Bullying | Michael Kors | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #755: It Gets Better Edition

The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, fashion designer and Project Runway judge Michael Kors, actor Kyle Dean Massey of Next to Normal, and the Brooklyn-based band Baby Alpaca, lend their voices to the "It Gets Better" project.

For recent Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. Kyle Dean = YUMMY. He also happens to be quite talented and, oh yeah, his IGB video is a good one too!

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 19, 2010 1:00:11 PM

2. yay! the nuns! good friends of mine and good to see zsa zsa manifest since she does it so rarely anymore.

Posted by: alguien | Oct 19, 2010 1:11:10 PM

3. The sisters? c'mon! Why not just get some clowns to make a video. This is no way helps the majority of kids out there just trying to make it through their school day.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 19, 2010 1:22:14 PM

4. Looks like Baby Alpaca is being worn on the lead singer's chest!

Posted by: Michael Korsini | Oct 19, 2010 1:29:34 PM

5. Because if there's anyone a confused and bullied 13-year-old Midwestern kid is going to relate to, it's the Sisters.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 19, 2010 1:47:51 PM

6. AfterElton.com has an interview with Kyle Dean Massey about his video. And more photos!

Posted by: TOM A. | Oct 19, 2010 2:45:22 PM

7. JSYK paul r & mike, the sisters do a lot of good work for gay youth and people with AIDS/HIV among other causes. why are you belittling them?

Posted by: alguien | Oct 19, 2010 2:45:31 PM

8. If I was a suicidal gay teen and saw those freakshows telling me it "got better" I would fully off myself then and there. #FAIL

Posted by: cholo | Oct 19, 2010 5:27:24 PM

9. Isn't the whole point of It Gets Better to present young people with a RANGE of voices that may speak to them? The video of the Sisters will speak to some people more than the videos of more 'regular' looking folks - and if it helps at least one kid, then it's more than worth it.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 19, 2010 8:11:19 PM

10. You are right Chris - the "sisters" could help a few kids but could make the situation worse for other kids out there. Their classmates could pull up their videos to further the bullying.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 19, 2010 9:49:08 PM

11. @Alguien: I wasn't belittling the Sisters. I know they are tireless in their community efforts. But even in SF they are often viewed with confusion (at best) by adults, gay and straight. If their video helps someone, great. Sister Roma and many of the others are sweet, hilarious people.

But I maintain my point that most kids (especially those living in the sticks) who see such images will think, Oh great---that's what it's all about? For the record, I've not been particularly impressed by many of the It Gets Better videos. Many seem egotistical or seem to be saying, Look if you wait long enough you can be on Broadway or be a fashion designer! I wish there were a broader range of messages and people delivering them.

I'm not disparaging the campaign, and I'm glad it's been such a quick success. But most teens are going to look at the Sisters and just not get it. Only a few of the people whose stories I've seen seem to realize they're supposed to be talking to traumatized teens and showing them that life as an LGBT adult offers a broad range of possibilities. Too many of the ones I've seen seem built on stereotypes.

And for the record, I was bullied relentlessly for several years when I was young.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 19, 2010 9:57:06 PM