the former student who posted the video to YouTube: "What are the teachers teaching our children at Wiloughby-Eastlake Schools? With the combined efforts of Mentor High School's gay-suicide track record, all of Cleveland's Eastern city school districts need to be educated about bullying and hate crimes against gays and lesbians!"

Watch the chant, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. As a former Ohioan, I wish I could say this surprised me. Ohio is still very "small mid-western farm town" where everyone knows everyone from Sunday church services. That's a lot of why I had to leave

Posted by: Aaron A. | Oct 18, 2010 6:08:22 PM

2. I just hope the powder blue faggots kicked their teams ass!

Posted by: Mark | Oct 18, 2010 6:20:27 PM

3. @Mark

Just because you asked, I did go and check the final score.

Yes the Willoughby South High "Powder Blue Faggots" won the game by 2 TD's (34-21).

Those kids are tools and bigots. And their team lost.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Oct 18, 2010 6:44:37 PM

4. "Why, oh why, o why-oh/"did Aaron and I ever leave Ohio--here's an answer. It's not much different in cities, neither.

Posted by: CoMo'mo | Oct 18, 2010 6:49:24 PM

5. Pretty typical. People wonder why gay people kill themselves....

Posted by: Alpha | Oct 18, 2010 7:12:58 PM

6. What are the TEACHERS teaching the children? Are you kidding me? What are the PARENTS teaching their children? Unacceptable under any circumstances...

Posted by: lvnv | Oct 18, 2010 7:52:31 PM

7. Thats the point I was trying to make at another site. Its not "bullying" but a sociaty at large. An adult could have done something. Teachers and Parents would have been there.

One of the worst things in High School wasnt the odd faggot i might get in the hallway but by the way certain teachers treated me. Other students were mostly ok but i would have to deal with conservative adults who obviously werent ok with my "lifestyle choice". Bullies arent just other kids. It comes from all sides.

Forget suspending the kids. Any school staff present are the ones who need to be punished.

Posted by: Bob | Oct 18, 2010 8:05:17 PM

8. I guess these healthy young americans are excercising their first amendment rights??

Posted by: mcNnyc | Oct 18, 2010 8:19:56 PM

9. @BOB

"Teachers and Parents would have been there."

Teachers and parents likely joined in if not even started the chant themselves.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | Oct 18, 2010 8:54:14 PM

10. Maybe they should chant "Powder Blue Muslims"

Posted by: secure214 | Oct 18, 2010 9:22:35 PM

11. High school sucks. And trust that these kids think it's okay because of the faculty, administration, and parents--essentially culture--that condones and encourages it. Ohio is...the birthplace of Quine...can't hate it, but there's a healthy contingent of bilge water churchers.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 18, 2010 9:30:31 PM

12. Several violent street gangs wear powder / baby blue; it would be cool to see these punks chant powder blue faggots at them and watch the fireworks.

I like baby blue, then again i'm a ....

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 18, 2010 9:54:51 PM

13. tradition of ignorance,sound like some smart guys there.

Posted by: sal | Oct 18, 2010 10:22:33 PM

14. As a former Ohioan/current near-decade-long SF transplant, I'm so not surprised. Or amused.

Posted by: Brian S | Oct 18, 2010 10:47:39 PM

15. This is going on with the approval of adult parents and teachers. Period. I would fire the principle and kick out any person identified in the tape, I would also warn the redneck nazis that if it happens again they will be kicked out as well. Ohio is redneck blue -collar small minded hell.

Posted by: Chad | Oct 18, 2010 11:01:36 PM

16. Ohio, heartland of politics and the American family, look close because it's happening around you as well. No matter where you are, hatred is there, carry mace for protection.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Oct 19, 2010 12:07:25 AM

17. THIS JUST INFURIATES ME!
    With all the repercussions of hateful bullying being written about in the press recently,i.e. the suicides --When the authorities find out who these assholes are that did this why don't they call an assembly and put the kids in front of the whole school and expel their butts. Maybe this reaction is too strong...but then everyone needs to understand expressions of hate such as this should not be tolerated.
    Would it make any difference if the students, and parents were made to watch videos of the repercussions of bullying... the suicides, and/or the emotional statement made in the FtWorth Council chambers the other day...Would they see the pain and death, in some cases, that the bullying and name calling can lead...? Would they care? I wonder. What if it they were on the other end of those hateful taunts?

Posted by: tinhouston | Oct 19, 2010 12:11:49 AM

18. That's the best chant they could come up with?
    LAME.

Posted by: Ishaq | Oct 19, 2010 3:13:38 AM

19. Why don't you also attack the music industry? The music industry has been promoting homophobic slurs for years. None of you seem game enough to take on music. Kids listen to music and get much of their influences from it.

Posted by: jason | Oct 19, 2010 8:00:44 AM

20. @ Jason

RAP is NOT real music (thats the crap these kids listen to) and furthermore there have been many instances where we HAVE attacked THAT "music" industry.Not ALL genres of music promote homophobia and a majority of teens dont listen to any other music other than rap/hiphop.If they do it must be rare,I cant remember the last time I heard a teen listening to Paul Hardcastle/Jazzmasters,Sade,or Herb Alpert

Posted by: Rocky | Oct 19, 2010 8:32:16 AM

21. This crap happens everywhere, see the NY Yankees recent video. We need to ask the school what their response is. I have been called a gay slur and nearly attacked in Sf, Sydney, Chicago, DC etc but not even a sideways glance while walking tru the Short North w- my boyfriend's hand in Columbus, OH. I might be lucky but I love it here and feel safe.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 19, 2010 12:50:16 PM

22. If they had chanted "Powder blue N****s" they'd have been expelled. I care less about the other team than I do about gay kids sitting in the bleachers listening to this hate speech and feeling worthless.

Posted by: wimsy | Oct 19, 2010 2:19:36 PM

23. Guys, don't cheer on the other team. Apparently, because this team is orange and black, the other school chants "Halloween Homos" at them. It's a big ole homophobia bigot fest in that district.

Posted by: Matt S. | Oct 19, 2010 4:41:03 PM

24. I graduated from Willoughby South in 1996. This situation is completely unsurprising. The town is currently up in arms about South not being able to use the Confederate flag as it's logo. Terrible, terrible place.

Posted by: BA | Oct 19, 2010 11:13:07 PM

25. how can u be so judgemental of these kids/teachers/parents? you are throwing the book at them for saying "powder blue faggots" & "halloween homos" but its ok for you to call all of them ignorant, nazis, rednecks, etc. why is acceptable for you to talk down to them? you are no better than they are for using WORDS!!!

Posted by: wow | Oct 21, 2010 8:31:52 PM