Gay Marriage | Iowa | News | Steve King

BigGayDeal.com

Iowa Rep. Steve King Equates Gays Raising Children to Having Them 'Raised in Warehouses'

King

King talked to the Iowa Independent and warned that if "traditional" marriage is not saved, children will be raised in warehouses, so to speak:

“I think that if we can’t defend marriage, that it becomes very hard to defend life. Marriage is the crucible by which we pour all of our values and pass them on to our children, and that is how the culture is renewed each time. So, if we lose marriage — for instance, if our children are raised in warehouses, so to speak. There have been civilizations that have tried to do that. The Spartans did that. They took the children away and taught them to be warriors. It’s a good way to defend a country, but not much of a way to run a civilization. So, I’m afraid if that happened — if we lose the marriage, we lose the home, we lose the nuclear family then we can’t teach our values. We won’t be able to teach our faith. We won’t be able to teach life. We won’t be able to teach our Constitutional values either. That’s why I’m afraid it’s going to be very, very difficult to defend life.”

Watch King try to defend his position regarding ousting judges by popular vote in an interview with the Courage Campaign on the 'Judge Bus' tour, AFTER THE JUMP...

Related...
Watch: Insane wingnuts on the 'Judge Bus' tour.
Watch: Iowa NOM Supporter Equates Gay Marriage to Goat Marriage [tr]
Guide to the Tube: Iowa 'Judge Bus' Bigot Edition [tr]
Anti-Gay Hate Groups Launch Bus Tour Targeting Pro-Equality Judges in Iowa [tr]
Marriage Equality Under Attack in Iowa on Eve of Bus Tour [tr]

Comments

1. He just ruined my Spartan costume idea

Posted by: Name | Oct 29, 2010 9:05:16 AM

2. Wait, Republicans defend life? Interesting. I'll try reminding them about that the next time they get all butt-hurt about oil industry regulations...

Posted by: MJ | Oct 29, 2010 9:10:09 AM

3. What is this "lose marriage" garbage? Straight people aren't losing marriage if gay couples can get married. Straight couples can still get married! Gays and straights don't overlap, dumbass! Straight men do not leave their wives and kids, choose to be gay, then raise children "in a warehouse".
    *slams head against wall*

Seriously, just how fucking stupid can these politicians get? I'm thinking our country needs to enforce an I.Q. test before these idiots can be elected. If you're stupider than a turnip, you can't be a Representative. -- Sorry. I didn't mean to insult turnips by comparing them to Mr. King.

Posted by: David in Houston | Oct 29, 2010 9:22:28 AM

4. Steve, Steve, you silly goose. Gay couples having the right to marry doesn't make you lose anything. If you lose marriage, blame heterosexual divorce. You've already done a good job screwing up the nuclear family.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 29, 2010 9:24:01 AM

5. So glad that people feel comfortable now to be PUBLIC homophobes. Maybe we can get Anderson to talk to him, as he's apparently the only one with balls to take on people who spout this nonsense.

Posted by: Tigerama | Oct 29, 2010 9:26:56 AM

6. This marriage thing he's so quick to defend already gave us warehouses for children. They were called orphanages. It didn't work out too well.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Oct 29, 2010 9:27:29 AM

7. So gay parents are like Spartans. . . ? raising kids in warehouses. . . ? to be warriors. . . ? What?

What kind of overmedicated, pararanoid schizophrenic pothead's view of gay parenting is he getting, anyway? And how? And why?

Has he been picking Pat Robertson's brain?

And notice the way he said "Our" (That just deserved a capital letter) Constitutional values. Like all straight parents have memorized the Constitution and practice and realize it every day. Like they could all tell you about the Full Faith and Credit clause if Jay Leno walked up to them on the street with a camera and a microphone. Like gay parents don't live under the same Constitution. It's not even a Constitutional issue and it's not like he really cares about the Constitution, but damned if he won't throw everything he can at the wall to see what sticks.

Posted by: ophu | Oct 29, 2010 9:34:11 AM

8. nd people actuallu support this nitwit? wow.....stupidty runs rampant in america (at this point, this country doesn't deserve to be spelled with a capital A)

Posted by: Disgusted American | Oct 29, 2010 9:52:24 AM

9. Justiceontherocks is dead-on; that's exactly what I thought of. There are hundreds of thousands of kids in orphanages and the foster care system in this country, most of them non-white (often black but occasionally Latino), some with physical/emotional/mental handicaps. Many, if not most, of these kids will languish in "the system" before being released--ta da!--into society or the street at 18. Yet there are still any number of states that officially (or unofficially) bar gays from adopting or fostering kids--right-wing Christians would rather throw these kids away in the juvenile system, rather than have them find loving homes with same-sex parents. They would sacrifice these kids' lives and future happiness on the altar of their own self-righteousness and hard-heartedness.

COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere) and other groups like it really need to be stepping up right now to counter these bigots and their hate. When Americans see happy, healthy kids who've been raised by same-sex parents and turned out just fine (sometimes even better than their counterparts raised by straight parents, depending), attitudes and laws change. (Hey, we finally made some progress in Florida!)

