Immigration | News | Tea Party

Tea Party's Anti-Islam Adherents Seek International Allies

EDL-1

The Tea Party has always presented itself as a grass-roots, red-blooded American movement. As the political coalition evolves, however, the Party's starting to seek allies in unexpected places, like in Britain, the land Tea Partiers are so proud to have overthrown.

Britain's Observer elaborates:

The English Defence League, a far-right grouping aimed at combating the "Islamification" of British cities, has developed strong links with the American Tea Party movement.

An Observer investigation has established that the EDL has made contact with anti-jihad groups within the Tea Party organisation and has invited a senior US rabbi and Tea Party activist to London this month. Rabbi Nachum Shifren, a regular speaker at Tea Party conventions, will speak about Sharia law and also discuss funding issues.

The league has also developed links with Pamela Geller, who was influential in the protests against plans to build an Islamic cultural centre near Ground Zero. Geller, darling of the Tea Party's growing anti-Islamic wing, is advocating an alliance with the EDL. The executive director of the Stop Islamisation of America organisation, she recently met EDL leaders in New York and has defended the group's actions, despite a recent violent march in Bradford.

Comments

1. Muslims, Catholics, Orthodox Jews, Mormons, Baptists--the hell with all of them. Each one of these religions preaches bigotry. Each one turns parents against their children on the basis of some ancient "Holy Book," written by--who knows? Each religion tries to make itself powerful by holding "holy" rituals at every important event in the human life cycle, and then ostracizes those from the ceremonies who don't buy into their fantasies.

Why should gay people give a damn about religious freedom in Britain or America? "Religious" people--e.g. the fanatics--hate us. I am perfectly willing to return the favor.

Posted by: candideinnc | Oct 11, 2010 10:11:05 AM

2. TEA - The Egomaniacal Association:
    Please lookup egomaniacal in webster's.
    These people are so self-involved that they can't see they are undermining their own welbeing.

And like the right-wingers of the "W" area, they are looking for scape-goats to blame the problems on. It is the slight-of-hand, distract and divert.

And yet, people are still "fooled"

Posted by: Daya | Oct 11, 2010 11:29:56 AM

3. Attempting to foment a culture war is beyond loathsome. Is there no level to which these opportunists will not sink?

Posted by: Tone | Oct 11, 2010 11:46:52 AM

4. "Well, nice to see that anti-Islamic attitudes are bringing people together. Here I thought they were divisive, cruel and an affront to our constitution. Silly me."

Thank you thank person-who-is-running-Andy's-blog-this-week! I was completely confused the whole time I was reading this post and overwhelmed thinking I was going to have to formulate some conclusion about this important issue, and then ohmigod thank you again you did my thinking for me in the last sentence! It is ever so much more fun to visit here when opinions on important matters are handed me at the door and I know I can just focus on the shirtless bohunk from 90210. Tell me do you think that's his real hair color? I am not sure it is at all, but I'm happy to believe whatever you believe about that too.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 11, 2010 11:52:18 AM

5. Well ... Muslim immigrants have changed Amsterdam from a gay mecca to the gay-bashing capital of Europe. I think American gays have enough worries without encouraging more Muslims in the US. And if you think that because Americans Muslims are a minority that they will find unity with American gays ... you are delusional.

Posted by: Bob | Oct 11, 2010 11:57:07 AM

6. Being Muslim automatically equals gaybasher...O.K. What amount of gay Muslims are out there though?

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Oct 11, 2010 12:19:05 PM

7. So British nationalists are wearing burkas now to protest 'Islamification'. Oh the irony.

Posted by: Skye Winspur | Oct 11, 2010 12:26:57 PM

8. I think the Teaparty will find friends with the Nazi Skinheads that seem to be so popular with the bottom barrel of European society. (See Serbia)

Posted by: zeddy | Oct 11, 2010 12:55:50 PM

9. Most Muslim-majority countries enact the death penalty for sodomy and homosexual activities. Mass immigration of Islamic fundamentalists in western Europe have brought increased violence against lesbian and gay people. Enactment of sharia law comes at the peril of our community.

So help me understand why fighting oppressive Islamic laws is a bad thing?

Posted by: Rik | Oct 11, 2010 1:12:43 PM

10. Islam on Towleroad, it never ends.

Posted by: enough already | Oct 11, 2010 1:16:05 PM

11. I'm based in the UK and have read about the Tea Party Nutters here many times - I've tried to get an understanding of what kind of organisation they are and now I have a point of reference. If they are forging strong links with the English Defence League (EDL), I can now better see just what nutters the Tea Party really are.

Want to know a bit more about what the EDL are like? Check out the reports of a recent EDL demo where the Sky News truck was attacked:

Posted by: Craigo | Oct 11, 2010 1:53:31 PM

12. Of course I didn't write that...my stalker did. Hey, unthinking blob, get hit by a car.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 11, 2010 5:34:01 PM

13. @Tank : you have a stalker ? Lucky bastard.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 11, 2010 5:44:41 PM

14. @Bob. Here's the article. Even "moderate" Islamists are homophobes, so I can't even begin to identify with Muslims at this point. http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/ezra_levant/2010/10/08/15630946.html

Posted by: Mike B. | Oct 12, 2010 12:26:44 AM

15. There is no national tea party organization. It is a collective of individually run groups. Each is autonomous. No one from a foreign country can contact Tea Party Headquarters, because there isn't one. Linking anti islamic "forces" in Europe to the supposed Tea Party central command (as the story suggests) is impossible. No one has the authority to mobilize one Tea Party member to do anything. There isn't even a memebership card! This is why Obama is so freaked out about Tea Party people - they are a groundswell movement of unrest caused by irrational and hurtful policies that stifle economic growth and bring government deep into our lives. Since there is no head, there is nothing to strike at. As for Islamic Rule, those bastards want gay people dead, and anyone that does not stand up and say that is not paying close enough attention to Iran and other Islamic countries. Or do you want to see fifteen and sixteen year old gay boys struggling at the end of a rope in Illinois?

Posted by: ted | Oct 12, 2010 8:31:25 AM

16. Funny they say Islamization.

I dont see the setting up of a mosque or an Islamic thing as Islamization.I see that as freedom.I mean,when you have a significant or somewhat significant number of Muslims in the country,you expect them to have no visibility whatsoever?

I'm sorry,but Islam has become a facet of many European countries.All the fault of those European countries for accepting Muslims in,in the first place.

A number of European countries brought in Muslim guest workers decades ago and then said they can stay here regardless of whether they accept and/or understand the culture and laws of the country.

Very smart of those European countries to do so! And look at the mess they've created!

It's somewhat difficult to intergrate Muslims into mainstream society because Islam is totalitarian.But then again,not all Muslims follow the Quran.There are also many Muslims who lead a Western lifestyle but still consider themselves Muslim.They either dont practise the religion at all(usually they're spiritual) or practise parts of it.And then there are those who personalize the religion.That is why you have gay Muslims.These gays are born Muslim.

Not all Muslims want the sharia law.This whole Islamophobia fiasco going on throughout the West is pure Eurocentrism and even racism.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 12, 2010 10:38:31 AM