New York | News | Superheroes | Theatre | U2

Broadway's Spider-Man Underwent Rigorous Crotch Analysis

Spiderman

The record-breaking operational costs involved in staging the elaborate new Julie Taymor-U2 Spider-man musical included this:

“One whole day was devoted to make sure there was nothing inappropriate showing in the crotch area of the suit. Andrew (Garfield) should be flattered that it took so long to get that part right!”

Last night 60 Minutes offered a preview of the production. Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Sunday night's first preview was stopped at least five times for technical issues.

Comments

1. Wrong "Spider-Man", you mean Hollywood's Spider-Man. It's the new 'rebooted' movie and British skinny hunk Andrew Garfield the costume tests were for, not the musical.

Posted by: AndyB | Nov 29, 2010 10:41:51 AM

2. I hope it doesn't flop.

The show I mean.

Posted by: Philo | Nov 29, 2010 11:25:13 AM

3. This thing has "bomb" written all over it.

Posted by: Jacknasty | Nov 29, 2010 11:36:04 AM

4. I sort of want this to suceed. I'm sure the All That Talk queens are already planning a funeral.

Posted by: chrissypoo | Nov 29, 2010 11:47:47 AM

5. I want to believe... really... I do... but I think I will wait for the movie version.

Posted by: Rad | Nov 29, 2010 11:51:44 AM

6. While I'm amused that costume padding is considered newsworthy, I'm also a bit distressed as the sexualizing of movie characters. Marvel Comics has long been at pains to bring the characters' "civilian" lives into some kind of reality. This "airbrushing" to "get it right" is just more bowing and scraping before the god of propriety.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Nov 29, 2010 12:13:26 PM

7. So a woman catcalled, "I feel like it's a dress rehearsal"? Umm, it's a preview, so basically it is a dress rehearsal---you just paid a lot to see it early.

I thought this would be a joke, but it's gotten so much press, involves U2, and has elaborate stunts. Most families visiting NY for the holidays will want to go, so it will at least do incredibly well for the first month---and probably for a while after unless every single review is abysmal.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 29, 2010 1:34:12 PM

8. What could possibly be inappropriate in the crotch area of the suit? Does the actor have an extra penis?

Posted by: Randy | Nov 29, 2010 4:34:21 PM

9. AndyB said it. Wrong Spiderman. Andrew is playing Peter Parker in the Movie reboot by Marc Webb, not the Julie Tamor clusterfuck that is happening on stage.

Really should verify these things before they go to print. Otherwise you look like Fox News.

Posted by: Liam | Nov 29, 2010 5:12:01 PM

10. Well... if it's not a complete clusterfuck (which I kind of think it easily could be), this could be one of the most amazing, must-see things ever.

... but the posters are right, Andrew Garfield is in the rebooted movie that's currently filming. Too bad about the bulge thing... every costume could use a good bulge :P

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 29, 2010 5:35:11 PM