Comments

1. Chad says

In light of some of the horrific stories of the last few weeks, this is wonderful. I’m sitting here all choked up over the family, the journalist, the teacher, and that adorable little boy. I have a friend that has a son very much like this that lives in a tiny Kansas town and her outlook is exactly like that in this story. I can’t wait for her to see this.

2. Tone says

My family was similar. The neighbor boy and I spent much of our childhood finding ladies clothes, putting them on and giving impromptu fashion shows for our families. Nothing was more fun on a Saturday afternoon than digging into the cedar chest for grandma’s old crinolines.

At ten I tried to dress like Miss Ross and lip synched “Theme From Mahogany” for my appreciative audience. I think that really good parents embrace their kids uniqueness and, all the while modeling and molding, allow them to grow into the person they are inside. I love you mom and dad!

3. Agosto says

I think it’s great that this family is supporting their kid but I question releasing the child’s name.

However, as he gets older, will he grow out of this or want to have these video clips on the web for every one, peers and potential employers, to see?

4. Patrick says

This reminds me of my childhood… my days of dressing up and playing with makeup, but at the same time playing sports and cowboys and indians… Love this child, love his parents. We need more people such as this in the world, fully able and willing to support, nurture and protect the expressions of individuality in our youth and children. Thank you for this.

AGOSTO: I understand your concern, but I honestly think that the supportive environment in which he is raised will give him a better sense of self-acceptance and understanding. I would kill to have videos of some of the stuff I used to do as a child. I would post them for all the world to see. If he grows to be embarrassed and self-hating, then something, at some point in his life would have gone TERRIBLY wrong. I just hope that doesn’t happen, and he remains as supported and carefree as I was, able to be who he is and not feel ashamed in the future. But, valid and understandable point.

5. sparks says

@AGOSTO

I think the point is to hope that when he’s older, some of these gender rules we impose on kids will be loosened or lifted, and maybe then, a little boy seen dressing up like a princess won’t be a thing of scorn; it’ll bd just as “cute” to others as it is to the more enlightened folks in our community.

6. sugarrhill says

I sent in this story and am overjoyed that Andy decided to include it on his site. See there are supportive families and communities out there and some are even, gasp, black!

7. Sooz says

This family’s support for their child makes my entire psyche smile and awaken long lost hope for us all.

My parents were extremely heavy handed meting out physical and emotional punishment for when I’d “dress up” and do what we’d now call a stand up routine in front of entry hall mirror. I’d put on ladies hats and accessories then mimic voices and body language of the type of person who would dress like that – accents and all.

All of it was to force myself to lose my Austrian accent the locals and my adoptive family despised and tormented me for having.

I was a little girl, dressing up like women to get physically pummeled then grounded..and couldn’t understand why my parents would adore and laugh at people on TV for doing the same thing as I.

It’s sounds ridiculous but it’s a memory that still haunts …from trying so hard to hide my accent/origins to avoid being tormented as an Austrian kid dragged here to the states in the mid-50’s.

Okay, done babbling now.

8. jamal49 says

What a wonderful world it would be if there were more families like this. It all begins in the home. I’ve seen no better example of unconditional love.

9. Theo says

The 8 year old boy is amazing, giving what he had to say to such an impromptu question about this thought. It’s clear that the parents has brought them up with love and compassion.

10. Paul R says

In preschool my best friend and I dressed in drag all the time, using the costumes and outfits in the classroom closet. Our teacher thought it was adorable and took many Polaroids of us.

About 10 years later I found out that my mother had destroyed the pictures, and my friend would no longer talk to me because I was too “weird.” So happy to see a story like this.