Posted by: Dback | Oct 29, 2010 9:52:49 AM

10. What's wrong with being raised in a whorehouse? Oh, sorry....

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 29, 2010 9:56:23 AM

11. Um, hate to be a spoiler, but wasn't it the US Govt that removed children from their indigenous families in order to assimilate them to American culture???

It's a rhetorical questions, because the answer is, yes.

Small people always think when you have more, it must mean that they have less.

Posted by: pete | Oct 29, 2010 10:01:08 AM

12. What a lunatic fantasia on a theme.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 29, 2010 10:12:13 AM

13. "If we can't defend marriage...", "if we lose marriage..." He is deliberately talking as if same-sex marriage were not already legal in Iowa. This is part of our opponents' rhetorical strategy, to deny that the issue has already gone the other way and to make the ignorant among their followers think that with their vote (or, more accurately, their dollars) gay marriage can be "prevented."

They need to be called on these distortions every time. They need to be asked, "But same-sex marriage is already here. Where is the proof of the harms you claim?"

Posted by: Gianpiero | Oct 29, 2010 10:14:53 AM

14. Is it just me or did this guy just cite equal protection in the Constitution as if it obviously stands for unequal protection?

He wants rule by caste system, not constitutional rule. He might somehow have a large IQ--but he lacks a soul.

He's kind of a Scrooge figure... "Don't expect me to share MY privileges."

If Tiny Tim were in an orphanage, this guy would have the gall to call that a better life for Tiny Tim.

I wonder what his ghost of Christmas future would look like.

I'm suring the ruling-caste writes him big checks for telling these lies, but at the end of the day, he's helped no one but himself...and only in a cold, narrow sense.

Ugly heartless bastard.

Posted by: justaguy | Oct 29, 2010 10:46:25 AM

15. @ DBACK: Yes, and there's also http://www.familyequality.org

These organizations also need our financial resources to be heard above the fray, give generously.

Posted by: David R. | Oct 29, 2010 11:50:48 AM

16. I think the real news is that he's comparing us to the Spartans.

"This is madness!"

"Madness? This is Frankie Goes to Hollywood! *kick*"

Posted by: 33mhz | Oct 29, 2010 11:51:32 AM

17. I'm so tired of being accused of trying to hijack marriage and force everyone to marry same sex partners! I just want to MARRY THE MAN I LOVE! Just let it go, the country is not going to hell in a handbasket just because gays are allowed to marry!

Posted by: mad1026 | Oct 29, 2010 11:57:26 AM

18. AKA we won't be able to teach them our bigoted values (I bet they still would anyway)

Posted by: ravewulf | Oct 29, 2010 12:07:43 PM

19. Let me see if I got this right: By obtaining the legal protections to keep gay families TOGETHER, we are then taking children AWAY from their families to raise them in warehouses.

...

Wait, what?

Posted by: Mana | Oct 29, 2010 12:38:34 PM

20. As I sit here HAND-SEWING my adoptive daughter's Halloween costume, I wanna take this needle and shove it right thru this idiot's eyes. UGH!!!!

Posted by: Chris | Oct 29, 2010 9:29:25 PM

21. I would think that marriage of any kind (versus being unmarried) is family-building.

Like I could see all these pro-marriage people being anti-non marrieds having kids on the argument of lack of stability, yadda yadda...

But why not support gay marriage, gay married's having kids, etc? That to me is anti-warehouse, or something...

I don't know. I think the warehouse threw me of and I'm talking out my ass.

Posted by: Rin | Oct 30, 2010 11:19:50 AM

22. Well, I just spent the day at home with my two sons, while my husband was at work. I helped the older boy with his castle-building project (history class in middle school). When my husband got home, we had dinner together. Tomorrow, we'll all get up Sunday morning and have BREAKFAST together. Then my husband will relax at home with his family, and I'll catch up on laundry and the dishes while the boys play video games with each other.

And this is what Rep. King (R-Moon) is so adamant about protecting America from - families like mine. It's really bizarre.

Posted by: Robert | Oct 30, 2010 11:57:45 PM

23. Steve King uses his homophobic rhetoric to mask the fact that he's a closet gay. Many in congress have known this for years. He takes hypocrisy to a whole new level.

Posted by: Roller | Nov 8, 2010 6:33:35 AM

24. As a lesbian & a mother, I can tell you right now that having my children with me, and away from their father's bigoted, hateful family & influence, is easily the best thing that could ever have happened to them.

My son & daughter are open, non-prejudiced, supportive of me & anyone they see being bullied. I am so proud of how they've become so accepting & such beautiful people. The times they visit these other family members- they always come back disturbed with what is said & talked about by these haters. My children see the hate now- & they are turning away from it.

Just figured I'd let you know that some of us "gay-folk" are actually passing along the values of fairness & equality to our children.

Posted by: Tracy | Sep 12, 2011 11:40:06 PM