Right Wing Radio Host David Barton: Government Should ‘Regulate Homosexuality’

Davidbartonevangelical

Evangelical radio host David Barton wondered yesterday why the United States, with its various governmental branches, doesn't start "regulating homosexuality."

We have a Department of Health and Human Services; we have health care bills; we have health insurance and we’re trying to stop all unhealthy things so we’re going after transfats and we’re going after transparency in labeling to make sure we get all the healthy stuff in there," said Barton, a Christian nationalist who backed Florida Congressional hopeful Dan Webster, inadvertently providing the subtext for Democratic Rep. Alan Grayson's "Taliban" attack ad.

Barton, a frequent guest on Glenn Beck's program, continued with his extreme logic: "So if I go to the Centers for Disease Control and I’m concerned about health, I find some interesting stats there and this should tell me something about health. Homosexual/bisexual individuals are seven times to contemplate or commit suicide. Oooh, that doesn’t sound very healthy. Homosexuals die decades earlier than heterosexuals. That doesn’t sound healthy."

His conservative conclusion? "[Gays] go through all this stuff, sounds to me like that’s not very healthy. Why don’t we regulate homosexuality?"

The many candidates and politicians with whom Barton has worked, including Marco Rubio, Newt Gingrich and Sharron Angle, should be asked what they think of his plan, especially in relation to the Tea Party's small government ideology.

Comments

1. Disgusted American says

wow- talk about SICK people…this guy has mental problems….and as always – Those that Shout the loudest..hmmmmm, He sufferes from Gay face too……someone,anyone…follow this clown….lets OUT HIM.

2. One of the CA 36,000 says

I have a related proposal for right-wing asshat David Barton:

Since evangelical Christianity and its pernicious evil can be blamed for so much of society’s ills, shouldn’t the US government get involved in wiping evangelical Christianity from the face of the earth? Starting with YOU, David Barton, you hateful fuck.

Or is that too mean?

3. Jack M says

Just when you thought you’d heard it all. Regulate homosexuality? I’d love to hear his plan on how to do it. Perhaps he’d like to do some research in the field first?

4. Jon B says

I’m assuming he is not the proprietor of the gym chain that bares his name?

It would be really bad business for that place to advocate throwing all of their clientele in jail.

5. Johnnie B says

Gay people commit suicide in such high numbers because of vile people like David Barton. Preventative health-care is much more cost effective than treating pre-existing conditions. Let us develop that logic…

6. Chris K says

If he wants to help stop gay suicide, he should just quit slandering homosexuality with his hate speech that further deepens the depression and anxiety gay teenagers suffer from.

On a side note, he looks like a cross between a surprised Gilbert Gottfried and a chipmunk.

7. says

Where can I apply to be the Homo Czar? Does this mean I can pick and choose who gets to be gay (Ryan Reynolds, YES!; Maggie Gallagher, NOOOOO!). Would I get an allowance to redecorate my office? So many questions I want to ask this closet case Barton.

8. Randy says

Does that mean that if in a year there are less than a threshold amount of homosexuals that the government would have to force some straight people to go gay?

I’d like to volunteer to be a part of the gay police who enforce it!

9. Mike in the Tundra says

I have some questions about his statistics. First, his sentence about suicide made absolutely no sense. That aside, his statistic about dying decades earlier is outlandish. No one knows how many homosexuals there are. In a few decades, that information may be available. Presently, we know that many older, closeted homosexuals go to their graves without ever coming out of the closet. Many older gay men become isolated, and we lose track of them. Our local gay rag just had an article about the Prime Timers. It is an organization for gay and bisexual men 55 and older. It is a worldwide organization. If none of us are going to live to be that old, why have such an organization?

Rightwingers making up their own statistics really is low. Although, it is nothing new.

10. patrick nyc says

Too bad us liberals don’t go postal like the right wing does. You always hear and see the religious nuts shooting up workplaces or those they hate. Why can’t we hire some liberal nut cases to do the same, I’d sign up Barton for first target.

11. says

Here’s a novel idea. How about regulating people like him being allowed to procreate.
    Too many ignorant people making baby’s who in turn grow up to be ignorant people making baby’s and on and on and on ad nauseum.

12. mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com says

Come on, people. Did you not look at the picture? I’m surprised he’s had a cock out of his mouth long enough to say anything!

Posted by: Skeptical Cicada | Oct 6, 2010 4:30:33 PM

Yepp, he looks like a country queen

13. Jay says

I think we should regulate idiot breeders like this!Lets start by castrating this stupid fuck so he wont procreate!People like this are the reasons kids commit suicide.

14. anon says

I propose we ignore him and make him go away. However, he was probably denigrating regulation more than homosexuality. As in, if we can’t regulate H we can’t regulate transfat either. Otherwise, he would be in favor of regulating both, which I doubt.

15. jamal49 says

Another evangelical ass-wipe. He’s spewing the latest evangie-con propaganda that gay men are “disease-ridden” and have life-expectancies half of those for heterosexual men. As for the suicide rate claim, Barton the Butt-boy tosses out the “7 times more likely to commit suicide” lie without once considering that if that stat is true (it is not), then maybe it’s the homophobia against and repression of gays that are responsible. All those “statistics” are made-up. Their source actually are the AFA and the FRC with a little help from various rightist “think tanks” whose clear agenda is to make LGBT people seem as vile and disgusting as possible. Makes me want to go postal.

16. Charles says

100% of wives in abusive marriages are abused by their husbands. Bearing a child can result in many health risks (and sometimes death) that women who choose not to have children do not experience. Seems like those need to be regulated too.

Just for the record, contemplating suicide and committing suicide are two different things. So that “seven times” quote is misleading. I have contemplated suicide (due to depression) but I have not attempted not committed actual suicide. Of course, if you tell people that the feelings they have, through not fault of their own, and which they are not able to control, are bad and evil and perverted, then naturally, many of them may consider suicide.